Troubleshoot your device issues
Andrizzle4040's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, February 12th, 2009 4:35 AM

Closed

Annoying Propel Connection Problem

I have an app on my propel that requires a constant network connection. On my phone, when I run the app and it requests access to the network, I get a notification with two options:

"Allow access to application, ask again later"

"Don't allow access to application, ask again later"

Is there any way to enable a sort of "Allow access to application, DON'T ask again later"?

Thanks

-Andrew

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

I think I may have found some information to help solve this problem.  I have gained access to the phones file system without having it unlocked from the provider.

You need a USB data cable,  Qualcomm drivers,  a free program called BitPim to access the file system.

Using this I was able to remove the mobile banking app that comes on the phone.  I've run out of time so I'll just post links to the information I found.

http://thesynchole.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3384

http://thesynchole.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1158

Others have used this method to remove the nagging "allow acess" issue that we are having.  I havent gotten that far yet, but when I get more time I'll attempt it and report back.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

I am also having this same problem.  How can I allow a particular app to not require my constant approval.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

Here is the text from my conversation with AT&T reps which solved nothing.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a representative to respond.

Chat InformationWelcome to AT&T Data Support Chat. My name is 'Damon' and I’ll be happy to assist you today.

Damon: Hello. I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing today. Thank you for giving me the opportunity today to assist you with your issue of grating an application permanant permission to work. Before we begin how would you like to be addressed during our interaction today ( e.g. your first name, last name, Mr, Ms...etc.)?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: Dan is fine

Damon: Ok Dan thank you. I will need to access your account. Will this be ok?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: yes

Damon: This is a secure channel. Please provide the following information;

1-The wireless phone number you are inquiring about, area code first.
2-The first and last name as listed on the account.
3-Your full name.
4-The last four digits of the Social Security # or password listed on the account.

Please bear with me while I access your account. Once I have the information it may take me 1-2 minutes to complete this.
Thank you.

EDITED OUT PERSONAL INFO

Damon: Thank you Dan

Damon: Which application are you trying to downlaod

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: I have a couple that are having the problem. One is a messaging client that access Gtalk.

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: The other is an email client called flurrymail that I use to access my work email.

Damon: Are you trying to download the applications?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: I have them downloaded and they work. I can use them but I am constantly prompted with:

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: "Allow access to application, ask again later" "Don't allow access to application, ask again later" Is there any way to enable a sort of "Allow access to application, DON'T ask again later"?

Damon: Okay so that pop up comes up every time you access the applications? Does it do it to all of them?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: It pops up when I initially start the application, and pops up over and over again as the application is running.

Damon: It does that to both of those applications?

Damon: have you reset the device at all?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: no

Damon: Can you go ahead and remove your battery and sim card out of your device while your phone is powered on please?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: ok

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: done

Damon: Okay we will need to leave them out for 3-5 minutes. Did you ever reboot the phone after downloading these applications?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: ok, its been about 5 minutes, I'm putting the sim card and battery back in now

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: OK, its back on now

Damon: Okay can you try and access those apps now and see if you get that pop up error please?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: Ok, the application started and I was warned with this message. eBuddy will send personal data. This will require the use of airtime for which you may be charged. Continue?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: I chose the option:

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: This time, Aske me again next time.

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: The application connects like it should, but I am constantly presented with that same message over and over again.

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: There needs to be an option to allow access, and never ask me again.

Damon: Okay, can you bear with me for 3-4 minutes please?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: Also, This message is presented with any application on the phone, even the built in ones like the internet browser. They will prompt me for permission, but only once when I first launch the program, not constantly

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: yes I can wait.

Damon: Sorry for the delay

Damon: I am still working on that, can you bear with me 3-5 more minutes please?

Daniel Noltnesmeyer: take your time.

Damon: Okay Daniel I am sorry but I do not show an internal resolution for your problem, at this time I will have to refer you directly to the device manufacturer Samsung. Please call Samsung directly at Samsung (888) 987-4357

Damon: Daniel I am sorry I couldn't be of more help. May I assist you with anything else today?

Mod edit: Removed last name of representative per forum guidelines.

Message Edited by Sentry on 02-12-2009 03:31:14 PM

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

I called Samsung and was told that they can only support applications that came pre-installed on the phone and could not help me.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

Perhaps the phone needs to be unlocked in order to modify or disable this "feature".  I'm not sure what exatly is going to happen to the the phone if it is unlocked so I am not going to attempt this until I learn more about what can or will happen.

I hope that there will be some sort of firmware released that will allow this "feature" to be turned off, or allow the logical choice of "allow the application to access the data network, and do NOT prompt me for permission again"

AT&T How does one go about making feature requests for the phone firmware?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

I also learned that unlocking the phone may be a solution. I'm about to unlock mine, and I'll report back what happens...

I'm still completely open for suggestions however

-Andrew

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

Cool, let me know how that goes.

My main concern with unlocking it is if if will lose its built in IM functions.  I believe they use SMS not data traffic.

Also, I'm hoping that unlocking it will allow you to remove the built in programs like mobile banking and mobiTV.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

I believe it will, considering it gives you complete writable access to the filesystem

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

@Andrizzle4040 wrote:

I have an app on my propel that requires a constant network connection. On my phone, when I run the app and it requests access to the network, I get a notification with two options:

"Allow access to application, ask again later"

"Don't allow access to application, ask again later"

Is there any way to enable a sort of "Allow access to application, DON'T ask again later"?

Thanks

-Andrew

In the other applications, it all asks for Dont ask again later.. I think it may be best to upgrade the software on the phone at the shop or something. Unlocking wont solve the problem.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

I think the problem comes from the fact that the java app is unsigned. 

I've read some things that say having the application signed will allow the option to "allow, and dont ask again."

I've also read that the process of getting a java application signed involves about $400-$700 for EVERY version of the software.  Also, the certificate expires after one year, so the application developers must pay the CA for every version every year to remain a signed application.

This makes sense why the authors of these applications don't bother with paying a CA like verisign or whomever else is in the application signing business.  Even the Google apps like gmail and google maps aren't signed.

The applications that do appear to be signed (the ones that come pre-installed on the phone, and the ones availiable to be purchased at the MEdia net) require you to pay for them.  Several of these apps require a subscription of about $3 a month.

You can check to see if the app is signed by going to the app and selecting properties.  You will also notice that the CA that has signed these apps is AT&T or Cingular.  So basically this "security feature" is a way for at&t to eliminate comptition of free java apps from their paid applications that you can buy from them.

I've looked for a way around this.  The closest I came was installing your own homemade certificate and the signing the app to that homemade certificate.  Unfortuantly, there is no way to add your homemade certificate to the Propel the way you can on other "real" smart phones.

So, Unless the developer decides to pay have their app signed by a CA(which will probably never happen for a free application), we are probably stuck having to constatly grant permission for our apps to be able to access the data network that we are already paying for.

The other alternative would be for at&t or samsung to release a firmware that would allow this "security feature" of prompting for net access to be removed completely, but why would they.  They have us locked into thier proprietary system.   Lets hope they do the right thing and serve their already paying customers instead of simply trying to bilk us for more money.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.