Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 22, 2008
2:41:26 PM
Can't send or receive MMS with Nokia E71
I switched from an iPhone 2G to a Nokia E71 two days ago.  I love the phone but can't send or receive MMS.  I have the unlimited family text plan plus the $15 AT&T Media Net.  Are there particular settings in the phone itself that need changed in order for MMS to work?  I've spoke to 3 AT&T representatives and they were not able to correct the problem since this is not an AT&T branded phone.  Any assistance would sure be appreciated.  Thank you.
I switched from an iPhone 2G to a Nokia E71 two days ago.  I love the phone but can't send or receive MMS.  I have the unlimited family text plan plus the $15 AT&T Media Net.  Are there particular settings in the phone itself that need changed in order for MMS to work?  I've spoke to 3 AT&T representatives and they were not able to correct the problem since this is not an AT&T branded phone.  Any assistance would sure be appreciated.  Thank you.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 23, 2008 11:07:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 23, 2008 at 11:12:35 AM
It will get resolved. Smiley Happy 

You can try the after hours support number - I'm not certain if they'll be able to help since it's not "trouble making/receiving phone calls", but I've seen others contact them for other types of technical assistance and it seems they've reported back that after hours care was able to resolve it.  Their number is 1-866-801-3600.

Just make certain whoever you are visiting with understands you had the iPhone previously - so your line of service has not been provisioned with MMS service.  That's what needs to be corrected - and only they can do it. 

You are correct - if your wife's SIM in your E71 can send/receive MMS, the issue is NOT with your phone/settings.  Don't let them put you off because you aren't using an "at&t supported" phone - the issue is with the provisioning for your service which they ARE responsible for.  Smiley Wink 

They may need to completely delete and then re-provision the messaging service for your line - if so, so be it.  But don't let them off the phone until they have it working for you - so it's best to call them from a different phone.

Message Edited by hme83 on 11-23-2008 01:12:35 PM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Can't send or receive MMS with Nokia E71

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 3:56:16 PM
(0)
Master
Click here to send the settings to your Nokia E71 via an OTA update directly from Nokia's support site. Scroll down, click on Get Standard Settings, and choose all relevant options.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy
Click here to send the settings to your Nokia E71 via an OTA update directly from Nokia's support site. Scroll down, click on Get Standard Settings, and choose all relevant options.

Re: Can't send or receive MMS with Nokia E71

2 of 14 (26,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 4:34:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately nothing comes up in the window for the E71 so it didn't work.
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately nothing comes up in the window for the E71 so it didn't work.

3 of 14 (26,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 5:41:38 PM
(0)
Master
Hopefully, these tutorials should help you mock up the settings for your E71 (pictures are shown for reference only)

Media Net Settings
  1. From the standby screen, press the Menu key.

2. Scroll to and select Settings.
  3. Scroll to and select Config.
  4. Select Connections.

5. Select Access Points.

6. With "MEdia Net" highlighted, press Options.

7. Select Edit.

8. Verify the following settings:

• Set Name: MEdia Net
    • Data Bearer: Packet data
    • Access Point: wap.cingular
    • Username: <leave blank>
    • Prompt for password: No
    • Password: <leave blank>
    • Authentication: Normal
    • Homepage: http://home
  9. Press Options.
  10. Select Advanced Config.
  11. Verify the following settings:
    • Network type: IPv4
    • Phone IP address: Automatic
    • DNS address: Automatic
    • (If available) Proxy serv. address: wireless.cingular.com
    • Proxy port number: 80
  12. Press the End call key to return to the main screen.
  13. Attempt to access MEdia Net.
  14. If unable to access MEdia Net verify the correct Access Point Profile is configured in the browser.
MMS Settings

2. Scroll to and select Messag.

3. Press Options.

4. Select Settings.

5. Scroll to and select Multimedia message.

6. Scroll to and select Access point in use.

7. With Multimedia highlighted select Options.

8. Scroll to and select Edit.

9. Verify the following:
    • Connection name: Multimedia
    • Data bearer: Packet data
    • Access point name: wap.cingular
    • User name: <leave blank>
    • Prompt password: No
    • Homepage: http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. Press Back.

11. Press Back.

12. Verify the following:
    • Image size: Original
    • MMS creation mode: Free
    • Access point in use: Multimedia
    • Multimedia retrieval: Always automatic
    • Allow annon. msg.: Yes
    • Receive ads: Yes
    • Receive report: No
    • Deny report sending: No
    • Message validity: Maximum time
  13. To return back to the standby screen, press the End key.

Hopefully, these tutorials should help you mock up the settings for your E71 (pictures are shown for reference only)

Media Net Settings

2. Scroll to and select Settings.
  3. Scroll to and select Config.
  4. Select Connections.

5. Select Access Points.

6. With "MEdia Net" highlighted, press Options.

7. Select Edit.

8. Verify the following settings:

• Set Name: MEdia Net
    • Data Bearer: Packet data
    • Access Point: wap.cingular
    • Username: <leave blank>
    • Prompt for password: No
    • Homepage: http://home
  9. Press Options.
  10. Select Advanced Config.
  11. Verify the following settings:
    • Network type: IPv4
    • Phone IP address: Automatic
    • DNS address: Automatic
    • (If available) Proxy serv. address: wireless.cingular.com
    • Proxy port number: 80
  12. Press the End call key to return to the main screen.
  13. Attempt to access MEdia Net.
  14. If unable to access MEdia Net verify the correct Access Point Profile is configured in the browser.
MMS Settings

2. Scroll to and select Messag.

3. Press Options.

4. Select Settings.

5. Scroll to and select Multimedia message.

6. Scroll to and select Access point in use.

7. With Multimedia highlighted select Options.

8. Scroll to and select Edit.

9. Verify the following:
    • Connection name: Multimedia
    • Data bearer: Packet data
    • Access point name: wap.cingular
    • User name: <leave blank>
    • Prompt password: No
    • Homepage: http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. Press Back.

11. Press Back.

12. Verify the following:
    • Image size: Original
    • MMS creation mode: Free
    • Access point in use: Multimedia
    • Multimedia retrieval: Always automatic
    • Allow annon. msg.: Yes
    • Receive ads: Yes
    • Receive report: No
    • Deny report sending: No
    • Message validity: Maximum time
  13. To return back to the standby screen, press the End key.

4 of 14 (26,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2008 8:29:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If changing the phone settings doesn't solve your issue, contact customer service again - specifically have them make sure your line of service is provisioned for MMS service. 

Since you changed from an iPhone and the iPhone is not capable of performing MMS, it's possible the provisioning for your MMS service has not been properly done.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If changing the phone settings doesn't solve your issue, contact customer service again - specifically have them make sure your line of service is provisioned for MMS service. 

Since you changed from an iPhone and the iPhone is not capable of performing MMS, it's possible the provisioning for your MMS service has not been properly done.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (26,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2008 10:40:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by smitty29832 on Nov 23, 2008 at 10:48:04 AM
It just has to be something with AT&T because I've tried every setting imaginable.  Today, I put my sim card in my wifes phone and had the same result.  When I put her sim card in my E71 I was able to send / received MMS without any problem so that tells me it's the MMS provisions at AT&T and not my E71.  Unfortunately their customer service is closed today (Sunday) so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have my 4th customer service representative on the phone.  I really want to keep this E71 so hopefully this will get resolved.

Message Edited by smitty29832 on 11-23-2008 10:48:04 AM
It just has to be something with AT&T because I've tried every setting imaginable.  Today, I put my sim card in my wifes phone and had the same result.  When I put her sim card in my E71 I was able to send / received MMS without any problem so that tells me it's the MMS provisions at AT&T and not my E71.  Unfortunately their customer service is closed today (Sunday) so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have my 4th customer service representative on the phone.  I really want to keep this E71 so hopefully this will get resolved.

Message Edited by smitty29832 on 11-23-2008 10:48:04 AM

[ Edited ]
6 of 14 (26,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 23, 2008 11:07:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 23, 2008 at 11:12:35 AM

You can try the after hours support number - I'm not certain if they'll be able to help since it's not "trouble making/receiving phone calls", but I've seen others contact them for other types of technical assistance and it seems they've reported back that after hours care was able to resolve it.  Their number is 1-866-801-3600.

Just make certain whoever you are visiting with understands you had the iPhone previously - so your line of service has not been provisioned with MMS service.  That's what needs to be corrected - and only they can do it. 

You are correct - if your wife's SIM in your E71 can send/receive MMS, the issue is NOT with your phone/settings.  Don't let them put you off because you aren't using an "at&t supported" phone - the issue is with the provisioning for your service which they ARE responsible for.  Smiley Wink 

They may need to completely delete and then re-provision the messaging service for your line - if so, so be it.  But don't let them off the phone until they have it working for you - so it's best to call them from a different phone.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (26,152 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2008 10:58:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
MMS is working so thank you very much for the responses.  Love the E71.  Wish I had bought it sooner.
MMS is working so thank you very much for the responses.  Love the E71.  Wish I had bought it sooner.

8 of 14 (26,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2008 11:07:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I'm glad to hear they got it working for you and that you are enjoying the E71!  Smiley Happy
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

I'm glad to hear they got it working for you and that you are enjoying the E71!  Smiley Happy
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

9 of 14 (26,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2008 4:56:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
Can you tell me what the final resolution was with the ATT tech support so I can hopefully guide them to help me with the same problem?  I have a Nokia E71 that I bought unlocked to replace an iPhone 2G...and I can not send or receive MMS messages.  I have tried all the settings that I have found as well as the set up wizard in the phone.  I went to the ATT store and they had tech support on the phone...but it didn't get anything resolved.  They were reluctant to say the least because it is an unlocked phone-so if I could tell them exactly what I need it would be so helpful.

Can you tell me what the final resolution was with the ATT tech support so I can hopefully guide them to help me with the same problem?  I have a Nokia E71 that I bought unlocked to replace an iPhone 2G...and I can not send or receive MMS messages.  I have tried all the settings that I have found as well as the set up wizard in the phone.  I went to the ATT store and they had tech support on the phone...but it didn't get anything resolved.  They were reluctant to say the least because it is an unlocked phone-so if I could tell them exactly what I need it would be so helpful.

10 of 14 (25,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2008 5:37:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
The place to start if you have already verified phone settings, etc. is to have customer service check to ensure that the provisioning for MMS service has been done for your line of service.  Customer service can be reached at 1-800-331-0500, preferably from another phone so that you can test MMS while on the phone call. 

Since the iPhone is not capable of MMS and you had an iPhone previously, it's likely that the account provisioning has not been corrected when you changed to the E71. 

An easy "test" to determine whether the issue is with your account provisioning or with the phone settings - if you have another MMS capable phone handy, put your SIM in that phone - can you send/receive MMS?  If not, the issue is with your account provisioning.  Also, if another SIM (capable of sending MMS in another phone) can also send/receive MMS in the E71, then the issue is not with your E71's settings.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

The place to start if you have already verified phone settings, etc. is to have customer service check to ensure that the provisioning for MMS service has been done for your line of service.  Customer service can be reached at 1-800-331-0500, preferably from another phone so that you can test MMS while on the phone call. 

Since the iPhone is not capable of MMS and you had an iPhone previously, it's likely that the account provisioning has not been corrected when you changed to the E71. 

An easy "test" to determine whether the issue is with your account provisioning or with the phone settings - if you have another MMS capable phone handy, put your SIM in that phone - can you send/receive MMS?  If not, the issue is with your account provisioning.  Also, if another SIM (capable of sending MMS in another phone) can also send/receive MMS in the E71, then the issue is not with your E71's settings.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

11 of 14 (12,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2009 10:13:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Are there any charges associated with this download? I have called ATT and had my features changed to media net (had 1G Iphone), but still can't send or receive mms.

Thanks

Are there any charges associated with this download? I have called ATT and had my features changed to media net (had 1G Iphone), but still can't send or receive mms.

Thanks

12 of 14 (11,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2009 10:29:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:34:23 AM

cococooper wrote:

Thanks

If you've run the settings wizard and still cannot send/receive MMS, I'd follow the settings guide previously posted in this thread by Blue4Life to double check them.  Nokia/at&t have been known to not be completely in sync re: the settings that need to be used for at&t's data service - so the settings wizard (or requesting the settings directly from the Nokia website) isn't always the complete solution.

If you've relooked at the phone's settings and they are correct, then I'd contact customer service and ask them to take a look at your account provisioning for MediaNet data access.  Especially if you've changed from an iPhone, for example, they need to understand that you are no longer using the iPhone so that they can update your account within their system to allow for MediaNet data access instead of the iPhone's "special" data.

A good test of whether the problem lies with your phone's settings or with the account provisioning is to swap SIMs with another at&t phone that you know is capable of sending/receiving MMS.  Does the problem follow your SIM?  If so, your account hasn't been properly provisioned on at&t's end for the data access.  If the problem stays with your phone - then there is still something that is not correct within your phone's settings.

Did you have an iPhone previously?  Your other thread indicated problems accessing voice mail from the E71, which also sounds suspiciously like at&t doesn't have your phone properly updated in their system.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by hme83 on 01-26-2009 12:34:23 PM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

cococooper wrote:

Thanks

If you've run the settings wizard and still cannot send/receive MMS, I'd follow the settings guide previously posted in this thread by Blue4Life to double check them.  Nokia/at&t have been known to not be completely in sync re: the settings that need to be used for at&t's data service - so the settings wizard (or requesting the settings directly from the Nokia website) isn't always the complete solution.

If you've relooked at the phone's settings and they are correct, then I'd contact customer service and ask them to take a look at your account provisioning for MediaNet data access.  Especially if you've changed from an iPhone, for example, they need to understand that you are no longer using the iPhone so that they can update your account within their system to allow for MediaNet data access instead of the iPhone's "special" data.

A good test of whether the problem lies with your phone's settings or with the account provisioning is to swap SIMs with another at&t phone that you know is capable of sending/receiving MMS.  Does the problem follow your SIM?  If so, your account hasn't been properly provisioned on at&t's end for the data access.  If the problem stays with your phone - then there is still something that is not correct within your phone's settings.

Did you have an iPhone previously?  Your other thread indicated problems accessing voice mail from the E71, which also sounds suspiciously like at&t doesn't have your phone properly updated in their system.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by hme83 on 01-26-2009 12:34:23 PM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (11,544 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2009 1:36:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just solved almost the same problem (text instead of MMS) with ATT tech support help. Could receive text msg but couldn't send it. Swapped SIM's with my wife's phone and then could text using her SIM and my phone, but couldn't text using my SIM in her phone. Sure looked like the account setup was wrong. WRONG! Somehow the SMS center phone number must be written into the SIM card and travel with it. That was the problem. You get there thru: Communication|Messaging|Options(lower left corner)|Settings|Text Message|Message centers. Then push square button when Message Centers is highlighted. This leads to SMS settings and Email Settings. Push SMS settings. Leave Message Center name at SMS Settings. Message center number should be +13123149810. In my case it was my own wireless number that had gotten written in there. Changing it to the msg center number made everything work perfectly! My thanks to Stephanie in ATT Wireless tech support.
Just solved almost the same problem (text instead of MMS) with ATT tech support help. Could receive text msg but couldn't send it. Swapped SIM's with my wife's phone and then could text using her SIM and my phone, but couldn't text using my SIM in her phone. Sure looked like the account setup was wrong. WRONG! Somehow the SMS center phone number must be written into the SIM card and travel with it. That was the problem. You get there thru: Communication|Messaging|Options(lower left corner)|Settings|Text Message|Message centers. Then push square button when Message Centers is highlighted. This leads to SMS settings and Email Settings. Push SMS settings. Leave Message Center name at SMS Settings. Message center number should be +13123149810. In my case it was my own wireless number that had gotten written in there. Changing it to the msg center number made everything work perfectly! My thanks to Stephanie in ATT Wireless tech support.

14 of 14 (9,882 Views)