Troubleshoot your device issues
wickedmad3's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Monday, October 11th, 2010 4:20 AM

Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

14 years ago

Do you have a MAC filter on your router? Although it would be an unusual configuration, I suppose it's possible.

You could try turning off security on the router temporarily to see if you can connect. Or change to WPA2 as has already been suggested.

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Answers in line below...

@wickedmad3 wrote:

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Since it works at McD's and school, then the Wifi in your phone works. So I would suggest that you double-check your password. Maybe there's a typo.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Wifi does NOT count towards monthly data usage. And downloads/uploads are faster on Wifi as a rule. Download Data Counter Widget from the Market and you can easily track your usage on both Wifi and Mobile Network, if you are interested in how much data you're using. Whenever Wifi is available, you should connect to that as that saves you from dipping into your monthly data.

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

AT&T's data usage response always includes both Messaging and Data usage. Nothing you can do about that as that is a standard reply format.

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

Hmmm...Why would you want to do this? If you want to limit your data usage, connect to wifi whenever possible. But to answer your question, make sure your Wifi connection is turned off and you won't connect to it even if it's available.

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

Not annoying at all. That's what the forums are for. Post any time with any question 🙂 Good luck!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

Thing is the password I entered is correct.It just keeps saying obtaining IP address...Then says unsuccessful. Vive read on another forum somewhere that this is quite a common issue cause the Captivate doesn't always connect to WEP set ups and that you need to "mess" with the wifi security settings...which of course I have no clue to what there talking about...So if anyone can provide a step by step solution to my dilemma I would really appreciate it..Its not like I want to be home using up all my data...would be kinda silly.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@wickedmad3 wrote:

Thing is the password I entered is correct.It just keeps saying obtaining IP address...Then says unsuccessful. Vive read on another forum somewhere that this is quite a common issue cause the Captivate doesn't always connect to WEP set ups and that you need to "mess" with the wifi security settings...which of course I have no clue to what there talking about...So if anyone can provide a step by step solution to my dilemma I would really appreciate it..Its not like I want to be home using up all my data...would be kinda silly.

not sure whay that is happening, but if your home wireless supports it WPA is a lot more secure then WEP, not many devices correctly support WEP anymore

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

14 years ago

Try power cycling your router.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

And power cycling is? I'm not too hip on the technical terms.... Hopefully this gets resolved because when i google search my problem this thread shows up on the first page so if anyone else has the same problem as me they can just see this for the solution. And if newer model phones don't support WEP anymore?...If not i assume i would have to buy a new router.

Oh and i contacted AT&T got transfered 3 times from Wireless tech support to DSL support to Advanced support spending a total of 69mins....only to get to a point where the advanced tech guys said that they would have to charge me 49.99 for helping me....WTH is up with that? Ima get charged for something that should be working but doesn't?

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Power Cycling = Reboot 🙂

If the router doesn't have an on-off button, unplug it, count to 20, plug it back in.

The counting to 20 is just to ensure everything internal shuts down before you power up again. It's actually a good thing to do with whatever you happen to be rebooting/power cycling...phones, computers, printers, etc.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

Nah that didn't help....thanks for the suggestion guys...keep em coming i can't be the only one who had to go through this. I think i might have to change my wifi security setting but i'm not sure how. If my wifi is WEP then my phone would have to be configured to WEP too right? So how would you (if possible) go about doing that?

I tried a method where you add a wifi network and add the same name as yours and switch the security to WEP it also ask for WEP type (no clue hat that is - auto, WEP hexadecimal and WEP)...i tried hexadecimal since i thought that meant alfa-numeric character a-f and 0-9 but i'm still stuck. Phone is scanning and tries to obtain IP address from both of the networks (even though its just one) and fail after fail....this is getting really dull really fast. This method apparently worked for someone else on another forum but that post was a month ago.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

I would like to thank everyone involved...finally got what you guys were saying after i googled everything.

I would like to post the step i used in order to get this done. To anyone else who is having this problem just go to your routers webpage and change your settings from WEP to WPA or WPA2 (this being the best option). First you will need to get your IP address. If you don't know how just go to the "Run" program and type in cmd. Another window should pop up and in that window you type "ipconfig" which drops down (usually) 3 different addresses. They usually tend to be 192.168.##.###, and thats what you type into your browser. To get on your routers webpage you first need to put your IP address in, then simply type that address into the address field of your browser. From there you should be in full control of your router.

Thanks for everyones help...greatly appreciated it...i was kinda getting mad too...and almost spent that 49.99.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I tried the solution and it didn't work for me. When I changed my router to WPA, I could no longer connect to the internet with my computer and I still couldn't connect with my phone. I contacted the tech support center for my internet provider and my phone and got no help. They each told me that the other was the one who could help. The irony is that both my internet provider and wireless cell provider are AT & T. I was very excited with my new phone but this problem has lessened my excitement. I know there must be a solution and I can't be the only one having the problem. If anyone out there has an answer I would appreciate the help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.