mpw101's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, May 4th, 2014 10:53 PM

where is New Orleans NBC channel?

I have no idea where to post this, so I'll try here.  Tell me where to post if this is wrong.

I live on the Gulfcoast in Mississippi.  I used to get NBC from New Orleans on channel 1006. Now I get a local channel, WXXVH2, which does not have near the programing that the New Orleans channel has.  Why did U-verse take away the New Orleans NBC channel.  The local NBC channel on the coast in Mississippi is awful.

I want to know why the New Orleans channel was taken away, I used to get it and the local NBC channel, but only watched the New Orleans channel.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

@JadedPixie wrote:

I'm on the MS Gulf Coast, have Uverse and get the CW station from NOLA. My Mom was watching it last night. I know there's a more local CW affiliate that's not carried which is WBGP because it's operated and managed by Cable One.

I know I can get WNOL (the CW) from New Orleans, but I don’t watch that.  I am interested in having WGNO weather, especially during hurricane season.

WAT??!? You want something OTHER than The Weather Channel for hurricane season?!?!

Jeebus, that's all that TWC lives for!  So much so that because there was no hurricane season, they had to name the SNOWSTORMS this past winter.

How can you choose local stations' coverage over such a menagerie of "talent" at TWC?  I mean, where else could you get some real guffaws generated if Al Roker got all excited about an impending hurricane that he had a repeat of his White House visit (with a poopy-drawers incident), and of course Mr. Jim "I Go Where Disaster Looms and Can Body Check Too!" Cantore skidding across the pavement head first? Smiley Very Happy

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

"Do you know what modem you have that's blocking stuff? I'm on the coast too and can reach all the pages you mentioned not being able to. Glad I waited until the end of the thread to reply to see it was a modem causing your issues." - JadedPixie

My modem is an AT&T Gateway.  Installed by AT&T tech.

I don’t really understand what all she did to diagnose the problem.  She had me download and install something called Hot Spot.  I think this hid my IP address and then I could reach the AT&T web pages. 

But my google mail did not recognize me and while I was on the phone with her I had a window constantly popping up to tell me to enter my pass word for gmail and it was rejected. 

When we took the Hot Spot program off, my mail worked again and there were two email warnings that someone had tried to hack my gmail with my pass word.  It was me with a hidden IP address due to the Hot Spot program.

So I guess the problem is the IP address of my modem and some of the web pages at AT&T block my address for some reason.  

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

@vid30jk wrote:
WAT??!? You want something OTHER than The Weather Channel for hurricane season?!?!

Jeebus, that's all that TWC lives for!  So much so that because there was no hurricane season, they had to name the SNOWSTORMS this past winter.

How can you choose local stations' coverage over such a menagerie of "talent" at TWC?  I mean, where else could you get some real guffaws generated if Al Roker got all excited about an impending hurricane that he had a repeat of his White House visit (with a poopy-drawers incident), and of course Mr. Jim "I Go Where Disaster Looms and Can Body Check Too!" Cantore skidding across the pavement head first? Smiley Very Happy

vid30jk:
Pretty much you just described why I want WDSU weather. Smiley Wink

Edit:

Changed station from WGNO to WDSU.  WDSU (NBC) in New Orleans is the station that was just removed from AT&T Uverse. 

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

Pretty much you just described why I want WGNO weather.Smiley Wink

So you want WDSU (NBC) and WGNO (ABC) for weather? I miss all the NO stations that are/were available with carriers outside of Uverse and the ones that were available until the past couple of years. Just went into a contract for a yr though to get discounts so thinking too much is kind of a moot point for me right now. I didn't actually think we'd all end up in the position of there being 2 stations having control over all 4 affiliates leaving only 2 newscasts to watch. It's frustraiting when it's not something your used to.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

@JadedPixie wrote:

@mpw101 wrote:

So you want WDSU (NBC) and WGNO (ABC) for weather? I miss all the NO stations that are/were available with carriers outside of Uverse and the ones that were available until the past couple of years. Just went into a contract for a yr though to get discounts so thinking too much is kind of a moot point for me right now. I didn't actually think we'd all end up in the position of there being 2 stations having control over all 4 affiliates leaving only 2 newscasts to watch. It's frustraiting when it's not something your used to.

Actually I meant WDSU (NBC) New Orleans.  That is the channel we just lost.  But I agree I miss others from New Orleans and Mobile too.  Local channels really do not measure up to the channels in larger cities.  I don't care for the FOX/NBC and ABC/CBS arrangement either.  I never new one station could carry two national networks.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

@JadedPixie wrote:

@mpw101 wrote:

Actually I meant WDSU (NBC) New Orleans.  That is the channel we just lost.  But I agree I miss others from New Orleans and Mobile too.  Local channels really do not measure up to the channels in larger cities.  I don't care for the FOX/NBC and ABC/CBS arrangement either.  I never new one station could carry two national networks.

Yep, they call that multicasting and unfortunately, it's with us for the long term.   They consider it two (or more) stations on one transmitter.  I'lll talk about multicasting in the last paragraph.  

As far as New Orleans stations received on the MS Gulf Coast, I looked at Cable One's lineup for
Biloxi.  Yes they do carry duplicates of a few of the Networks.  BUT, what is to stop one or all of the local stations from playing hardball with CableOne or others and say "drop the out of market stations and I'll cut you a sweet deal on transmission rights."  Also, if I owned a local network station on the MS Gulf Coast, I'd be whining that I have no exclusivity.  So, U-Verse may be the bad guy here but it may happen to all.

Multicasting.  It may be more common if the FCC head has his way.  He wants to sell off more of the UHF spectrum, above channel RF 31.  In Indianapolis there are three stations that broadcast above 31.  That means they either have to combine with another broadcaster below 31, go dark on OTA or TRY to move and the RF space is already packed.  just because it's OTA does not necessarily mean "no issues" for TV providers, as multicasting's HD bandwidth is limited.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

Well a new modem was installed yesterday morning.  The tech who came could not believe I was blocked from some AT&T U-verse pages and could not believe changing the modem fixed it.  None of us understood why, but it worked.

Now if I could just get WDSU (NBC) in New Orleans back in the channel line up.  

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

8 years ago

WDSU is back for who knows how long on channel 4/1004 instead of 6/1006. I can't find any information on why it's back but I'm wondering if people complained to AT&T about the studdering issues and occasional total loss of signal WXXV NBC has been experiencing in the morning and afternoon hours? I posted on the WXXV Facebook page to ask if any other viewers were having studdering/loss of signal issues when watching and never got any notifications about any replies. When I went back a day later I saw that the post had been deleted. 

As has been mentioned in this thread WXXV airs FOX and NBC programming. The studdering and outage issues only seem to happen on their NBC feed though.

I bumped this thread even though it's old because it was about WDSU disappearing and WXXV not being up to snuff. I'm sure WDSU will disappear again soon though.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.