Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2013
12:07:48 PM
View profile
[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:56:33 PM

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 9, 2014 1:03:57 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello everyone, the device unlock policies have changed, and we started a new thread with updated info. Please use click HERE to see the new device unlock policy and please feel free to ask any related questions in there.

This topic is now closed.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

[ Edited ]
266 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
View all replies
(266)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 5:38:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920 and Bad Customer Service

30 of 267 (14,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 7:38:26 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Nov 29, 2013 at 11:50:38 AM

The reason I asked if you had an account with AT&T is because one of the requirement for an unlock is that the person requesting it must be a current or former AT&T customer:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. (meaning it was purchased off contract or the contract is completed by AT&T customer, or device is paid off under Next program)
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

The only thing you can do is call 1-800-331-0500 and check if there is anything else that can be done, but unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

The reason I asked if you had an account with AT&T is because one of the requirement for an unlock is that the person requesting it must be a current or former AT&T customer:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. (meaning it was purchased off contract or the contract is completed by AT&T customer, or device is paid off under Next program)
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

The only thing you can do is call 1-800-331-0500 and check if there is anything else that can be done, but unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Re: Off contract Lumia 920 unlock

[ Edited ]
31 of 267 (14,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 7:51:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by TX6shooter on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:09:44 AM

Policy change or not, you can't deny the facts. I unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 using AT&T's device unlock webpage. None of these 2 phone met the requirements, they were both well within the 2 year contract.

I since upgraded and I am unable to unlock the new phones. Joan Marsh, AT&T’s VP of Federal Regulatory policy stated earlier this year that postpaid customers are allowed to have their devices unlocked as soon as 60 days into the service agreement, though these requests are usually reserved for international travelers.

There is only one way to wake up AT&T's Executive Response Team, file a complaint with the BBB and more importantly the FCC. While on the phone with an International Care Rep I was offered international data at $120 for 800MB, that is over $700 for 5GB, which will cost around $30 with a local SIM in Europe. Wake up AT&T, there are people in this country with basic math skills.

Policy change or not, you can't deny the facts. I unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 using AT&T's device unlock webpage. None of these 2 phone met the requirements, they were both well within the 2 year contract.

I since upgraded and I am unable to unlock the new phones. Joan Marsh, AT&T’s VP of Federal Regulatory policy stated earlier this year that postpaid customers are allowed to have their devices unlocked as soon as 60 days into the service agreement, though these requests are usually reserved for international travelers.

There is only one way to wake up AT&T's Executive Response Team, file a complaint with the BBB and more importantly the FCC. While on the phone with an International Care Rep I was offered international data at $120 for 800MB, that is over $700 for 5GB, which will cost around $30 with a local SIM in Europe. Wake up AT&T, there are people in this country with basic math skills.

[ Edited ]
32 of 267 (14,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 9:50:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was in USA as a tourist and bought a phone AT&T gophone. Now that I'm in my country, it is possible to unlock it and use it free outside your network

Thanks

I was in USA as a tourist and bought a phone AT&T gophone. Now that I'm in my country, it is possible to unlock it and use it free outside your network

Thanks

Unlock Nokia 520 gophone

33 of 267 (14,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 10:53:34 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi, giovamata!

I just wanted to let you know that I received your private message and replied. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Hi, giovamata!

I just wanted to let you know that I received your private message and replied. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Re: Unlock Nokia 520 gophone

34 of 267 (14,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 12:58:07 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:59:17 PM

Hello balajikrishnan,

One of the requirements on the phone unlock portal is that the phone has to be paid for in full, that means either up front, by paying off AT&T NEXT balance or by completing a 2 year contract. You can contact our social media care team with any questions by clicking here. A member of our team will be happy to review your options with you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello balajikrishnan,

One of the requirements on the phone unlock portal is that the phone has to be paid for in full, that means either up front, by paying off AT&T NEXT balance or by completing a 2 year contract. You can contact our social media care team with any questions by clicking here. A member of our team will be happy to review your options with you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

[ Edited ]
35 of 267 (14,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 1:13:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by TX6shooter on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:14:48 PM

Thanks for confirming what we stated above, Dmitriy, I successfully unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 that were not paid in full and were still under contract, one for another 13 months, the second for 9 months.

I have the Request# for both unlocks.

So what changed between 8/1 and now, if not the policy?

Thanks for confirming what we stated above, Dmitriy, I successfully unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 that were not paid in full and were still under contract, one for another 13 months, the second for 9 months.

I have the Request# for both unlocks.

[ Edited ]
36 of 267 (14,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2013 11:44:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?
Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?

37 of 267 (14,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 5:39:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Carioca_FL wrote:
Hi Dimitri,

Did you try requesting one?
 The only time where you'd have an issue with an "off contract" phone is if it is still in the first 6 months of release and it's an AT&T exclusive phone model.

Carioca_FL wrote:
Hi Dimitri,

Did you try requesting one?
 The only time where you'd have an issue with an "off contract" phone is if it is still in the first 6 months of release and it's an AT&T exclusive phone model.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

38 of 267 (14,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 5:40:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

TX6shooter wrote:

Enforcement of the policy.

TX6shooter wrote:

Enforcement of the policy.

39 of 267 (14,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 6:31:31 AM
(0)
Voyager

Is there anyway to pay the full amount of the phone at once and get it unlocked? I mean the price of the phone as I knew was $99.99 (GoPhone). If the real price of the phone is paid to AT&T can I get it unlocked?

Is there anyway to pay the full amount of the phone at once and get it unlocked? I mean the price of the phone as I knew was $99.99 (GoPhone). If the real price of the phone is paid to AT&T can I get it unlocked?

Re: Unlock Lumia 520 :(

40 of 267 (14,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 6:40:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Unfortunately international travellers are caught up in this "Enforcement" as well, who according to AT&T’s VP Joan Marsh used to be able to get an exception.

Instead, now we are being offered international voice and data plans at a cost that is not only not competitve, it is an insult.

Unfortunately international travellers are caught up in this "Enforcement" as well, who according to AT&T’s VP Joan Marsh used to be able to get an exception.

Instead, now we are being offered international voice and data plans at a cost that is not only not competitve, it is an insult.

41 of 267 (14,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 8:17:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

USA Info: Here is the lastest info on this question for US based customers and not just for the 520.

AT&T customer service will NOT provide unlock codes over the phone anymore. You have to use this webform. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ If you have a go-phone and you've owned it less than 6 months you can NOT obtain the unlock code. It doesn't matter if you've had an AT&T account for 3 years, it is how long you have had the handset. The AT&T stores also have been told not to give out unlock codes. They tell you to call Cust Service, who then tell you to use the form. Also there is not a paid service available that can unlock the 520, all currently show 'NOT Currently available' and others say, you have to obtain permission from the carrier before they can unlock, which is useless since if you have permission, you don't need a middle man unless you like throwing $ away. Bummer, I need to go to France and will just have to buy a crappy used unlocked phone off ebay.

USA Info: Here is the lastest info on this question for US based customers and not just for the 520.

AT&T customer service will NOT provide unlock codes over the phone anymore. You have to use this webform. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ If you have a go-phone and you've owned it less than 6 months you can NOT obtain the unlock code. It doesn't matter if you've had an AT&T account for 3 years, it is how long you have had the handset. The AT&T stores also have been told not to give out unlock codes. They tell you to call Cust Service, who then tell you to use the form. Also there is not a paid service available that can unlock the 520, all currently show 'NOT Currently available' and others say, you have to obtain permission from the carrier before they can unlock, which is useless since if you have permission, you don't need a middle man unless you like throwing $ away. Bummer, I need to go to France and will just have to buy a crappy used unlocked phone off ebay.

42 of 267 (14,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 8:20:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

AND if it is GO-Phone you have to own the 520 for 6 months before you qualify for an unlock.

AND if it is GO-Phone you have to own the 520 for 6 months before you qualify for an unlock.

Re: Help / Unlock Nokia Lumia 520

43 of 267 (14,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 10:19:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi guys,

I have an unlocked Lumia 920 but it stops working, so Nokia will send me a replacement one. The thing is Nokia cannot unlock that phone. I'm not an AT&T customer so is there anyway that I can unlock the replacement phone? 

Thanks for your time.

Hi guys,

I have an unlocked Lumia 920 but it stops working, so Nokia will send me a replacement one. The thing is Nokia cannot unlock that phone. I'm not an AT&T customer so is there anyway that I can unlock the replacement phone? 

Thanks for your time.

Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920

44 of 267 (14,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 11:00:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

So, the policy never changed they just started enforcing it after 6/2013 I guess....

So, the policy never changed they just started enforcing it after 6/2013 I guess....

45 of 267 (14,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 5:48:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, I'm super am stocked! I got my unlock code for the Lumia 920 without any issues. Just told the agent I was going to Europe tomorrow (not really a lie, though we only depart on the 30th).

I told the agent I have an off contract phone that's locked to AT&T and need an unlock to use it in France. I was asked for my AT&T number and gave the phone number associated with our iPad (we have a "pay as you go data plan with AT&T). I thought the agent would mention the type of plan, but apparently it wasn't an issue.

He did mention that the phone was never activated on AT&T, which isn't true. He confirmed the phone I wasn't tied to any contract or account and within 2 minutes I had the unlock code. 

i do have a sort of stupid question: is there such thing as an unlock code for international use only? A co-worker claims that I may not be able to activate it with TMobile or any MVNO -is that true? Is there an unlock code for domestic and another for international? I sure hope not. 

Wow, I'm super am stocked! I got my unlock code for the Lumia 920 without any issues. Just told the agent I was going to Europe tomorrow (not really a lie, though we only depart on the 30th).

I told the agent I have an off contract phone that's locked to AT&T and need an unlock to use it in France. I was asked for my AT&T number and gave the phone number associated with our iPad (we have a "pay as you go data plan with AT&T). I thought the agent would mention the type of plan, but apparently it wasn't an issue.

He did mention that the phone was never activated on AT&T, which isn't true. He confirmed the phone I wasn't tied to any contract or account and within 2 minutes I had the unlock code. 

i do have a sort of stupid question: is there such thing as an unlock code for international use only? A co-worker claims that I may not be able to activate it with TMobile or any MVNO -is that true? Is there an unlock code for domestic and another for international? I sure hope not. 

47 of 267 (14,126 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 10:46:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:08:07 AM

Looks like you had some luck there.

A similar appoach didn't yield any results for me.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

I have talked to a few people at AT&T at all levels in the past couple of weeks.

The arrogance and total disregard for customer satisfaction is really hard to believe.

Looks like you had some luck there.

A similar appoach didn't yield any results for me.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

I have talked to a few people at AT&T at all levels in the past couple of weeks.

The arrogance and total disregard for customer satisfaction is really hard to believe.

[ Edited ]
48 of 267 (13,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 4:31:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by FlexViking on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:32:44 PM

I've been to Europe about 10 times over the past 3 years.

Are you telling me that when I upgrade to a new Nokia 1520 on contract, AT&T won't unlock the phone for use while I am abroad because it's still in its 2 year contract.  Wow.  Good to know that AT&T appreciates me as as customer for spending $500 / month with them.

Fine.  I will buy my own phone to relieve AT&T of the "burden" of it.  Just reduce my bill by $20/month to cover the costs since you won't have to "susidize" me anymore.

Are you telling me that when I upgrade to a new Nokia 1520 on contract, AT&T won't unlock the phone for use while I am abroad because it's still in its 2 year contract.  Wow.  Good to know that AT&T appreciates me as as customer for spending $500 / month with them.

Fine.  I will buy my own phone to relieve AT&T of the "burden" of it.  Just reduce my bill by $20/month to cover the costs since you won't have to "susidize" me anymore.

Re: Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

[ Edited ]
49 of 267 (13,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

50 of 267 (13,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 7:33:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

FlexViking wrote:

Yep. Before, you would not have been able to get it unlocked until 6 months after it launched, even if you didn't complete the contract (which was the offical policy)

Now, you'll either need to use some other unlocked phone when you travel, to use a local sim, or roam on AT&T international plans. I unlock phones when I complete the contract - I have a small pile of them by now.

FlexViking wrote:

Yep. Before, you would not have been able to get it unlocked until 6 months after it launched, even if you didn't complete the contract (which was the offical policy)

Now, you'll either need to use some other unlocked phone when you travel, to use a local sim, or roam on AT&T international plans. I unlock phones when I complete the contract - I have a small pile of them by now.

51 of 267 (13,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 11:23:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by FlexViking on Nov 23, 2013 at 11:29:13 AM

It's silly.  They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.   90% of their customers are paying the price for the 2%.  Do they really think after being a customer for 10+ years with my whole family on the plan that I am going to take my unlocked phone that IS ON A 2 YEAR CONTRACT and go somewhere else?  Paranoia if you ask me. 

I guess I will have to take 2 phones to Europe.  My Nokia 1520 for its awesome camera and my old Note 1 just so I can use a Eurpoean data plan.  I am NOT going to pay AT&T rates while I am abroad.  Locking my phone is not going to me make me pay those rates.  It's a LOSE LOSE result.

It's silly.  They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.   90% of their customers are paying the price for the 2%.  Do they really think after being a customer for 10+ years with my whole family on the plan that I am going to take my unlocked phone that IS ON A 2 YEAR CONTRACT and go somewhere else?  Paranoia if you ask me. 

I guess I will have to take 2 phones to Europe.  My Nokia 1520 for its awesome camera and my old Note 1 just so I can use a Eurpoean data plan.  I am NOT going to pay AT&T rates while I am abroad.  Locking my phone is not going to me make me pay those rates.  It's a LOSE LOSE result.

[ Edited ]
52 of 267 (13,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 6:38:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

FlexViking wrote:

Yep. I usually take two (or three, or four) phones with me when roaming internationally too.

FlexViking wrote:

Yep. I usually take two (or three, or four) phones with me when roaming internationally too.

53 of 267 (13,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 10:52:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello

I bought a mobile in AmazonSmiley Sad, nokia lumia 520, but I did not realize that is locked...I have been trying to unlocked it here in the UK but they told me that just with AT&T I could unlocked.

What should I do?

thanks

Hello

I bought a mobile in AmazonSmiley Sad, nokia lumia 520, but I did not realize that is locked...I have been trying to unlocked it here in the UK but they told me that just with AT&T I could unlocked.

What should I do?

thanks

help unlock nokia lumia 520

54 of 267 (13,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 3:11:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

claumilest wrote:

Hello

What should I do?

thanks

Return it?

These are the two listings

Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T) by Nokia (Jul 26, 2013)

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8 by Nokia

Note how the unlocked one says "factory unlocked" and costs $100 more? That's why it costs more.

claumilest wrote:

Hello

What should I do?

thanks

Return it?

These are the two listings

Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T) by Nokia (Jul 26, 2013)

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8 by Nokia

Note how the unlocked one says "factory unlocked" and costs $100 more? That's why it costs more.

Re: help unlock nokia lumia 520

55 of 267 (13,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 8:00:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

I received another 920, also locked but with a clear IMEI, like the previous 920. This one I might want to try AIO, I've heard good things about them.

Can those phones locked to AT&T be activated on one of their MVNOs, like AIO?

I received another 920, also locked but with a clear IMEI, like the previous 920. This one I might want to try AIO, I've heard good things about them.

Can those phones locked to AT&T be activated on one of their MVNOs, like AIO?

56 of 267 (13,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 9:05:55 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hi, I was in US and bought an AT&T Lumia 520 gophone to use while on Holiday travelling through the United States. I am now back in Australia and would like to unlock the phone to use. I have tried the AT&T unlock form and online chat support  with no luck. Any assistance would be appreicated. Thanks. Frank.

Hi, I was in US and bought an AT&T Lumia 520 gophone to use while on Holiday travelling through the United States. I am now back in Australia and would like to unlock the phone to use. I have tried the AT&T unlock form and online chat support  with no luck. Any assistance would be appreicated. Thanks. Frank.

57 of 267 (13,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2013 9:10:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Dmitiry:

Since you are an AT&T representative you can verify that I was able to get my Samsung Galaxy S phone unlocked when it was "under contract" i.e. it was not paid in full.  This was possible earlier.  Hence, unless there has been a change in policy there is no reason that AT&T would not provide me the unlock code given that it has been more than a year since I have had the phone.  In Jan. 2013 I was told that I did not have the phone for 90 days and once I had the phone for 90 days I could get the unlock code.  

Now I am back in the US and the unlock code serves me no purpose.  However, I am appalled by the lack of concern for customers at AT&T and intend to make sure that I use this example of bad customer serevice in social media as well as my marketing classes.

Dmitiry:

Since you are an AT&T representative you can verify that I was able to get my Samsung Galaxy S phone unlocked when it was "under contract" i.e. it was not paid in full.  This was possible earlier.  Hence, unless there has been a change in policy there is no reason that AT&T would not provide me the unlock code given that it has been more than a year since I have had the phone.  In Jan. 2013 I was told that I did not have the phone for 90 days and once I had the phone for 90 days I could get the unlock code.  

Now I am back in the US and the unlock code serves me no purpose.  However, I am appalled by the lack of concern for customers at AT&T and intend to make sure that I use this example of bad customer serevice in social media as well as my marketing classes.

58 of 267 (12,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 6:32:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Mariana, I got exactly the same problem as Giovamata. Any advice?
-Lawrence
Hi Mariana, I got exactly the same problem as Giovamata. Any advice?
-Lawrence

59 of 267 (12,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 4:58:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there a reason why the company policy is as ridiculous as it currently is?

Whilst I appreciate in the USA, the 2 year contract is how cell phone companies are able to subsidize new phones and thus unlocking it from the get go for a customer doesn't make sense. However, it is downright stupid if the Lumia 900 has been out only since April 2012, I happen to need to unlock it now because am out of the country on a vacation and the policy is that the contract isn't up till April 2014 and so there is nothing anyone can do to unlock the phone.

I mean, are you serious? it's 5 months away from contract, I switched from T-Mo to ATT in 2012 AND it's a Lumia 900 that has a semi cracked screen. How ridiculous is it that I can't get this phone unlocked seeing I'll likely need a new phone/contract in April 2014??

If the intent is to drive customers away, then such service would definitely accelerate this.

Is there a reason why the company policy is as ridiculous as it currently is?

Whilst I appreciate in the USA, the 2 year contract is how cell phone companies are able to subsidize new phones and thus unlocking it from the get go for a customer doesn't make sense. However, it is downright stupid if the Lumia 900 has been out only since April 2012, I happen to need to unlock it now because am out of the country on a vacation and the policy is that the contract isn't up till April 2014 and so there is nothing anyone can do to unlock the phone.

I mean, are you serious? it's 5 months away from contract, I switched from T-Mo to ATT in 2012 AND it's a Lumia 900 that has a semi cracked screen. How ridiculous is it that I can't get this phone unlocked seeing I'll likely need a new phone/contract in April 2014??

If the intent is to drive customers away, then such service would definitely accelerate this.

ATT Refusal to unlock for existing customers

60 of 267 (12,458 Views)