Troubleshoot your device issues
rory531's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 5:24 PM

Amber Alerts not able to be turned off

Hello,

I have a windows phone that is randomly getting amber alerts. On most phones, there is a setting within messaging to toggle off amber alerts. For instance, if I was on Verizon and I wanted to do this, i would follow these simple instructions:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=67903

for the exact same phone as what i have(HTC 8x). Why would you AT&T not allow for this functionality or remove it from the operating system? This is actually a pretty bad thing, considering AT&T IS NOT FOLLOWING FEMA GUIDELINES, based on their own website:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?&sid=KB410692&cv=820#fbid=M9KdMChTw0T

If you have a WEA capable device, you are automatically enrolled to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts. Based on FEMA guidelines, you may opt out of the following types of alerts:

• Alerts involving imminent threats to life or property issued by the National Weather Service or other authorized emergency management agency
  • Amber Alerts (missing child alerts)

The phone is clearly WEA capable, and clearly has the functionality, as shown by verizon, and is not complying with federal guidelines.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

@mich9738 wrote:

My iPhone5 also does not have a button in Settings->messages. It's an AT&T thing.

The bigger problem I've got with the service is that although I don't mind Amber alerts for my area, my wife and I are getting ones sent out for California... despite us being in Washington. That's annoying as all get out.

Yes it does. You need to update to the latest version of iOS if they are NOT on your iPhone.

Settings->Notifications

Scroll all the way down.

Turn off both...

I know, because it's on the 4s - I just turned off my wife's amber alerts 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

On the Windows phone- Click the text message tile on the homepage. Under MESSAGING page click on the lower right corner three dots... which will bring up menu. Click on settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the page that opens to the emergency alerts button. Click emergency alerts and amber alerts will open. Turn off Amber Alerts. Return to homepage and that's it.

Explorer

• 

31 Messages

10 years ago

In response to your issue at leat from my point of view

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and I have the option to turn off wirless amber alerts or even turn them on so it could be something that is not what at&t did but htc because i know the nokia lumias with winodws phone 8 or higher have that setting to turn off or on

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

26237 returns invalid short code on my ATT Windows phone.  Here is the REAL solution:

Got to Messaging app.

Click three dots lower right corner and select "Settings"

Under SIM touch link to SIM1 (or it may be "SIM" on your phone)

About 3/4 of the way down the page you will see "Change emergency alert settings"

Tap there and disable or enable the alerts of your choosing.

If you find this helpful please mark as answer.  If you need screenshots I can provide them.

- Dave

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.