For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Annie03's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Friday, May 5th, 2017 1:03 AM

Cannot Activate Used Samsung Gear S3

I need help. Bought a Gear S3 from e-bay and the number in the watch is not active any longer but I still cannot activate it on another number. I chatted for hours with AT&T then went into the AT&T store and no one can help me figure this out....you should not sell items that you do not train your people on supporting!! How can I get service???

[Title edited to reflect new topic.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi Annie,

I'm going through the very same issue. I just finished 2 hours of blah blah blah with AT&T with the same thoughts going through my head - how can Samsung create an eSIM that can never be reused once it's attached to a number - absurd - completely absurd. I emailed the ebayer to contact AT&T to remove the ICCID and IMEI from the number - to de-activate it so I can try connecting to my account. And if he's not able to, than to refund me full price plus shipping back to him. I'll keep this open and keep you posted. Let me know how it turns out for you. 

Tarek

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@TarekM wrote:

Hi Annie,

I'm going through the very same issue. I just finished 2 hours of blah blah blah with AT&T with the same thoughts going through my head - how can Samsung create an eSIM that can never be reused once it's attached to a number - absurd - completely absurd. I emailed the ebayer to contact AT&T to remove the ICCID and IMEI from the number - to de-activate it so I can try connecting to my account. And if he's not able to, than to refund me full price plus shipping back to him. I'll keep this open and keep you posted. Let me know how it turns out for you. 

Tarek

@ATTKevin @ATTTimCS  do you think you all could help this user?  This esim thing is becoming a big PITA

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I`m looking to buy an AT&T s3 from an eBay store.  They seem to be selling a large quantity, but I`m wondering if the sim can be unlocked?  I live in Canada EH, and would like to use the LTE up here......

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Was this ever resolved? I just bought a used one too and the listing said they checked the SIM and it was ready to be reprovisioned but it doesn't seem like anybody who works at at&t knows anything about these devices or how to support them

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

As far as I know AT&T is clueless about how to handle this, especially the workers in the stores...waste of time trying to talk to them as they just call the same tech support line that you can and get put on hold like you would. Like robots, if it is not an Iphone...they have no clue...sad.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am currently going through the same problem. My wife bought me the Samsung Gear S3 for my birthday brand new from the AT&T store by her work. I took the watch to get connected to my account at the new AT&T on 256 in Pickerington and the manager there had no Idea what he was doing and transferred my cell number to my gear S3 which deemed my phone unusable. I was fed up and went to the corporate store on 256 in Reynoldsburg and they had to put a new SiM in my phone and could not wipe the eSIM on the Gear S3 clean to add another number. The gentleman called several different AT&T tech supports and no could reset the eSIM for activation. I was told to just return or exchange the watch for a full refund and they will not charge me a restocking fee. Sounds like an ongoing issue that has not been resolved making the Gear S3 a one time use eSIM.......Very time consuming and frustrating!!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Be careful as I did the same thing and they still billed me for 3 months, even though I returned the phone on the same day. I had to stop payment and thank god I used my Amex as Amex reversed the charges...

AT&T has no idea how to train their own folks, it would be funny if it did not cause us so much wasted time.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I found someone online say the way they managed to get their watch to work
was to add a new wearable number to your line. Wait until they send you the
Sim card in the mail and activate the line. Then call them and tell them to
transfer the line to the Sim number on your phone. This then updates the
watch number OTA and worked.

I haven't tried it myself but that's what I read.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Re: Cannot Activate Used Samsung Gear S3

Having same issue and here it is 2019 att store has no clue how to delete esim profile does not show up on watch or geer app on phone

had a gear-s with micro simm paying for added line going to cancel the 10 dollars a month because att cant figure it out  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This entire eSIM situation is completely infuriating.  My wife purchased me a Gear S3 Frontier; and the eSIM is evidently carrier locked (this was a refurbished item).  It literally is a brick.  

The eSIM was originally activated on T-mobile.  However; T-mobile cannot unlock the eSIM because I don't have an account with them (I wasn't the original owner).  AT&T can't unlock it, because it's carrier locked.  Samsung can't do anything either.  They've literally locked themselves out from ever making this device usable via 4G LTE ever again.

To take a literally "as new" device, and have built it in a way that it cannot be used by a second purchaser is amazingly absurd.  No other devices work like this.  You remove the SIM, verify that the IMEI isn't blacklisted; and put in a new SIM, and you're good to go.  Not with these devices.  They literally become a brick.  The bluetooth-only versions are WAY less expensive; but that's what you end up with if you purchase one of these as certified-refurbished (even through Amazon, as a verified refurb-dealer).

So angry about wasting literally 7 hours of my life... on top of the fact that I had to do a complete setup of the watch from a factory reset (all firmware upgrades, all app installations... etc., which was at least another 4 hours in total).  So; nearly a dozen hours wasted.

Beware.  eSIM are NOT easily ported from one carrier to another.  The carriers, nor producers of the actual product know what they're doing here!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.