phoner2's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, August 21st, 2018 6:10 AM

dvr not recording when sleeping

With this new sleep mode i’ve noticed a few problems, if a scheduled recording comes up while sleeping it cuts off first bit before starting to record and occasionally misses a recording, I have to wake the dvr box up and wait for it to boot to watch from another stb or use pause. This is annoying how can sleep be turned off?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

What new sleep mode are you referring to?  There is nothing new in these dvrs.  Schedule your recordings.  Turn the dvr off (push power button on the remote, oval light goes out on the receiver/dvr, and you go into sleep your own sleep mode Man Wink.  On or "off" the dvr will record at it's scheduled time if you programmed (scheduled) it correctly.

Recordings have soft padding, i.e., they will start to record 1 minute before the scheduled time and 2 minutes after the scheduled end.

I have to wake the dvr box up and wait for it to boot

Wait for it to boot?  Just how are you "sleeping" the dvr?  Pulling its power plug?  Because powering up after that is the only time it normally needs to reboot.  Don't do that.  Always leave it plugged in.  Power it "off" the way I described above.  If you programmed the uverse remote correctly the remotes power button will control both the dvr's on/off as well as the tv's.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

Think I found the issue, was an HDMI switchbox, it seems when the DVR box is turned off when connected to this particular HDMI switcher, it would lock the box up, and it would just sit there on but unresponsive until you pressed the power button and it would boot back up and continue recording again.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I know what you mean that's how it used to work up till recently, there are many references to the DVR going to sleep in forums, I was assuming it was a new feature of software update, this behavior only started about a month ago. Thought it was hardware issue at first but I've hard reset the DVR as well as had it swapped by support and it does the same thing.

When I turn the DVR on after it's been off a few hours I see the ATT logo for about a minute as it boots, then it finally becomes usable. I don't get it, so this isn't a new feature?
So if it's not supposed to do this what else can I do I've replace the DVR, did factory reset, have other things plugged into the outlet they're all getting power.  Could the RG have any effect?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

The "DVR going to sleep" is just the Energy Star requirement of the dvr or receiver of putting up the screen saver after 8 (or is it 4?) hours when there is no interaction with it and it wasn't powered off.  That still shouldn't affect scheduled recordings but I never tested that out.   Nothing has changed in the uverse dvr/receivers for almost 2 years (just did another post on that too).

When you turn the dvr or receiver on it is not "booting".  It only actually boots if you pull the power cord (or press the power button for about 7 seconds).  If the tv is on and the dvr/receive is off you will see the dvr's screen saver.  Pressing the OK butt wakes the dvr/receiver up usually on the last channel you were watching when you last shut it off.

Based on your problem description I cannot further diagnose this.  Either you don't understand how to operate the dvr, or we have a terminology problem and a failure to communicate, or you really do have a defective dvr.  All I can suggest at this point is call tech support (800-288-2020).

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

6 years ago

My VIP2250 has 84 series programs total. None of the series programs recorded starting Monday A.M. The series triple red dots don't appear next to each program in the guide either. However a program can still be recorded manually & current recordings play OK. I called Cust Svc & they are sending a new DVR. That means I lose a lot of old recordings. Has there been a software update with the guide that's not communicating with the DVR? Prior to Monday, everything recorded perfectly for the last 3 years.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I've used u-verse for the last 8 years and never had a problem like this till now, I definitely know how it works. Smiley Happy

So it sounds like NO this is not a new feature and is NO it is not working as designed, thank you I just need to verify this, I will continue with support and probably have this stb replaced as well.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Ok, if you tried the usual troubleshooting (which in this case means actually rebooting the dvr by pulling the power plug for about 15 secs.) then maybe it is defective so call tech support (800-288-2020) for a replacement dvr.  Be aware that you will lose all your recordings but not your scheduling.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

6 years ago

That's good that I won't have to set all those programs again. I don't want to lose a few saved recordings but that's the way it goes. Yes I did all the normal re-boots of DVR, Receiver, & even the modem although I knew that would do it but Cust service asked me to do it. I suspected there may be a problem with the guide but so far the system info report shows the guide has updated a couple times today already & still no scheduled recordings are showing up except for a few on Saturday 8/25 !  That's weird - one day's worth of recordings show but no others.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Think I found the issue, was an HDMI switchbox

I wish you had mentioned that "little" detail in you connection setup earlier. Man Frustrated

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

Yea just never even suspected it, forgot it was even on there since the thing worked just fine far as picture and switching. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.