Troubleshoot your device issues
RookieWPUsers's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 9:37 AM

Can someone help me with this issue caused by SIM security function of WP?

Hello WP users,

If you have a Lumia 920 phone, can someone help me with this issue caused by WP's SIM security function?  Please do the following steps to replicate the issue that I am having:

1.  Turn off data

2.  Turn off WiFi

3.  Ask someone to call you and leave you a voice mail.

4.  You should see a "1" and a "cassette" symbol shown on the "Phone" tile indicating that you missed 1 call and you have 1 voicemail.  Also, across the top of the phone, you should see a blue bar that says "You have voice mail."

5.  Go to "settings" -> "applications" -> "phone"

6.  Go all the way down to SIM security and turn on SIM security by tapping it.  It will ask you for a SIM PIN, the default AT&T SIM PIN is 1111.  Type 1111.

7.  Wait for about 10 minutes or so and all of a sudden your phone will reboot itself.

8.  After the phone is rebooted, ask someone to call you and leave you a message.

9.  Then you will see a "1" on the "Phone tile" but the "casette" symbol does not appear anymore.  Even if you disable SIM security, the "casette" symbol will not appear on the "Phone" tile anymore.

Is there a bug between SIM security function of WP and ATT voice mail system?  Is there a way to restore my phone to the state before the "SIM security" function messes it up?

Thanks for your help.

RookieWPUser

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

@RookieWPUsers wrote:

I didn't intend to mess with voice mail in the first place.  I was trying to use the SIM security function of the phone.  I even went to the AT&T website to learn how to use it.  That was how I found out the default SIM PIN for AT&T SIM card was 1111.  The problem that I'm having with my voicemail is a result of me trying to use the SIM security function of the phone.

As for going to AT&T customer care, this conversation thread thus far reflects the exact same thing that I'm experiencing from AT&T customer care.  No one believes me that this problem exists because no one has actually tested it as I have described earlier in this thread.  That's why I'm resorting to this Community discussion, hopefully someone higher up would read this and try it and have a resolution.

Can someone get a Lumia 920 and try this and see whether a resolution can be found?

RookeWPUser

The resolution is to leave data on.

With sim security off, the phone receives the cellular notification of VM and displays the VM indicator correctly. With sim security on, it does not.  Note that in WP7.5, on non-visual voicemail devices, the VM indicator did not work reliably at all on AT&T, and it was never resolved by Microsoft.

You (possibly) have discovered a relatively obsucre bug in WP8, the solution is to not disable data.

Alternately you can report the behavior to Microsoft and hope for an eventual fix from them.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, you do not understand me correctly.  Ok, if you have a Lumia 920, can you try this for me and you'll understand what I'm experiencing.  I've asked one of my friends with a Lumia 920 to try this and he also agreed that my voicemail notification was not working properly.

1.  turn off your data.

2.  turn off your WiFi

3.  call your phone from a land line or a cell phone

4.  don't pick up your call and leave a message to your voicemail.

5.  you will see a "1" and a "cassette" symbol shown on your "Phone" tile and a blue bar across the top saying you have a voicemail.  These notifications are being sent to your phone despite the fact that you don't have your data turned on (i.e. your data is turned off). 

If you now swipe to your visual voicemail, then you'll see a message at the top of your phone saying that you cannot connect to visual voicemail.  At this point, if you want to see the actual voicemail with the phone number and "play function" on your phone, then you'll need to turn on your data to download the voicemail.  Otherwise, you'll need to call your voicemail to listen to your messages.

Now, do the following:

6.  turn on SIM security and use the AT&T default SIM PIN (1111)

7.  wait till your phone reboot itself (wait approximately 5 to 10 minutes)

8.  After your phone has rebooted itself, repeat step 1 to 4 above.

You will no longer see a "casette symbol", and a blue bar across the top saying you have voicemail when your data and WiFi are turned off.  You will only see a "1" on the Phone tile.

Try this and let me know what you've found.  Also, if you can find a resolution to restore the phone to its original function as described in Step 5, please let me know and it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

RookieWPUser.

Scholar

• 

308 Messages

11 years ago

If your voicemail function is not working properly call AT&T customer care. That is what they are there for.

My visual voicemail kept asking for a password and they fixed that.

You have a voicemail problem, not a SIM problem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I didn't intend to mess with voice mail in the first place.  I was trying to use the SIM security function of the phone.  I even went to the AT&T website to learn how to use it.  That was how I found out the default SIM PIN for AT&T SIM card was 1111.  The problem that I'm having with my voicemail is a result of me trying to use the SIM security function of the phone.

As for going to AT&T customer care, this conversation thread thus far reflects the exact same thing that I'm experiencing from AT&T customer care.  No one believes me that this problem exists because no one has actually tested it as I have described earlier in this thread.  That's why I'm resorting to this Community discussion, hopefully someone higher up would read this and try it and have a resolution.

Can someone get a Lumia 920 and try this and see whether a resolution can be found?

RookeWPUser

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your info.  You're the first one who actually gave me an answer to my issue.  I've reported the issue to Microsoft after I read your response.  Just want to say thanks!

RookieWPUser

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.