Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Mentor

Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Message 1 of 226
Contributor

Re: Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Same problems with our wireless receIvers for the last 4 days! Both failed at the same time and give the same error message: "AT&T is not available at this time. Please try again later." AT&T please help! I've tried rebooting the receIvers, powering the entire modem on and off, moving the wireless receivers closer to the WAP...and nothing has worked. Lo and behold, I read about the Cisco WAPs causing problems and voila! I check ours and it is indeed a Cisco WAP! Will AT&T please send me a new WAP? HELP!!!!
Message 181 of 226
Tutor

Unplug the WAP, router and then MAIN dvr in that order. Wait about 10 seconds and plug the devices in reverse order. Wait till you get wifi connection on your cell phone or other device. Once achieved, click the OK/enter button on the DVR box that is failing and you should get a connection success message. It sucks but this is the only method I find to work.
Message 182 of 226
Contributor

This is not working,and two people have try it.  Please send a repairman to my house.

Address is 19398 Hathaway Ln. Warrensville Hts. Ohio.  Thank you.

Message 183 of 226
Contributor

I'm having the same issue but have the Motorola WAP. We have done EVERYTHING and it still drops connection. Multiple techs out to my home and no one knows anything. Very close to canceling service. We didn't have this issue with Comcast. 

Message 184 of 226
Community Support

Hi @brightbrandon,

Do you notice the same issue when you disconnect the DVR? Also, how far away is the WAP from the wireless receiver?

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 185 of 226
Contributor

How many fricken upgrades does your system need to do. It happens 3 to 4 times a week, and right in the middle of watching tv. Last night, it went down for 45 minutes during the debates. It kept making me restart the boxes over and over again. Do you know if Charter Spectrum has wireless recievers, and if so, how much is their monthly cable and internet bundles? I am ready to break my contract and move on!!!

Message 186 of 226
ACE - Expert

@Icewolfdw, I doubt this is due to software updates in your case.

1) Do you have any wired Receivers?  Do they have these issues?

2) Is your Receiver WAP close to (i.e. within 6 feet of) the U-verse Gateway or other Wi-Fi Router?  If so, try moving it at least 6 feet away from it so they don't interfere with each other.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 187 of 226
Contributor

It lost signal briefly, and decided to upgrade without advance notice. It kept making me restart the recievers. It happened right in the middle of the debates. This has happened before in the middle of an NFL football game a few weeks ago. I was looking at hosting some football game get togethers, but due to the lack of reliability of AT&T Uverse, I will get Charter Spectrum first. I am hoping they have wireless recievers. 
Message 188 of 226
Contributor

After it says connectionn a success it goes to wait and then it goes back to no signal and then it goes back to AT&T U-Verse restart receiver.
Message 189 of 226
Contributor

I'm having issues while watching DVR'ed programs using my wireless receiver. This morning alone I got an error message 5 times about a network problem occurring. I noticed intermittently when this happens, the green signal bars will disappear and then reappear. Very frustrating to deal with.
Message 190 of 226
Tutor

I too have previously posted the very same issue with my Cisco AP having issues keeping my living room wireless receiver connected. Tech came out and replaced the Cisco AP with a Motorola AP. Seemed to do better for a few days but I am right back where I started. Any suggestions? Getting several dropped connections in an hour some nights. What seems strange though is when the picture freezes, I can change the channel quickly and change it back and it doesn't disconnect. You would think with as many posts as there are about this problem it would be addressed by now.
Message 191 of 226
Contributor

Have this issue almost every night. If it's not this, then I'll get and HDMI error. Very frustrating.
Message 192 of 226
Tutor

Make them replace the gear.
Message 193 of 226
Tutor

I took care of the situation myself....I hardwired the wireless receiver.
No more disconnect. A few dollars worth of CAT-5 did the trick.
Message 194 of 226
Tutor

Re: Ok. I have a Cisco Wireless receiver and I assume a Cisco...

All this troubleshooting is worthless, when you have the disconnect issue......it stays. I had every piece of Uverse equipment replaced twice, the modem and WAP, 3 times and still had multiple disconnects on the same Wireless Reciever (I have one that has continued to work flawlessly) everyday and night with at least 4 Technicians visits to my home to fix it. Finally after living with this issue for 8 months or so (issue started after almost 6 years of perfect service) I ran CAT-5 to the Wireless Reciever (Hardwired) and my issue is resolved. No more Wireless problems on that box.What I still have not figured out is when the disconnection would happen, the screen would freeze. As soon as that happened if you changed the channel up or down and back to the channel you were on the issue would resolve and you would not see a disconnect screen, (gray screen with numbers instructing how to reconnect) it would go back to what you were viewing and continue. Have really considered going to Charter as my provider, 60mbps internet vs. the 18mbps that is available in my area is tempting but Charter's Menus are about as Mickey Mouse as you can get. My In-Laws have Charter and they have not updated their menus (UI) in at least 10 years. I'm staying for now.......

Message 195 of 226
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support