Troubleshoot your device issues
Andrizzle4040's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, February 12th, 2009 4:35 AM

Closed

Annoying Propel Connection Problem

I have an app on my propel that requires a constant network connection. On my phone, when I run the app and it requests access to the network, I get a notification with two options:

"Allow access to application, ask again later"

"Don't allow access to application, ask again later"

Is there any way to enable a sort of "Allow access to application, DON'T ask again later"?

Thanks

-Andrew

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for being so helpful. I'll pick up a USB cable tomorrow. I'm interested for your next update.

-Andrew

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

Forgive me for the double post, but I figured it out, thanks to Dnoltensmeyer and his helpful posts.

You have to use  a USB cable, Qualcomm drivers, and a hex editer, but it works for me now. I'm now only asked for permission ONCE.

Follow the tutorials linked my Dnoltensmeyer in his previous post and it will work like a charm. 

-Andrew

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

Glad to hear it worked for you too.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

OK, I've had some success in getting rid of the nag screen on one of my apps.  
The app I'm using is called ebuddy and allows me to connect to several IM services at the same time including GTALK.  Being that it is an IM client that needs constant status updates, it would prompt me for permission to access the network about every two seconds.
After modifying the settings.bin file with a HEX editor and rebooting the phone, eBuddy started up and prompted me to "Allow and don't ask again"  I chose that option and didn't get prompted after that until I added my MSN account to eBuddy.  When I added the account I was prompted and only had the regular options of "Allow, and ask again next time", but it never asked again.  It seems there are certain actions with this app that will cause it top prompt, but they are rare requests and for the most part I am not prompted anymore.  So, I would consider this a success.  

Google mail does not appear to have a settings.bin file.  However I have read that there are ways around this.  I'll try it when I have time.
Here are the steps I took to "fix" eBuddy.
1, Change the USB mode on the phone.

On the Propel, dial *#0523# (this gets you into some debug screen)(WARNING!!! I'm betting you can mess up the phone pretty bad by messing with these settings so proceed at your own risk)  keep pushing # until you get to a menu that looks like this:

[1] Debug Screen
[2] Version Information
[3] RF Test
[4] UMTS rf nv
[5] Read gsm rf nv
[6] Write gsm rf nv
[7] Band Base
[8] Audio  

Now start pushing the down arrow( you will see the options change each time) until the menu looks like this:

[1] Batt.Temp
[2] FTM NV read
[3] FTM NV set
[4] FTM NV unset
[5] Version Info
[6] USB Configuration
[7] DIAG Configuration
[8] Power on info

Push 6 for USB Configuration.

You will see:

[1] Samsung USB [*]
[2] Qualcomm USB []
[3] PictBridge USB []

Push 2 for Qualcomm USB.  It will say "Qualcomm USB Configured.  Plz Reconnect the Cable.0"  Push confirm to exit.  If you want to change it back to the Samsung USB, just follow the same steps as before.  I have just left mine as the qualcomm usb and have had no problems charging or doing anything with USB on the phone.  I haven't found any reason to put it back to Samsung USB mode yet.

2. Download and install the qualcomm drivers on the PC.

I just did a google search for "qualcomm usb driver" and found the file hosted on rapid share. Then extract the drivers to a folder on your PC.

Connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable, then (on the phone) choose PC Studio.  The PC should then find new hardware.  When it asks for drivers, point the new hardware wizard to the folder that you extracted the Qualcomm drivers in.  It should do this three times(a modem, a diagnostics tool, and something else), though I think the only one that is important is the Qualcomm diagnostics, but Installed all three anyway (the all use the same drivers).

3.  Install the BitPim software

Do a goolge search on BitPim.  Download it and install it on the PC. Run it.

If it doesn't automatically try to detect your phone, then go to Edit and select Detect Phone.

Click the Phone Wizard button.

Select your provider (mine is at&t, but you can also select sprint, then select Samsung, then select SPH-A740 (the SPH-A747 or Propel is not listed).  Then click NEXT.

On the Comm port screen you want the one that has "Qualcomm diagnostics interface" in the description.  Mine was COM5, yours may be different.  

Dont click "detect phone" it won’t work anyway.  Click FINISH.

In BitPIM select VIEW, and then select VIEW FILESYSTEM.  Then, in the left most column near the bottom click on FILESYSTEM.  Now in the column just to the right of that column, select the folder "/" and it will retrieve the file system of the phone.

Browse to the folder /Media/Games and you will see all of the apps you have installed on the phone.  each app should have a sub folder called appdb.  Select that and you should see the settings.bin file(Gmail does not have the settings.bin file, that’s another story).  Right click it and choose SAVE, then save it to your PC.  Now make a copy of the original settings.bin as a backup.

Do a google search for "free hex editor" and install one.  (I know very little about HEX editing)  Open the settings.bin file with the HEX editor and look for byte 07.  change whatever is in that byte to 40.  Then save it.

Go back to BitPIM.  Right click on settings.bin and select DELETE.  Then right click in the white space and select new file.  A window will appear, browse to the settings.bin file you modified with the HEX editor.

Unplug the phone from the PC. .  Go to the app and launch it.  When I got prompted to allow access to the data network I had the option to "Allow, and don't ask again."   SUCCESS!

Here is where I got my information:
http://thesynchole.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3384
and
http://thesynchole.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1158

Message Edited by dnoltensmeyer on 02-16-2009 03:10:37 PM
Message Edited by dnoltensmeyer on 02-16-2009 03:11:23 PM
Message Edited by dnoltensmeyer on 02-16-2009 03:14:38 PM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.