Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I bought 2 Nokia lumia 520 2 weeks ago to replace my parents' faulty phones from att. We're post paid subscribers for almost 2 years. Since then only one out of three lines had been unlocked by att since we don't really travel overseas or switch to other network. Before I ordered the phones online I rang att customer support to check if I could get these phones unlocked IN LIEU to my parents existing faulty phones. Customer support told me that it is possible. So I place my orders, as soon as I received the phones I submitted a request to unlock the devices. Few days later no feedback received from att. My parents were travelling overseas so they needed to get these phones unlocked, they refuse to use their existing phones as they're malfunctioning. I rang att again another told me she would submit another request but this time round she couldn't tell me if it's possible as I may have to wait for six months to get it unlocked
I was surprised. The information from u guys were inconsistent. Different agents have different information contracting each other . today I received an email from att informing me that my request couldn't be process as I've to wait for six months. Now the phones are overseas with my parents waiting to get unlocked. My parents have no means of contacting us back home because they're phones wont work with other network. And this is because of all the inconsistent information given to us by our service provider. Sucks. Really sucks. Not even sure if we could return all the phones when my parents come home a month later. It's ridiculous that att isn't capable of being lenient to its subscribers. I wonder how to other service providers treat their customers...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I wish people would stop the trolling on here. 

If the phone is paid off, and it is not stolen, with a clean imei number then they will unlock it.

I bought a lumia 920 on Ebay last week. Submitted my unlock form on Fri, today just now I got the email with my unlock code.  Today is a SUNDAY.  And I am not even an At&t customer, I just clicked the "used to be customer" option and entered the # that i used to have with at&t about 5 years ago. 

I am baffled as to how so many of you actual at&t customers are claiming that you can't get unlocks.  I'll admit im luckier than some of those that don't have a past at&t account like me to enter but still, it means you don't even have to be an existing customer or enter the current phones last at&t number. 

How is it that I got my unlock code, I ask all you trolls?  Got it within 50 hours, on a sunday. 

And to tx600 shooter , if you want to seriously  tell people you were told by at&t reps that 5 gb data would cost $700 then I'd tell you to seriously consider if maybe you weren't even speaking to at&t.  Maybe some scammer in Serbia?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

U got yours on eBay. I bought mine on att website. Att said ive to be in service for six months.. Its like being in a contract too. Doesn't make sense.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I bought mine while on holiday in the USA at Target. I live in Australia where AT&T have no service. Therefore how am I supposed to have the service for at least 6 months? Does this mean my phone will never be unlocked? I fully comprehend the need for AT&T to make profits and not give their phones away but it doesn't seem reasonable either to deny overseas customers the ability to use their phones...not to mention environmentally irresponsible.

Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

What category do No Contract AT&T phones bought on the Microsoft store fall under?

Prepaid or Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment?

Also, I can't seem to see the difference between

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment 

and

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment . It seems to have your Postpaid device with service commitment unlocked, you first of all have to convert it into one without a service commitment. Am I right?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello,

I got a Nokia Lumia 520 as a gift from my friend from Maryland. It is a AT&T go phone and has a SIM Card which, obviously, hasn't been activated (I even don't know the number associated). I'm Italian and I live in Italy right now but I've lived in the States for work (I'm in the Military). I would like to have this phone unlocked but the application online doesn't allow me to do that. I can pay for that but I don't even know if it is possible. On the other side I don't want to send the phone back to my friend telling him that his gift is unusable.

Please let me know if there is a chance to unlock the phone in this situation.

Thank you 

v/r

Gianni

PS: I miss the States

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello! I'm from China and bought a Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet from amazon. There is an AT&T sim card inside and I activated it as a prepaid GoPhone account. But when I tried to forward an unlock request through https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, the website said that "This device is not currently eligible to be unlocked." I bought the tablet from amazon at the full retail cost without contract with AT&T, why can't it be unlocked? The IMEI:

[Edited for privacy.]

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Hello. I bought a LUMIA 1020 several months ago from Amazon. It's a no-contract full price phone. And I am from China. However, it can't be used in China unless unlock it. I asked the carrier AT&T for the unlock code and explain that it's a no-contract full price phone and I have paid full price, besides, I can provide the official receipt and proof from Amazon to prove it’s a full price no-contract phone and really not a smuggling phone. However, they refused it still. They said I must be user of AT&T and have the Social Security Number and Wireless number in America that they can provide the unlock code. Unfortunately, I don’t have these things because I am from China. Could you help me apply for the unlock code?

Thank you very much

Sincerely LIU

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@anythingforu wrote:

Hello. I bought a LUMIA 1020 several months ago from Amazon. It's a no-contract full price phone. And I am from China. However, it can't be used in China unless unlock it. I asked the carrier AT&T for the unlock code and explain that it's a no-contract full price phone and I have paid full price, besides, I can provide the official receipt and proof from Amazon to prove it’s a full price no-contract phone and really not a smuggling phone. However, they refused it still. They said I must be user of AT&T and have the Social Security Number and Wireless number in America that they can provide the unlock code. Unfortunately, I don’t have these things because I am from China. Could you help me apply for the unlock code?

Thank you very much

Sincerely LIU

Unfortunately, if you never had service with AT&T, they will not provide an unlock code.

https://www.google.com/search?q=at%26t+unlock+phones&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

It doesn't help much now, but for future reference, I would never buy a locked phone with the intention of unlocking it.

A couple non-AT&T options:

1. Amazon has pretty good customer service. Can you contact them and see if you can return your phone for a refund?

2. If you Google, there are a number of non-service-provider ways purchase phone unlocks. Beware, though, the legality of such options varies by jurisdiction and you probably have little recourse if it doesn't work.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Nobody love AT&T so much that we spend our time here 'trolling', if AT&T could solve our issues.

I did the same through phone calls and the website, all I got was 'not eligible'.

P.S. Bought mine brand new, full-price-off-contract, at Microsoft Store.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.