Helpful Links

Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Teacher

Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Message 1 of 209
Highlighted
Community Support

Re: Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Hi @Dank20 ,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your wireless receiver, but I will be glad to help. With a direct line of sight, the receiver should be able to easily go 20 feet. My receiver is about 20 feet away, but it has to go through 1 wall, and I have no issues. If you are noticing that the wireless bars on the receiver are below 3, then it may be an issue with the distance. Otherwise, there may be something that is causing interference or an issue with the equipment. Try rebooting the WAP and the wireless receiver by unplugging the power, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back. Make sure there are no other devices around that can cause issues with the wireless signal.

-David T

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 106 of 209
Contributor

I too am having the same problem with the Cisco WAP.  I have two wireless receivers and three wired.  Obviously, the wired are fine.  Need some help AT&T!  Please respond.

Message 107 of 209
Community Support

Hi @my2sons8791,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your wireless receivers, but I will be glad to help. Make sure the WAP is not sitting next to anything that could cause interference. Also, try disconnecting your DVR to see if you are still having problems. If so, try rebooting the DVR and U-verse router.

I will also send you a private message to gather more information.

-David T

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 108 of 209
Community Support

Quick Fix For The Wireless ReceiverModem&Receiver.png

In most instances, resetting the modem, DVR, and wireless box, in that order,  can resolve some connection issues.

To reset the modem, press and hold the red reset button in the rear for 10 seconds. On the DVR and wireless receiver, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.  

If that does not help, the steps below may.

Check Your Connections

Ensure all cables and cords are connected properly and securely. Test with a different Ethernet cable if having connection problems.

1. Connecting the Wireless Access Point
    Set_Up_WTR_New_2_Numbers.jpg
  2. Connecting the Wireless Receiver
    Set_Up_WTR_New_588.jpg

Check Power and Signal Strength  

1. Confirm you have power. If you have power and the TV Receiver is turned on, the Power button on the front of the receiver will have a green light surrounding it. If you do not have power, move the TV Receiver to a working electrical outlet.
  2. If no lights are on, ensure that the TV Receiver is turned on by pressing and releasing the AT&T button on the remote control, and then pressing and holding the POWER button on the receiver for 10 seconds.
  3. Power cycle the Wireless Access Point (WAP) by unplugging the WAP from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. Wait two minutes for the Wireless Receiver to start up.
  4. There should be at least 3 wireless bars on your Wireless Receiver to maintain a good signal. Move the receiver closer to the WAP or vice-versa (to determine if the problem is a distance issue).
    Wireless Signal Strength.png

Check For Interference  

1. Make sure there are no devices around the Wireless Access Point or Wireless Receiver that can cause interference, such as cordless phones, baby monitors, etc...
  2. Make sure the Wireless Access Point and Wireless Receiver are not in an enclosed area.

Disconnect The DVR 

1. All the receivers in the house have to pair with the DVR through for DVR content. If the DVR is having issues, it will cause issues to the other receivers.
  2. Unplug the DVR and keep it disconnected. Reboot the U-verse Gateway and Wireless Receiver.
  3. If the issues clear up, try connecting the DVR back to see if rebooting the DVR helped resolve the issue. 

See A Red Antenna On The TV Screen? 

1. Disconnect your Wireless TV Receiver from the original location and reconnect the power cord at a location closer to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) 
  2. Wait one minute for the receiver software to load.
  3. Press the OK button on the front of the Wireless TV Receiver and press the WPS button on the WAP.
  4. Wait two minutes for the receiver and WAP to pair.
  5. After two minutes, the Link light on the front of the Wireless TV Receiver should be solid green.
  6. Following a successful pairing, unplug the Wireless TV Receiver and reconnect it at the desired location.

If the previous steps have been exhausted and the TV receiver continues to malfunction please send a private message with your account number and contact details to ATTU-verseCare for further assistance. If you are not a member of the U-verse community forums, we welcome you to register and reach out to us.

Employee Contributor*
Message 109 of 209
Contributor

I have a much similar problem with all of our TV's and computer! this is the second time I have had to write this post. I spent 30 minutes explaining our problems on this thread and LOST MY POST DUE TO INTERRUPTION IN SERVICE. Our TVs do the "lost connection" blue screen and we have to change the channel to change the channel back to what we were watching originally! We also get interruptions due to rain in our area, as well as minor interruptions during the rest of the our TV watching hours. We have had at least 8 service techs come out to troubleshoot (both inside and outside). The last outside tech said we were too far from the main box for our subdivision. Approx 1-1/2 miles. I believe this is two separate problems though.
Message 110 of 209
Community Support

Hi @idputters,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse services, but I will be glad to help. Since your internet connection is going down also, it does sound like there is an issue with the signal coming to your house. I will be sending you a private message to assist with this issue further.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 111 of 209
Contributor

I have similar issues to those described. The wireless connection to tv in bedroom stopped working. I have repeatedly done the above steps and always get: access point not found or connection error. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Message 112 of 209
Contributor

Having the same issue as everyone else. We have had a service person out to the house and he did the power cycle of all the equipment and replaced the remote for some reason. After 2 days the problem returned and occurs at least once a day. We have an CISCO acces point. Today we called back to get this resolved and they said they would charge us $140 to come out again. This is unacceptable on so many levels. The entire reason we went with this wireless cable is because the service guy didn't want to run the cable and now you guys want to charge us to do the right thing and fix the problem. Please help us fix this really annoying problem.

Message 113 of 209
Mentor

Ok. I have a Cisco Wireless receiver and I assume a Cisco...

Ok. I have a Cisco Wireless receiver and I assume a Cisco WAP. I can watch TV just fine on the wireless, but DVR hangs, then plays 5 seconds, then hangs. It's unwatchable. The TV is upstairs directly above the router/WAP. The wireless router was put in so the installation would be easier...I didn't request it. However, if I can't watch DVR upstairs, I don't wanna pay for the extra receiver per month. Please advise. (We've done all the steps...still won't work.)
Message 114 of 209
Community Support

Re: Ok. I have a Cisco Wireless receiver and I assume a Cisco...

Hi @bigdog5142,

We will be happy to look into this for you and get this issue fixed.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 115 of 209
Contributor

We were having problems with the coax. The technician came and swore the wireless wouled solve all the problems

Message 116 of 209
Explorer

Three out of the last four nights, right around 10pm, our wireless boxes have lost connection, often saying something about not knowing which WAP to connect to (we only have one). When we power cycle the router and WAP, it comes back. Now today it's been going out all day, forcing us to power cycle the router and WAP several times already.

We had problems in the past, but things have been working great for a few months. Why is this suddenly becoming a persistent problem now?

Message 117 of 209
Community Support

Hi @TheWheelMan,

I am sorry about all the issues you are having. It sounds like there may be an issue with the WAP communicating with the devices. Try doing a full factory reset on the U-verse gateway by logging into the router at http://192.168.1.254 and going to the diagnostics page and doing a reset. If still having issues, it may be something wrong with the equipment, and we can definitely help get that fixed.

Thank you,

David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 118 of 209
Explorer

I logged into the WAP yesterday and changed the channel, as I saw suggested in another post in this thread. So far, the problem hasn't resurfaced since. I this happens again, I will try your latest suggestion, and then proceed from there as warranted.

Thank you!

Message 119 of 209
Community Support

Hi,

I am glad everything is working great now. If you do run into any issues, feel free to reach out to us for help.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 120 of 209
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

Do you need to contact us? Chat with us!

Additional Support