Troubleshoot your device issues
michail77's profile

Guru

• 

497 Messages

Thursday, March 6th, 2014 3:04 AM

AT&T Removed Lumia 1520's Screen Timout Never Option - WANT IT BACK!

For some unknown reason AT&T removed the screen timout option for "Never" from this phone.  It has an IPS panel and not an AMOLED panel so that isn't a reason it should be removed.  The Lumia 1520 also has the best battery life of any smartphone on the market.  So that shouldn't be an issue either.  This option was on the Lumia 920 after the second firmware release.

Yes, all Windows Phone 8 Operating Sytems contain this option by default.  According to Nokia it is up to the carrier to remove it.  I can see it there too in the SDK emulator when I'm developing apps.

This setting migrated from my Lumia 920 to my 1520 and I was able to use it for a while until I had to do a reboot on the phone.  Even though the option was there it set it from the 920's backup.  After the reboot I was forced to use 5 minutes.

When I did have the option set to Never by that restore backdoor I could leave the screen on for over an hour with very little battery drain. 

I know AT&T is a huge company that doesn't listen to individual customers but is there any way to voice this request to someone that could take action?  The Windows Phone 8.1 firmware update is coming soon and it would be nice to have Never back as a timeout choice. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, and my only go up to 15 minutes, I believe it's an option that can be adjusted by corporate security. @michail77 , do you have a work or school email on your phone?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, michail77!

Thanks for posting. We appreciate our customers' feedback, and I will be sure to forward your comments. If there is anything you'd like to add, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thanks!

-Mariana

Guru

• 

497 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you!  A reply was more than I expected. 🙂

Guru

• 

497 Messages

10 years ago

Turning on Data Sense for WP8.1 would be nice too.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Just updated to the 1520 from a 920 and discovered that this is missing. Please add it back in. I've been stuck trying to load a file from my Onedrive account, but everytime the screen locks the download stops and I have to start over. If I could just set it to never, I would have been done and wouldn't have to stare at my phone to make sure it dosen't time out.

(and please add Data Sense back too Smiley Wink)

Guru

• 

497 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTMarianaCM wrote:

Hello, michail77!

Thanks for posting. We appreciate our customers' feedback, and I will be sure to forward your comments. If there is anything you'd like to add, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thanks!

-Mariana

Well, the final WP8.1 firmware came out and the Never option was left off 😞

At least we gained the 15 minute option but the 30 minute option in the firmware was also removed from the AT&T build.

What really sucks is there are reports other carriers have enabled this in the new firmware. 

Why doesn't AT&T allow this? Are they afraid we are not smart enough to use that setting responsibly?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hmmmm I did the update on my 1520 and I have data sense, wifi sense and never time out option

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I did send it back to Nokia because a i had a screen jittering problem and all they did was reinstalled all the updates

Scholar

• 

85 Messages

10 years ago

@michail77 wrote:

When I did have the option set to Never by that restore backdoor I could leave the screen on for over an hour with very little battery drain.

You're free to try and imply whatever you wish, but the term "very little", is fairly subjective, maybe even misleading if used in the context in which you describe. Leaving the screen on ANY device for an hour, will result in a noticable/sizeable/considerable battery drain (take your choice) and if you an app developer as you claim to be, this must remain a primary concern for you as part of your design/implementation of any app architecture or configuration.

Can/should AT&T be able to control this? I highly doubt they would just up and remove a feature without justification or basis, so I see no reason why they should be prevented from changing it. They provide a product and service based upon conditions and terms that they control. And there is not a service provider out there that would be wiling ar capable (even if willing) of pleasing evey custoimer when it comes to every feature available out there.

Guru

• 

497 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Yes, and my only go up to 15 minutes, I believe it's an option that can be adjusted by corporate security. @michail77 , do you have a work or school email on your phone?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Yes, it is how the firware is interpreting the policy.  The corporate policy just requires a password.  Ony my Lumia 920 it allowed Never on 8.0 with the same policy.  It seems 8.1 only allows up to 15 minutes with a password policy.

I'm really down to one app where it's an issue for me.  I have Rhapsody and I like to use it for streaming while the phone is docked in my car.  Every other streaming service has prevent lockscreen option except for them.  I've been after them for years to get it added and they always reply that "it sounds like a good ideal, we'll pass it along to our ..." but they never add the feature.

The other scenario is when I'm working out in the gym. I have a few apps I juggle around for tracking. The older 5 minute option was a problem but at 15 minutes it is less likeley to lock.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.