For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
wickedmad3's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Monday, October 11th, 2010 4:20 AM

Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@TRAVONE1 wrote:

Okay, I agree with the 3G thing.. I'm just a little upset about it...

As for the router, I was WEP but changed everythign to WPA.  My phone recognizes it as WPA and I entered the security phrase...

I have been able to hook everything else up, my 2 laptops, ipod, wii, etc.. But the phone will not connect.  I have tried "forgetting" the connection, turnign the phone off, pulling the battery out, etc... But I just can't seam to make it connect.

check to make sure the WPA settings match, there is

WPA-PSK[TKIP]

WPA2-PSK[AES]

WPA-PSK[TKIP]+WPA2-PSK[AES]

WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I'm having this same idiotic problem, I'm so fed up with it....

I've tried everything from a complete reset of my router to multiple combinations of rebooting and so on of the phone and all without any kind of success.... I haven't done a factory reset of the phone because of the simple fact that that would be a royal pain in the REAR !

There seriously has to be a better way of fixing this issue on our phones. I'm going to have call tech support tomorrow and see if there is a way to reset just the WiFi aspect of the phone so that it can forget whatever the stinking problem is with it.........

This is just extremely and completely frustrating...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

actually, as odd as this will sound I've gotten it to work...

I put the phone into flight mode and then turned on WiFi, I left it there while I decided to check if there was an updated firmware for my router.

As soon as I updated the router it almost instantly connected and has been working for the last few minutes without any issues.

okay, so maybe others though try updating their routers and see if that helps. If I end up with any other issues I will post back, I have this page bookmarked.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I did the following:

1.  turn WiFi off

2.  phone in "flight" mode

3.  WiFi on

4.  "flight" mode off

The phone works now. For how long? We shall see.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

well, it seems that the fix of installing the new firmware was a short term fix only...

so now I have to find something else that will work. Once again I CANNOT connect to my home wifi. This is beyond idiotic.

Someone please find us a permanent solution to this issue...... please. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Since performing the operation I previously mentioned, the wireless continues to operate. I have my home and work wireless memorized and it connects to both. I suspect it will fail as it did after successful recovery using "FXR WiFi fix and rescue". if so, I will attempt recovery using my, so far, successful method.

Bottom line though is that this is probably some sort of 2.2 related bug as the problem did not exsist before the upgrade.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

the problem is that I have been running 2.2 for months now and have not had this issue until the last couple weeks. up until now it was never even a thought. After my faithful linksys wrt54g router died due to getting hit by lighting I had to switch to using a belkin n300. The problem is that it seems that the 2.2 is just not that compatible with all routers like most other wifi devices. I haven't been out of the house much lately due to being in a cast so I can't really confirm this with too many devices...

I think I'm going to have to order a new version of the same router and see how that plays out. I miss my linksys, my model was the most highly rated model of all routers, it's no wonder linksys still produces it....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Same problem. Have 3 captivates. Mine is running Cognition and has No issues.  My daughters is 1 month  old and my wifes 1 week old. Yesterday both my wifes and daughters went into the "obtaing IP address " loop without connecting. They have been connecting without any problems until then. There were no changes made to the phones nor the router. My phone ,laptop and Wii all connect without issue.

Router is running latest firmware.

FXR did nothing.

Rebooting router did nothing.

Changing security settings did nothing.

Static IP did nothing.

pretty much tried everything. Finally did a factory reset on daughters and it's up and running again.Funny how mine is the oldest one and has no problems. Looks like I'll be loading new ROM'S on their phones.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I have this issue sometimes and I have to unplug the power to my Wifi, and then plug it in again. Presto chango, in a couple of minutes it's connected!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I find that I am not alone as I read through the messages.

We have two Captivate phones with the same issue, both using Froyo. My WIFI is an Actiontec Fios Router and I'm using WEP. I had other issues using WPA2; none attributable to the phone.

Today, I tried activating the wireless on one phone, did not connect; left it attempting to connect.

1. Turned off the router

2. Unplugged the power adapter to the router

3. Turned on the power and saw a light on the front of the router flicker

4. Turned it off the router

5. Plugged in the power to the router

6. Turned on the router

The phone connected!

I will need to see if the other phone also connects; if not, I'll try with both phones attempting to connect and cycle the router using the same procedure as above.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a UPS to the router, this had nothing to do with the lack of connecting. I just wanted to have the router stay up if there were any power failures while I was online.

Hope this helps others.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.