ECONORAM's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 1:34 AM

edges of display cut short?

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused as to why U-verse seems to cut off the outer 2 inches (roughly) from each side of the screen.  It does not matter if I have the resolution set to SD, "wide" SD, 720dpi or 1080dpi, each time it makes no difference.  The edges all seem to be cut short, and in their place is black, like a picture frame.  Yes, the TV can handle all of those display settings.  I've also changed the TV's format settings, and none of them seem to help the situation either.  I can change it to zoom, which gets rid of the black frame, but using the guide or menu requires changing from zoom or the channels cannot be read.  The u-verse guide looks correct regardless of display resolution.  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

Watching HD broadcasts will change your life.   Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@ECONORAM wrote:

No, I am not getting HD channels as part of my package.  Don't see the need for HD

Trust us when we say check out the HD feeds. You'll really enjoy what you see. Try it out for one month (I believe the first month is free) and see if you can tell the difference.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

This type of issue is infuriating. 

This is obviously an intentional decision by AT&T, that they mask as problem with tvs/hdmi cables/whatever else might stick. I had the same type of service with Comcast for 2 years, and then DirecTV for 2 years (same TV) and had no issues.  So it's hard for me to believe that all of the sudden, my hdmi cables or my tv are the reasons why the picture wont fit my screen.

The most frustrating part, is that instead of solving for the problem, AT&T decided to make the only solution be an upgrade to your current plan. 

AT&T:  Here's a tip - you should probably add a asterisk next to this plan on your website, that states something like "if you choose this plan, the periphery will be chopped off for all of your favorite shows."

I cant wait to go back to Comcast.

Thanks,

Brent

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Clink031384 wrote:

This ... is infuriating. 

I agree.  You just necro'ed a year-quiet thread to post a rant.  It looks like that you didn't even read through the whole tread.  If you're having an issue, describe exactly what your issue looks like, whether you're using SD or HD channels, and how your TV is connected (cable, settings).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

What tread are you referring to? And yes, this is a rant. Because these werent issues I faced with Comcast or DirecTV.  In my 4 years with Comcast and DirecTV, I required 2 total service calls - I've had AT&T for 3 months and I have already had 4. 

As far as I'm concerned, every channel being cropped is just icing on the cake; but using it to try and upsell my current plan is what makes me angry. 

You're right, though, instead of replying to a year-old post, I should've waded thru the 1000 more recent posts that are returned when I search for cropped display...

So A.C.E.,

Does AT&T have a "rant board" where I can post this type of information?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Ya know, I've been kinda wondering about that myself, if there is a "ranting" forum. True, folks rant anyways, and sometimes, no matter how much you want to try and help them, all they care about is venting their anger.

Whatever you deceide is ultimatly up to you, BUT, I have seen folks with issues get them resolved thru here.

Still, if picture cropping is the only problem you are having, you lead a charmed life. Good for you.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Clink031384 wrote:

What tread are you referring to? And yes, this is a rant. Because these werent issues I faced with Comcast or DirecTV.  In my 4 years with Comcast and DirecTV, I required 2 total service calls - I've had AT&T for 3 months and I have already had 4. 

As far as I'm concerned, every channel being cropped is just icing on the cake; but using it to try and upsell my current plan is what makes me angry. 

You're right, though, instead of replying to a year-old post, I should've waded thru the 1000 more recent posts that are returned when I search for cropped display...

So A.C.E.,

Does AT&T have a "rant board" where I can post this type of information?

If posting a rant, just create a new thread.   Then you can feel better.  And no one assumes that you have the problems described in that thread because they cannot tell without any detail.

OTOH, if you'd actually like some help about the edges of your programs being cut off, you can provide additional details like:

1. Type of connection between TV Receiver and TV (coax, component, HDMI)
  2. Channels involved (SD, HD, both)
  3. Menus and programs, or just menus
  4. All sides or just top/bottom and left/right
  5. Aspect Ratio setting on the TV Receiver
  6. Zoom setting on the TV Receiver
  7. Zoom setting on the TV.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

There is a way to fix this but can't remember what it is. My tv died yesterday so I pulled the one from the garage and I can't remember what I did to fix the menu issue. What ever it was the brand of tv didn't matter. I've been playing with settings for about an hour now and menu is still cropped. If I remember correct there were different options on the menu the last time I fixed it. I don't have the HD channels but still ran some in 720. Anyone remember the settings ? And there is no HDMI plug on the back of this box.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am having the same issue.  When I had U-verse installed several years ago, the display was filled (no black margins) without any issues.  Also the GUIDE filled the screen and wasn't cropped. For the past few months I noticed most of the channels now have black margins on the top, bottom, left and right that were not there before.  Changing the aspect and viewing resolution does not correct the problem (crops either the guide or some of the picture).  I "chatted" with an AT&T rep online and after going through the usual power resets associated with the receiver (which did not fix any of these issues), I finally "chatted" with another rep named Stanley G. which stated I had to upgrade to the HD-tier in order to fill my screen like before.  It would only cost an additional $10 a month with an offer to provide the first month free.  I find this somewhat unethical as AT&T should have forewarned their customers prior to this happening.  Even if the signals that were received by AT&T have changed that created this issue, if AT&T had wanted to provide good customer service and not frustrate their clients they would have notified all users of these changes.  I'm now in the process of either lowering my U-verse plan or removing it (most of the channels are provided through SmartTVs these days or the internet). 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Att's treatment of HD has never changed.  Your perception however apparently has.  You always had to pay extra for HD.  While I don't agree with this policy (we don't pay extra for color but I shouldn't give them ideas) HD broadcasts on SD channels will always be letterboxed.  It's the best you can do taking a 16x9 aspect HD ratio to view in as 4x3 SD (or many stations just cut off the left and right).

You can locally play around with the zoom settings on both the receiver and the tv to stretch it to suit your taste.  For the att remote press the enter/zoom button on the silver/S10 remotes or the Options button on the S20/S30 remotes.  These bring up an Option menu on the right size of the screen which contains the zoom control.  You tv has its own zoom control. That's up to you to figure out (read its user manual if necessary).  Some combination of these zooms may give you something you can live with.  Otherwise, it is what it is, $10 extra for the HD.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.