Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Kids smart watch phone plan

Teacher

Kids smart watch phone plan

Does at&t have any plans on providing a smart phone watch option for kids in the foreseeable future?  There used to be the FiLIP 2 (no longer available).  

Is there a product that is compatible with at&t that I could purchase seperatly for my 9 yr old child?

Verizon offers the LG gizmo gadget.

Message 1 of 46
Tutor

Re: Kids smart watch phone

Okay, so we are among the first group of young families in our neighborhood of 1,500 new homes to have children reach the age where they are somewhat independent but not independent enough to have all the responsibilities that a real phone brings.  We are extremely disappointed that AT&T STILL does not offer a comparable device like the Gizmo Gadget currently being serviced by Verizon.  Perhaps the reason that the device they had a year ago didn't have much in sales is because this is a NEW market being developed.  There is so much research being done on the harmful effects of giving children phones at an early age, and social media is blowing up at the moment with the dangers of giving these devices to your kids.  Now that parents are becoming more and more aware of how harmful it is to give a child a "real" phone we would now like to find something safer for our kids.  How hard is this to understand? Markets change, and right now the Gizmo watch is a hot market.  We have been doing extensive research on other watches that we may or may not be able to "add" to AT&T, trying to figure out a way to stay, and so far, there's nothing we have found that is as reliable and affordable at Verizon's Gizmo.  We have been customers with AT&T for almost ten years.  We don't want to switch after all that time - we were quite happy, but at the moment, we have to do what's best for our family and that means making a switch.  Many other families will be following us and I imagine someday, hopefully soon, AT&T will finalize realize that there is a market for a watch like this!  Flip phones don't work for active kids and we need something to stay in touch with them when they are on their bikes without worrying if that flip phone is going to fall out of their pockets.

Message 16 of 46
Contributor

It’s enough to make me consider switching providers...I’m not giving an 8 year old a cell phone so what option is att giving me 

Message 17 of 46
ACE - Expert

@ahuston wrote:

Okay, so we are among the first group of young families in our neighborhood of 1,500 new homes to have children reach the age where they are somewhat independent but not independent enough to have all the responsibilities that a real phone brings.  We are extremely disappointed that AT&T STILL does not offer a comparable device like the Gizmo Gadget currently being serviced by Verizon.  Perhaps the reason that the device they had a year ago didn't have much in sales is because this is a NEW market being developed.  There is so much research being done on the harmful effects of giving children phones at an early age, and social media is blowing up at the moment with the dangers of giving these devices to your kids.  Now that parents are becoming more and more aware of how harmful it is to give a child a "real" phone we would now like to find something safer for our kids.  How hard is this to understand? Markets change, and right now the Gizmo watch is a hot market.  We have been doing extensive research on other watches that we may or may not be able to "add" to AT&T, trying to figure out a way to stay, and so far, there's nothing we have found that is as reliable and affordable at Verizon's Gizmo.  We have been customers with AT&T for almost ten years.  We don't want to switch after all that time - we were quite happy, but at the moment, we have to do what's best for our family and that means making a switch.  Many other families will be following us and I imagine someday, hopefully soon, AT&T will finalize realize that there is a market for a watch like this!  Flip phones don't work for active kids and we need something to stay in touch with them when they are on their bikes without worrying if that flip phone is going to fall out of their pockets.

@ahuston

LG's report of these watches sold number in less than 200k that is not a market when you think about the R&D cost for a device and verizon has a exclusive deal with LG.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 46
Contributor

Has anyone used Relay?? It looks like a little speaker. Single button in the middle. Used kinda like a walkie talkie, but using LTE and connects with phone app... I think it’s like $7 monthly and $100 for the device

Message 19 of 46
Contributor

I just bought a Verizon gizmo off a buy sell trade page, I’m not going to be able to hook it up for my daughter under my AT&T plan?!?

Message 20 of 46
ACE - Expert

Nope.  It's verizon only.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 46
Tutor

-##And this is why I've just ported over to Verizon! BUH-BYE!
Message 22 of 46
Contributor

I was told tonight by att rep that I could go to att store and they could order filip 2 and it would be $10 a month.  Is this correct?

Message 23 of 46
Professor

AT&T no longer sells the Filip 2.

Message 24 of 46
Tutor

Totally agree!! Ive been with AT&T since they were cingular wireless....so nearly 20 years. We are looking at switching for several reasons, but one is being not having a watch for my son so I can track him

Message 25 of 46
Tutor

@GLIMMERMAN76

200K is alot when its only verizon!! 

Let me spell it out for you....AT&T customers WANT a device like the Gizmo as our kids arent ready for a phone, but walk home from school, go on field trips, go to friends houses, etc. Why is that so hard to understand.

Message 26 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Txmomof2 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

200K is alot when its only verizon!! 

Let me spell it out for you....AT&T customers WANT a device like the Gizmo as our kids arent ready for a phone, but walk home from school, go on field trips, go to friends houses, etc. Why is that so hard to understand.

@Txmomof2

say what?  A lot?(apple sells that many iphones a day)  Verizon has 152 million subscribers..  ATT has 147 million subs...  200k is a drop in the bucket and is telling on the demand of the device.  If LG thought they could make money on the devices they would have brought it to all us carriers.  Wearables right now are dominated by apple and fitbit.

Message 27 of 46
Contributor

I’m thinking the Relay might be the way to go at this point. I’m so over AT&T. When I asked a AT&T Customer Service Rep about a wearable or travkable device I was told to get my 6 year old a phone.  Because a phone is definitely a responsibility for a 6 year old <insert biggest eye roll>. If my 6 year old was responsible enough to have a phone we wouldn’t be asking about a wearable or tracking device.

Message 28 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Kellly0071 wrote:

I’m thinking the Relay might be the way to go at this point. I’m so over AT&T. When I asked a AT&T Customer Service Rep about a wearable or travkable device I was told to get my 6 year old a phone.  Because a phone is definitely a responsibility for a 6 year old <insert biggest eye roll>. If my 6 year old was responsible enough to have a phone we wouldn’t be asking about a wearable or tracking device.

@Kellly0071

you can say the samething about a watch...  They can take it off and lose it just as easy as a flip phone.

Message 29 of 46
Tutor

Definitely not as easy.
Message 30 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
TechBuzz by AT&T is here to show you some of the ways that you can stay heart healthy with smart devices.
Additional Support