Troubleshoot your device issues
rory531's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 5:24 PM

Amber Alerts not able to be turned off

Hello,

I have a windows phone that is randomly getting amber alerts. On most phones, there is a setting within messaging to toggle off amber alerts. For instance, if I was on Verizon and I wanted to do this, i would follow these simple instructions:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=67903

for the exact same phone as what i have(HTC 8x). Why would you AT&T not allow for this functionality or remove it from the operating system? This is actually a pretty bad thing, considering AT&T IS NOT FOLLOWING FEMA GUIDELINES, based on their own website:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?&sid=KB410692&cv=820#fbid=M9KdMChTw0T

If you have a WEA capable device, you are automatically enrolled to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts. Based on FEMA guidelines, you may opt out of the following types of alerts:

• Alerts involving imminent threats to life or property issued by the National Weather Service or other authorized emergency management agency
  • Amber Alerts (missing child alerts)

The phone is clearly WEA capable, and clearly has the functionality, as shown by verizon, and is not complying with federal guidelines.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

rory531,

Welcome to the forums, I have some information below to assist you in turning off your Amber Alerts.

Wireless AMBER Alert program

Unsubscribe/Cancel Wireless AMBER Alerts

Customers may cancel their Wireless AMBER Alerts subscription at any time by using the following method

• Send a text message with the word Stop, Quit, or Cancel to short code 26237 (AMBER).

James

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

ATT_James,

I am having this exact same issue with the HTC 8X.  I find it unacceptable that AT&T's approach is to force customers to figure out how to unsubscribe to a service they didn't sign up for in the first place.  My number is auto enrolled by AT&T without a way to properly block the messages.

I have attempted to unsubscribe by texting the short code, with zero success.

Additionally on the link you provided, which has been provided to me on more then one occasion by AT&T support staff, CLEARLY says I need to contact my provider for directions.

Q: Can I opt-out of AMBER Alerts?

A: Consumers may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts. Per the WARN Act of 1996, Congress said that no consumer could opt out of Presidential Alerts.

The directions for opting out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts vary by device and provider. Please contact your wireless service provider for instructions."

I'm not sure it could be any more clear.  We need this fixed!  During the last Amber Alert in my area I recieved EIGHTEEN alert messages within a few hours!  Not the most convenient thing when you can't even silence them.

I'm tired of being told to go unsubscribe myself which is a complete cop-out by AT&T support.  If AT&T doesn't have control of the software running on the phone, you'd think they could at LEAST have control over the data on their own network.  

I'm still waiting for a followup call from tech support.  My guess is they'll read this post and regurgitate the same non-answer.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

It's supposed to have ended in December of 2012... so maybe you're not actually getting AMBER Alerts?

That is the supposed method of unsubscribing per

http://wirelessamberalerts.wirelessfoundation.org/help.htm

"

Opting In and Out Overview

Using only their wireless device, most wireless subscribers can subscribe (opt in) to Wireless AMBER Alerts, or cancel (opt out) the subscription.

Upon originating a text message to short code 26237 (AMBER), you can enter keywords that enable enrollment (ex. Subscribe), cancellation (ex. Stop), ZIP Code entries or changes, or access to Help instructions.

You receive a short message back indicating a successful action. If the keywords cannot be recognized, you receive a message suggesting appropriate entries.

Upon enrolling, you are assigned a random password that can be used to access www.wirelessamberalerts.org. After logging on to the web site, you can change the random password to a more meaningful one.

Requesting Help using your Wireless Device

Using your handset, you can request brief instructions that include how to subscribe, modify ZIP Codes and cancel a subscription.

1. Send to short code 26237 (AMBER), and then enter the keyword help or HELP.
  2. A set of instructions appears on your handset.

Example: "Send to 26237. To enroll/modify: keyword AMBER + up to 5 zip codes (e.g., AMBER 12345). To Cancel: keyword STOP. More info: www.wirelessamberalerts.org"

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

johninsj,

I appreciate the information but as I said in my previous post.

1.) I've tried every combination of sending commands to AMBER (26237), with no response.  It simply does nothing.  Additionally, you cannot respond to the AMBER Alerts as they arrive on the device as read-only.

2.) They are absolutely amber alerts, the top of the message says AMBER ALERT and proceeds to decscribe Amber alerts that are in the local news.

I realize this is partially HTC's problem for not implementing a way to disable these alerts in their software, but the fact remains you CAN disable them on the same exact phone for other carriers.  Why oh why is this any different on this network?  

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

Are you seeing the NEW Wireless Emergency Alert, and not the SMS Amber Alert? If so, you need to Opt Out in a different way.

This page is from VZ but should be the same for any Windows Phone that supports the new system (like yours)

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=67903

(You can also get to this setting via

Settings -> Applications -> Messaging

Choose "Emergency Alerts" button at the bottom. Toggle AMBER Alerts to off.)

Note that by law, if your device supports the new Wireless Emergency Alert system, it has to ship with it fully enabled.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, these are exactly what I am seeing.

Unfortunately the problem here is EXACTLY what you have pasted.  On a verizon or sprint HTC 8x the "Emergency Alerts" button is available.  On my AT&T device this button simply does not exist.

Again, for whatever reason AT&T and/or HTC have decided to remove this functionality.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

@MaynardK wrote:

Unfortunately the problem here is EXACTLY what you have pasted.  On a verizon or sprint HTC 8x the "Emergency Alerts" button is available.  On my AT&T device this button simply does not exist.

Again, for whatever reason AT&T and/or HTC have decided to remove this functionality.

What version of the OS on HTC 8X are you running?

Settings->About->More Info->OS Version

Edit: and I apologise ahead of time if this seems obvious, but did you check to see if the button is there but you just need to swipe up to scroll it into view?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

@johninsj wrote:

@MaynardK wrote:

What version of the OS on HTC 8X are you running?

Settings->About->More Info->OS Version

Edit: and I apologise ahead of time if this seems obvious, but did you check to see if the button is there but you just need to swipe up to scroll it into view?

No apologies necessary.  In all honesty I hope it turns out to be user error, but so far I don't think so.  Anyway, 

1.) OS version: 8.0.10211.204

2.) Under 'Settings' -> 'Applications' -> 'messaging'    I have the following items:

• Text message backup - On/Off Toggle
  • Use Facebook Chat - On/Off Toggle
  • Group text - On/Off Toggle
  • Automatically download MMS - On/Off Toggle
  • SMS center number - Textbox
  • add mms apn - Button

(There are no other controls on this page, double checked.)

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

And you've checked for updates under Settings -> Phone Update... if so, then yeah, this is oddly not enabled as an option for AT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

My iPhone5 also does not have a button in Settings->messages. It's an AT&T thing.

The bigger problem I've got with the service is that although I don't mind Amber alerts for my area, my wife and I are getting ones sent out for California... despite us being in Washington. That's annoying as all get out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.