Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

The reason I asked if you had an account with AT&T is because one of the requirement for an unlock is that the person requesting it must be a current or former AT&T customer:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. (meaning it was purchased off contract or the contract is completed by AT&T customer, or device is paid off under Next program)
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

The only thing you can do is call 1-800-331-0500 and check if there is anything else that can be done, but unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Policy change or not, you can't deny the facts. I unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 using AT&T's device unlock webpage. None of these 2 phone met the requirements, they were both well within the 2 year contract.

I since upgraded and I am unable to unlock the new phones. Joan Marsh, AT&T’s VP of Federal Regulatory policy stated earlier this year that postpaid customers are allowed to have their devices unlocked as soon as 60 days into the service agreement, though these requests are usually reserved for international travelers.

There is only one way to wake up AT&T's Executive Response Team, file a complaint with the BBB and more importantly the FCC. While on the phone with an International Care Rep I was offered international data at $120 for 800MB, that is over $700 for 5GB, which will cost around $30 with a local SIM in Europe. Wake up AT&T, there are people in this country with basic math skills.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was in USA as a tourist and bought a phone AT&T gophone. Now that I'm in my country, it is possible to unlock it and use it free outside your network

Thanks

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi, giovamata!

I just wanted to let you know that I received your private message and replied. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Mariana

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello balajikrishnan,

One of the requirements on the phone unlock portal is that the phone has to be paid for in full, that means either up front, by paying off AT&T NEXT balance or by completing a 2 year contract. You can contact our social media care team with any questions by clicking here. A member of our team will be happy to review your options with you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for confirming what we stated above, Dmitriy, I successfully unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 that were not paid in full and were still under contract, one for another 13 months, the second for 9 months.

I have the Request# for both unlocks.

So what changed between 8/1 and now, if not the policy?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Carioca_FL wrote:
Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?

Did you try requesting one?
 The only time where you'd have an issue with an "off contract" phone is if it is still in the first 6 months of release and it's an AT&T exclusive phone model.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@TX6shooter wrote:

So what changed between 8/1 and now, if not the policy?

Enforcement of the policy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.