The new iPhone 15
jbmacc's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 5th, 2017 6:00 PM

Apple watch 3 on grandfathered unlimited data plan?

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with two lines on the account.  How can I add an apple watch series 3 to one of the lines, and what will be the cost?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

It would have to be added as a separate plan which means the cost is somewhere between $40 to $50 a month.  (Line fee and separate data plan).  

According to the information it cannot be added to anything other than current plans.   If you really want it, it’s time to price the current plan, which for most is cheaper than the old plan.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@dave006 wrote:

You will not get help from calling Customer Care but you should be able to stop by a AT&T Corporate Retail location. Note this different from a Mall kiosk or your local AT&T Authorized agent. You can look up your nearest Corporate Retail location at www.att.com.

The rep can add a wearable plan without touching or making any changes to your existing plan. Just ask the rep to add the $10 Wearable Unlimited plan to your Billing account, they will need the EID and the IMEI information from the watch's box.

If they have trouble understanding or can't figure it out. Just ask them to create a new group, Select individual plan vs mobile share plan and they will see the Unlimited Wearable plan for $10.

Dave

@dave006

actually that is way WRONG...  I know 2 people that had to change plans to get the apple watch added.  They both had grandfathered unlimited data plans.  It can only be added to the newer plans listed below

Eligible Plans for Apple watch

• AT&T Unlimited Plus℠
  • AT&T Unlimited Choice℠
  • Mobile Share Advantage℠

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

They were able to add my watch to the grandfathered plan for $10 but it was for 1GB (unlimited but it slows down after the 1GB) plus a $30 monthly fee to add a new group since I have 5 lines.  He did look at my current account and said even adding the watch @ $40 per month that what I had would still be cheaper than a new plan.  They also thought I would not use more than 1GB a month.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Ashtonc4488

We have been saying all along, ATT cannot add it to the old plan.  And they didn’t. 

You now have a separate plan (Mobile Share Advantage) added to your account at $40 a month.  Unless you have a HUGE discount (like 50%) or lines still in a contract till January, it’s unlikely it’s cheaper.  If you do have lines in contract, that price difference evaporates when contracts end.

You should price the plan compared to your current plan to see what the difference is.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Ashtonc4488 wrote:

@They were able to add my watch to the grandfathered plan for $10 but it was for 1GB (unlimited but it slows down after the 1GB) plus a $30 monthly fee to add a new group since I have 5 lines.  He did look at my current account and said even adding the watch @ $40 per month that what I had would still be cheaper than a new plan.  They also thought I would not use more than 1GB a month.

They likely did NOT add it to your GF plan. You likely got a whole new plan.

(Or they added a new line to that plan: $10 line and $30 data).

They created another $30 1GB plan on your and put a $10 wearable on your plan.

I'd be shocked if the a new plan would cost more than the $40 + taxes/fees. You've got a heck of a discount or phones still on contact for a few more months.

On Unlimited Plus you can do 5 lines + 1 wearable on unlimited plus for $215 before taxes and after $10 autopay discount. This gets you hotspot on each line, Canada/Mexico, free HBO and a current plan (and unlimited calling/data/texting).

It also gets you $25 off AT&T TV if interested.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That’s exactly what they did-and I kept my grandfathered plan. Not interested in changing that at this point.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Ashtonc4488   I’m sure ATT doesn’t care if you pay more, but you might 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Ashtonc4488 wrote:
That’s exactly what they did-and I kept my grandfathered plan. 

But they didn't add it to your plan for only $10.

Not interested in changing that at this point.

I'm okay with that.

BUT at some point when they CANCEL that older plan or RAISE THE PRICE and the current plan isn't available any more you might wish that you had been interested...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I didn’t think they could cancel the grandfathered plans-another reason why I stayed on...

I found a very long forum back and forth on this-also concerned about having issues with service if we make the change (if its not broken, don’t fix it? I’m probably naive here?). I think I have a few weeks to change my mind-correct?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Ashtonc4488  

You can change plans any time.  That is, if the the plan and its perks are available.  The $25 discount on TV services is going away.  The ability to add a mobile hotspot is going away.  They can take away the free HBO too.   

The performance on the old plan and new unlimited plus are the same.  One or two people with a problem is not indicative of a change in service provided.  And definitely not a conspiracy.   Those folks with a problem need to pry off their tin foil hats and have the problem fixed by ATT, not spread untruths.   Let’s face it, it’s always far more likely ATT screwed up.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.