Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Good Morning,

Usually an unlocking request can take up to 14 businsss days to complete. If you submited online it can take longer than usually calling into Customer Care, or using the Online Web Chat.

In most cases as long as your account is in good standing and you have had your device for at least 6 months, you can request an unlock code. This requirement is different for iPhones.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have a similar question. I got a nokia lumia 520.. i want to know if i could black wireless for 6 months and then get it unlocked.. Or if i use a AT&T pay as you go for about $20 totally for six months and then unlock it.. is there any limit on the total refills? T-mobile policy for unlocking 521 clearly says "you have had more than $50 in total refills on the device".. Does AT&T has a similar limit?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi,

I also have problem with unlocking my Nokia Lumia 820 Phone.

Bought from US Ebay in broken state and now after repairing the phone I got the message "insert unlock code".

So its locked to AT&T. I filled the form for unlock the phone but got decline message. Also tried it via the seller and he got also decline. Called and also e-mailed to a customer support and told them about my problem. They just say if I am not a AT&T customer or former customer theres nothing can be done. What ??? Its like being raisist 😞
Sorry but... {word filter evasion} I must do now? Use a unlocking service what is sold in Ebay about 100$ ?

I just cant send phone back also as I have repaired it to a working order.

How can it be unlocked?

If the unlock code would be about 20$ somewhere I would buy it but overall I am thinking if even customer support cant help me then who can ?

Right now I am thinking the AT&T firm policy is {word filter evasion} and this way they only lose clients.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi nl820,

AT&T will unlock a device. However the device you bought must be not tied any contract commitment from the previous owner and they would have to submit for the unlock code for you.

Based off the launch date of a little over a year ago, most likely it was still under contract.

Otherwise you would have to be an existing customer with active service before you could submit for the code.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@logo412 wrote:

Hi nl820,

AT&T will unlock a device. However the device you bought must be not tied any contract commitment from the previous owner and they would have to submit for the unlock code for you.

Based off the launch date of a little over a year ago, most likely it was still under contract.

Otherwise you would have to be an existing customer with active service before you could submit for the code.

That's bogus, either a lie OR ATT as a company is so bad that even employees aren't sure what the deal is.  Even if you are an EXISITNG customer with active service, AT&T will NOT unlock your phone even if you have only 3 months left on your contract. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same problem, I got it as a gift found. Christmas in from the Caribbean.
is there any help for me, eBay should make it known.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Guys if you are having trouble getting at&t to unlock your device, file an FCC complaint. Refer to the agreement between the FCC and major wireless carriers including at&t on December 12, 2013  Here is the link http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/12/us-usa-wireless-unlocking-idUSBRE9BB05320131212

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I got a nokia lumia go phone (pre-paid) phone

AT&T terms for unlock-
Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months

I know I can just insert my postpaid sim card to use in this phone

question is if I want it to be un-lock  ---> Can I put my Extra ATT Post-paid sim card to use it and wait for 6 months later, does it qualify AT&T terms and ask ATT to unlock for me to use overseas sim card?

THANKS

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

hi All,

I recently purchased nokia lumia 520 att no contract gophone to gift my dad back in India, thinking that since its a no contract phone I can use it with other carriers too. To my utter shock and dismay, when I replaced sim on reaching India, it displayed screen to enter 20 digit pin to unlock the phone.

I raised a request with att to unlock my device, they rejected it saying gophone must be used for 6 months before it can be unlocked. I just don't understand how att can coerce its customers to use its own services on a no contract phone. I see that's an implicit 6 months contract, you cannot switch carriers on that device for that period.

What's exacerbating the situation is that, there is no way one can get this device unlocked, even if one is ready to pay some unlocking fees. Even postpaid on contract phone have option of paying the remainging price of device to get it unlocked before contract experies. I wonder why that option is not available in gophone.

When I search online, I see many customers falling prey for this 'no contract' mumbo jumbo, and bought unusable nokia lumia 520 bricks accross the world.  I hope att listens to them and provide a way to unlock the device. If you guys know a way to unlock the device, help me out.

Thanks!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hi I'm from Dominican republic I have a Nokia Lumia 520 and I can't unlock it please I need help
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.