For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
smitty29832's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 10:41 PM

Closed

Can't send or receive MMS with Nokia E71

I switched from an iPhone 2G to a Nokia E71 two days ago.  I love the phone but can't send or receive MMS.  I have the unlimited family text plan plus the $15 AT&T Media Net.  Are there particular settings in the phone itself that need changed in order for MMS to work?  I've spoke to 3 AT&T representatives and they were not able to correct the problem since this is not an AT&T branded phone.  Any assistance would sure be appreciated.  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

It will get resolved. 🙂 

You can try the after hours support number - I'm not certain if they'll be able to help since it's not "trouble making/receiving phone calls", but I've seen others contact them for other types of technical assistance and it seems they've reported back that after hours care was able to resolve it.  Their number is 1-866-801-3600.

Just make certain whoever you are visiting with understands you had the iPhone previously - so your line of service has not been provisioned with MMS service.  That's what needs to be corrected - and only they can do it. 

You are correct - if your wife's SIM in your E71 can send/receive MMS, the issue is NOT with your phone/settings.  Don't let them put you off because you aren't using an "at&t supported" phone - the issue is with the provisioning for your service which they ARE responsible for.  😉 

They may need to completely delete and then re-provision the messaging service for your line - if so, so be it.  But don't let them off the phone until they have it working for you - so it's best to call them from a different phone.

Message Edited by hme83 on 11-23-2008 01:12:35 PM

Master

• 

788 Messages

15 years ago

Click here to send the settings to your Nokia E71 via an OTA update directly from Nokia's support site. Scroll down, click on Get Standard Settings, and choose all relevant options.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately nothing comes up in the window for the E71 so it didn't work.

Master

• 

788 Messages

15 years ago

Hopefully, these tutorials should help you mock up the settings for your E71 (pictures are shown for reference only)

Media Net Settings
  1. From the standby screen, press the Menu key.

2. Scroll to and select Settings.
  3. Scroll to and select Config.
  4. Select Connections.

5. Select Access Points.

6. With "MEdia Net" highlighted, press Options.

7. Select Edit.

8. Verify the following settings:

• Set Name: MEdia Net
    • Data Bearer: Packet data
    • Access Point: wap.cingular
    • Username:
    • Prompt for password: No
    • Password:
    • Authentication: Normal
    • Homepage: http://home
  9. Press Options.
  10. Select Advanced Config.
  11. Verify the following settings:
    • Network type: IPv4
    • Phone IP address: Automatic
    • DNS address: Automatic
    • (If available) Proxy serv. address: wireless.cingular.com
    • Proxy port number: 80
  12. Press the End call key to return to the main screen.
  13. Attempt to access MEdia Net.
  14. If unable to access MEdia Net verify the correct Access Point Profile is configured in the browser.
MMS Settings
  1. From the standby screen, press the Menu key.

2. Scroll to and select Messag.

3. Press Options.

4. Select Settings.

5. Scroll to and select Multimedia message.

6. Scroll to and select Access point in use.

7. With Multimedia highlighted select Options.

8. Scroll to and select Edit.

9. Verify the following:
    • Connection name: Multimedia
    • Data bearer: Packet data
    • Access point name: wap.cingular
    • User name: <leave blank>
    • Prompt password: No
    • Password:
    • Authentication: Normal
    • Homepage: http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. Press Back.

11. Press Back.

12. Verify the following:
    • Image size: Original
    • MMS creation mode: Free
    • Access point in use: Multimedia
    • Multimedia retrieval: Always automatic
    • Allow annon. msg.: Yes
    • Receive ads: Yes
    • Receive report: No
    • Deny report sending: No
    • Message validity: Maximum time
  13. To return back to the standby screen, press the End key.
I hope this helps. 🙂

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

If changing the phone settings doesn't solve your issue, contact customer service again - specifically have them make sure your line of service is provisioned for MMS service. 

Since you changed from an iPhone and the iPhone is not capable of performing MMS, it's possible the provisioning for your MMS service has not been properly done.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

It just has to be something with AT&T because I've tried every setting imaginable.  Today, I put my sim card in my wifes phone and had the same result.  When I put her sim card in my E71 I was able to send / received MMS without any problem so that tells me it's the MMS provisions at AT&T and not my E71.  Unfortunately their customer service is closed today (Sunday) so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have my 4th customer service representative on the phone.  I really want to keep this E71 so hopefully this will get resolved.

Message Edited by smitty29832 on 11-23-2008 10:48:04 AM

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

MMS is working so thank you very much for the responses.  Love the E71.  Wish I had bought it sooner.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

I'm glad to hear they got it working for you and that you are enjoying the E71!  🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Can you tell me what the final resolution was with the ATT tech support so I can hopefully guide them to help me with the same problem?  I have a Nokia E71 that I bought unlocked to replace an iPhone 2G...and I can not send or receive MMS messages.  I have tried all the settings that I have found as well as the set up wizard in the phone.  I went to the ATT store and they had tech support on the phone...but it didn't get anything resolved.  They were reluctant to say the least because it is an unlocked phone-so if I could tell them exactly what I need it would be so helpful.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

The place to start if you have already verified phone settings, etc. is to have customer service check to ensure that the provisioning for MMS service has been done for your line of service.  Customer service can be reached at 1-800-331-0500, preferably from another phone so that you can test MMS while on the phone call. 

Since the iPhone is not capable of MMS and you had an iPhone previously, it's likely that the account provisioning has not been corrected when you changed to the E71. 

An easy "test" to determine whether the issue is with your account provisioning or with the phone settings - if you have another MMS capable phone handy, put your SIM in that phone - can you send/receive MMS?  If not, the issue is with your account provisioning.  Also, if another SIM (capable of sending MMS in another phone) can also send/receive MMS in the E71, then the issue is not with your E71's settings.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.