Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T building noise

Teacher

AT&T building noise

We live next door to 3900 Blackhawk Plaza Circle. I’ve fought for at least 20 years a humming sound coming from the building.

HELP! I’ve called the call center and gotten responses that are unacceptable. I’m beside myself! They (property manager) Mike Becker says there is no noise...my S.O. Is trying to help me now calling other agencies as the humming and smoke bellowing from this building could also be cancer causing...we’re calling the EPA, OSHA, anyone we can for help 

Message 1 of 29
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T building noise

I have no idea who you should contact but I'm quite certain this forum and customer support can't help. Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29
ACE - Sage

Looking it up, doesn’t show any ATT presence in that building, nor is it manufacturing.  It is some kind of warehouse and office building.  

You should address your issue with the building management 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 29
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 wrote:

Looking it up, doesn’t show any ATT presence in that building, nor is it manufacturing.  It is some kind of warehouse and office building.  

You should address your issue with the building management 

@lizdance40

actually that is the central office for ATT's network gear...  you can see a ATT van at the back of the building if you look at the overhead view in google maps.

Message 4 of 29
Teacher

Re: AT

FYI...Yes...it IS an AT&T building...it is a warehouse that houses data material and has to be kept a certain temperature..I live next door to it. IT HUMS constantly....I have talked to building management....to no avail...they are very rude and dismissive. Thank you for at least answering me...my husband and I are now talking to OSHA and/or the EPA.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 5 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎04-03-2018 9:20 AM

@Assesss wrote:
FYI...Yes...it IS an AT&T building...it is a warehouse that houses data material and has to be kept a certain temperature..I live next door to it. IT HUMS constantly....I have talked to building management....to no avail...they are very rude and dismissive. Thank you for at least answering me...my husband and I are now talking to OSHA and/or the EPA..[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]..

@Assesss

The humming is the power usage it takes to run a data center...  OSHA has no control over this since it does not effect worker health and safety and the EPA even less...  FCC maybe since its telecom equipment...  I notice there is a wall that is in place...  Your city caused this problem allowing residential so close to a commercial site.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 29
Teacher

Thank you for your reply...I know the city shouldn't have let this happen, but I was powerless against AT&T....
I lived here 20 years before this happened. They had meetings and there was objection but they did it anyway of course.
I'm retired and not leaving, so I have to co exist somehow.
I sure appreciate any other advice you could give me. I'm thinking of OSHA because it does bellow out black smoke at certain times in the evening. There has to be an agency of some kind that could help.
Thanks again
Sandra and David

Message 7 of 29
ACE - Sage

I think your spitting into the wind.  

But lesson learned.  My retirement home won’t be next to an empty lot.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 8 of 29
Teacher

Well, I should’ve checked out WHO owned that open space! Never dreamed this could happen cause this is a residential area!
Yes, be careful
Message 9 of 29
Teacher

No, I'm not, (as you say), "spitting into the wind!" I received a call from an AT&T engineer who acknowledged the humming sound I'm hearing in my townhouse. He said the building needed routine maintenance and he worked on it and adjusted the fan and hoped that took care of the noise.

it did. I thanked him profusely and he told me to let him know if it ever bothers me again.

thank goodness there are still some people out there who care enough to help.

thank you John Simmons!

Message 10 of 29
Community Manager

Hi @Assesss

That's great to hear. Thank you so much for posting an update!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 29

Well, I just bought a house less than half a block from the AT&T facility at 6135 Whittier Blvd. In East Los Angeles. They have a failing AC compressor on the roof that sounds like a helicopter. It runs about 2 minutes out of every 10, and when it spins up you can hear the blades hitting something due to the failing bearings.

I am contacting our county supervisor, Hilda Solis, to try to get this remedied. Most of the people in the area are Spanish speaking only, and they have been putting up with being kept up all night for months.

If this were LA City, the LAPD would handle it. But the County Sherriff's don't deal with nuisance noise.

Message 12 of 29
Teacher

I can certainly sympathize! I'm in Blackhawk, Ca. and I had no idea an industrial AT&T monstrosity would be built next door to me. I've been complaining for MANY YEARS to a building manager that was less than sympathetic. He told me to "invest in earplugs! The call center finally put me in touch with the engineer that works on the building. He told me he adjusted the fans and admitted he heard the constant humming. He also told me the building was due for maintenance, and it should be fine now. Just hope this guy stays on the job.
Message 13 of 29

It must be very irritating to you that beckyww "accepted" GLIMMERMAN76's smarmy answer as the solution to your problem. The solution to your problem and mine were/are the same... AT&T needs to take responsibility to maintain their buildings in a state that does not create a hazard or nuisance for their neighbors. In these two particular cases, unbalanced compressor fans created very high decibel harmonic noise at all hours of the day. In my case, the bearings have actually failed and the noise is DREADFUL.

Message 14 of 29
Teacher

Yes! Consider they are near residential
Areas.

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support