For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ECONORAM's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 1:34 AM

edges of display cut short?

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused as to why U-verse seems to cut off the outer 2 inches (roughly) from each side of the screen.  It does not matter if I have the resolution set to SD, "wide" SD, 720dpi or 1080dpi, each time it makes no difference.  The edges all seem to be cut short, and in their place is black, like a picture frame.  Yes, the TV can handle all of those display settings.  I've also changed the TV's format settings, and none of them seem to help the situation either.  I can change it to zoom, which gets rid of the black frame, but using the guide or menu requires changing from zoom or the channels cannot be read.  The u-verse guide looks correct regardless of display resolution.  Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the response.  As I stated before, all settings with the assistance of online support did not work when all members of my family (just to ensure I'm not going crazy) have noticed the same changes.  I have recently changed my plan to better suit my needs.  The tech experts from this site need to understand when several customers are complaining about the same resulting degradation in the display that it is not the customer and possibly something has changed, unless the online support is incorrect (which I doubt anyone would admit to).

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

If a problem is affecting "several customers" and not ALL customers either across-the-board (ie: change in policy) or in a large area (ie: outage), then there is something wonky on the customer's end, either a wiring problem, account issues or settings on the equipment and must be treated as such.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I downgraded my plan and now the sides are cut off as one poster describe Dash where the screen is cut off in the middle of the broadcast channel symbols. Also when it comes to football games, part of the running score on some channels is cut off. But anything we do on Netflix or Xbox is fine. I'll try out the HD - I don't think we get HD service - but I think it's really unscrupulous that the only thing that has changed between "one day my screen showing the full picture" and "the next day it doesn't" is that I downgraded my plan. You should get the full picture regardless.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

You need to configure both your TV and the Uverse box.  And just as each TV needs to be adjusted so does each Uverse box. 

Depending on the TV you're watching may have to adjust the Aspect Ratio using the TV settings (4:3 vs 16:9).   On the Uverse box(es) you need to check and see what the Screen Resolution setting is.  Also, the Zoom setting will affect how the picture looks on the TV.  There may be another Zoom setting on the TV.

So depending on whether you have HD or not, you need to check the following settings:

Aspect Ratio x 2...TV and UV box.  4:3 for SD -OR- 16:9 for HD

Screen Resolution x 2...TV and UV box. 480i for SD -OR- 720p or 1080i for HD

Zoom Setting x 2...TV and UV box.  Choose from Stretch/Zoom 1/Zoom 2/Zoom 3 on UV box.  TV options will depend on TV model.

HD content starts at channel 1001.  If you don't get any channels above 999, you don't have HD.  If you have channels starting at 1004, you do.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@Wigwam said:

Also when it comes to football games, part of the running score on some channels is cut off. But anything we do on Netflix or Xbox is fine. I'll try out the HD - I don't think we get HD service

While you can play with the aspect ratio, zoom, and resolution to stretch your SD picture to fill your screen, nothing you can do is going to stop scores and station bugs from being cropped by the stations themseleves that take their HD picture and transmit it as 4 x 3 SD.  You can't produce information that isn't there in the first place in the signal.  A lot of local stations do that (must be cheaper for them I suppose).  Some stations simply reduce 16 x 9 HD and show the full image as letterboxed with black bands on the top and bottom which again you also stretch and zoom if you don't like the black bands.  But at least on those cases all the HD information is still there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.