For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
vickiegerald1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 15th, 2018 11:58 PM

st louis cardinals baseball games

how can i get to watch st louis baseball games...i have fox sports mid west, but when the game time comes it says blacked out...cannot get a live person to talk to at att

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

622 Messages

6 years ago

You have to live in the St. Louis Cardinals' "designated area" to be able to watch Cardinals games on the regional sports networks.  The same rule applies to all baseball, NBA, and NHL teams.

Click here to bring up a website that will tell you which teams you can watch.  It does say DirecTV, but it applies to U-Verse as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

622 Messages

6 years ago

What is your ZIP Code?

Let me clarify how this works:
Every city in the USA is assigned one baseball, one NBA, and one NHL team.  (Some cities have two, if they're both local - for example, New York gets both the Mets and Yankees baseball teams, and Los Angeles gets both the Lakers and Clippers NBA teams as well as both the Kings and Ducks NHL teams.)  You are only allowed to watch the assigned teams on your cable system's "regional sports networks" (like Fox Sports Midwest).  The cable companies are required by the leagues to black out all other games on all of the other regional channels. 

It is not just you.  Where I live, I can watch Warriors NBA games on NBC Sports Bay Area, but cannot watch Kings games on NBC Sports California, even though Sacramento is only about 50 miles from where I live.  On the other hand, people who live about 20 miles north of me can watch the Kings, but not the Warriors.  None of us here can watch the Cardinals on Fox Sports Midwest, or the Yankees on YES, or the Dodgers, Angels, or Padres, even though they're in the same state.

It is also not just U-Verse; if you had Xfinity or Time Warner, the rules would apply to them as well.  The leagues do this on purpose so you would have to buy packages directly from them in order to watch non-local teams on non-national stations like ESPN.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

6 years ago

www.mlb.tv

Buy a Roku which is approximately $40. This will allow the above site to stream Cardinal games on your TV. You can then watch any Cardinal game which isn't on your local RSN, ESPN, Fox or FS1. (And actually, some may be on both MLB.tv and the national channel.)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

but it does not fix the problem.....i get fox sports mid west all day, clear as a bell, till the game comes on and then it says game blocked...we just want to see the game...we bought the right tier,had another something else added, then we got the station.....but not the game...look forward to hearing how to fix the problem..

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

6 years ago

At least you don't live where I live. According to MLB rules, I live within the Pittsburgh area, even though it's a three hr drive. If I wanted their channel, the only way to get it would be a satellite dish and the sports pack.

Unless the Pirates are playing another local team or are on a national channel, I'm hosed. Luckily, I'm not a Pirates fan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Fyi...In Oklahoma City I cannot get Fox Sports Midwest (Cardinals games) on u-verse U-300 package.  MLB.tv requires a pay subscription on Roku, so forget that.  I installed Fox Sports app for free on Roku.  Opened Fox Sports app on Roku, and after entering device code, I am now getting live Cardinals baseball on my tv.  There is probably a slight delay, since I noticed a delay with live tv on Roku with other live sports programs with Hulu live tv.   Anyway, live Cardinal baseball without another pay subscription.  It works the same way on my tablet or cell phone. Live Cardinal baseball thru Fox Sports Go on those handheld devices in Oklahoma.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Dakotay

You bring up a good point. In rare exceptions, someone in a team's TV market may be able to watch on the app when the TV channel is not available.

Columbus soccer fans in Dayton have to watch some games via the app, since the channel is based out of Cleveland. Oddly enough, Columbus is considered Pittsburgh Pirates market, but we in Columbus cannot get Pirates games.

There is a technical reason why all streaming internet video is delayed when compared to a live TV channel.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.