granny4's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 23rd, 2016 10:06 PM

hooking an extra tv up without a uverse box

I have 2 tvs hooked up to uverse boxes. I want to hook a third up for my granddaughter in her room. Can I connect a coaxil cord directly to her tv so she just gets basic cable. She doesn't need all those other channels. She's only 5.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@granny4 wrote:

I have 2 tvs hooked up to uverse boxes. I want to hook a third up for my granddaughter in her room. Can I connect a coaxil cord directly to her tv so she just gets basic cable. She doesn't need all those other channels. She's only 5.

Unfortunately, there is no NTSC or ATSC signal on the cables in a U-verse home; you cannot just hook up a TV and get "basic cable."  The U-verse Set Top TV Receivers listen for video data inside network packets and decode the signal and send it to your TV.

The most straightforward solution is to get an additional receiver for an additional monthly charge from AT&T.

Note that most traditional Cable companies are encrypting nearly all the channels these days as well; there's very little you can obtain on one of their cables without a receiver anymore.

You could try an antenna.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.