For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

You should have purchased an unlocked phone. It is AT&T's right to control phones purchased on their network and the unlocking thereof. If a phone locked to AT&T's network is purchased, it is assumed that it will be used on their network, so they expect some income from that phone. Thus the reason for some unlocked phones to be higher priced than the locked ones.
If you had no plan on using the phone on the AT&T network, you should have let the sales person know that and they could have told you that you needed to buy the unlocked version.
When you buy a phone from any wireless provider, it is locked to their network and there are rules that must be followed before the phone is unlocked.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have been on ATT for so many years that I cannot even remember how long. My Motorola feature phone (mini SIM card) is deteriorating due to age. 

My wife has a never-been-used GoPhone, but using a SIM card in different format.

I wonder may I have my mini SIM card exhanged for the smaller format and insert into the GoPhone? Will this work?

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

When I moved from my old GoPhone feature phone to my current Lumia 520 smartphone the AT&T person at their store simply copied my old SIM to a new micro SIM then installed it in the new phone. I believe that with a smart phone you need at least a minimum smart phone account, ie. the $25 per month plan listed on this page...

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I bought lumia 1020 at microsoft store website, unclocked device and without contract, now I'm in my country, and for my surprise I need ATT pin code for use, how could be, if I didn't buy at Att store, and I bought at the right way..... Really disappointed! Every 6 months I'm in USA and use ATT prepaid phones, but If I'm not a citizen of course that I don't have any account, and i can't have my pin code????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I bought 2 lumia 1520 in Microsoft store last Christmas when i travel to US. But i don't know what exactly No Contract phone mean. When i back to my country and open them, they don't work in my GSM. Then i know that my phone was locked. I don't know what can i do now. I read from unlock request and in this thread, i must wait 6 months to unlock. But i can't activated them so i don't know i can unlock them or not after 6 months :(.

please help me this case. I can paid more to unlock them by paypal or cc or whatever. They are my gift for my wife in Christmas :((

thank for reading!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi, last week I was on a business trip in USA and purchased a Lumia 520 GoPhone with the intention to use it where I live, in Germany...

My assumption was that 'contract free' means that I would be able to use it with a non-att simcard, not recognizing, that this seems not to be possible?!

Is there any way to get the phone working over here, or can I bin it immediately?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Dear Dmitriy

I am living in India. Two month back when my friend living in USA visited India, gifted me a Nokia Lumia 520 phone with SIM locked (Go Phone). 

I am not able to get it unlocked here. How do I get it unlocked ?

With Regards

Srinivasan Narayanan

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I received an unlock code fom the portal but I cannot get it to work. It is for a Lumina 520. I followed the instructions but it did not unlock.  What is strange is that the unlock code was the imei #. What can I do.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Dear Dimitriy

I understand that there are many like me with the same problem.

Is it not possible for AT& T to make it easier atleast for those who have the locked phone & are living outside USA ? What is the benefit AT& T is going to get by not providing the unlocking code ? If it were an US account then it was right on AT& part not to provide the unlocking code.

As an employee of AT& T, I am sure you can take this up with AT&T and provide the code to those living outside USA. We are not able to use the phone at all. What is the point in having a dead phone ?

Please help.

Thanks in anticipation of your action.

Best Regards

Srinivasan

[edited for privacy]

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

hi, i am not resident of usa and i want unlock my nokia lumia who can help me,i can not register on AT&T for chating to techical suport because i have not at&t wireless number

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.