Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Teacher

Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Message 1 of 191 (193,645 Views)
Contributor

Re: Wireless receiver loses connection to access point

I am having the same issue. My wireless receiver will connect and within a few minutes it disconnects and starts the connect process over again. It has only been happening for two days. 

Message 76 of 191 (26,370 Views)
Voyager

I've checked everything suggested and everything looks good.  It is getting annoying to have to reset the receiver at least once a day to just watch TV.  Please help.  Thanks

Message 77 of 191 (26,353 Views)
Community Support

Hi jmacam45,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your wireless receivers, and thank you for trying all the steps that my thoughts suggested. I will be happy to help and will have my team send you a private message to look into this further.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 78 of 191 (26,337 Views)
Highlighted
Community Support

Hi Murray0705,

I apologize for the issues you are having with the wireless receiver. I would be happy to help and will have my team send you a private message to discuss this further.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 79 of 191 (26,338 Views)
Voyager

I seem to be encountering a similar issue to the one posted in this thread.  I have 2 wireless receivers in my home.  Sometime this week both began dropping their signal.  I've tried a hard reset on all of my devices - DVR, gateway, cisco wap, and both wireless receivers.  When the wireless receivers reboot they establish an intitial connection and I get TV for approximately 15 seconds before the signal is dropped and the receivers start to reboot.  Whatever the issues is, it does not appear to affect other devices connected to WiFi (i.e tablets, smartphones, BluRay).  It also has not affected service on our primary DVR-receiver.

Any tips or suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Message 80 of 191 (26,156 Views)
Employee

There is similar to other posts around Christmas, bad DVR receivers.
To determine, unplug wifi receivers, and DVR. Only plug in wifi receivers, if boots properly and plays for 10 to 15 minutes.
Plug in DVR, after booting see if wireless receivers can play recording, if back to rebooting, issue is DVR.

Some report success with unplug DVR, plug, three dots, repeat three times, get single gear, loads new software give 15 minutes.....others state need to either factory reset DVR losing recordings or replace DVR losing recordings.

Also seem to recall somewhat similar issue with wireless receivers on inid (3812) installs with software update around labor day 2013, issue was inid upgraded but indoor unit (i38hg) was not, requires replacement of inid with 589 RG to resolve.

Please post if resolved or continued problem, thanks.
Employee Contributor*
Message 81 of 191 (26,152 Views)
Contributor

I am having this problem with 2 of my 4 wireless receivers.  I have the Cisco WAP.

I have changed the control channel to 36 on the WAP and the problem is still occuring.

Any other suggestions?

Message 82 of 191 (26,132 Views)
Employee

Are you sure you have 4 wireless receivers?
The system is only designed to support 2 wireless receivers.
System restrictions are maximum 8 receivers, of which only 1 can be DVR, only 2 wireless receivers the remaining up to 5 receivers must be hardwired either on coax, or Ethernet.

So could you have 4 wireless receivers, yes, only two active as wireless, the other two would be Ethernet cabled to RG.

If your in a test market for higher number (possible?) would have no information to offer advice/support.
Employee Contributor*
Message 83 of 191 (26,128 Views)
Voyager

Thanks for the reply.  The issue does appear to be with the DVR.  I unplugged it and was able to operate the both of my wireless receivers without any problems.  When I restored power to the DVR the wireless receivers lost signal within 2-3 minutes.  I've not yet attempted a factory reset on the DVR.  Will post again with result when I do.

Message 84 of 191 (26,118 Views)
Contributor

I am having the same issue. Wireless connection cuts out every 5-10 minutes when watching DVR. Sometimes it only takes about 1-2 minutes. This is unbearable. Please assist me!

Message 85 of 191 (26,089 Views)
Community Support

Hi davidgbayard,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you on this issue.

-David T

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out here in the Forums by sending us a Private Message or checking out our Chat Support.

Employee Contributor*
Message 86 of 191 (26,068 Views)
Contributor

Hi, I am having the same issue as the original poster where my wireless box loses conection to the modem and the only way to reset it is unplug the modem and WAP.  Given that all of these things are in a network connection box it is not ideal.  Can an AT&T employee please let me know what I need to do to remedy this?

Message 87 of 191 (25,925 Views)
Community Support

Hi @dragonheart5,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having, but I will be glad to help. Since you have to constantly keep rebooting the modem, there may be an issue with the WAP communicating with the modem. Make sure the WAP is connected directly to the modem and not through another router. Also, if you have any 3rd party devices connected to your modem, disconnect it see if you still are running into the same problems.

Also, it may be an issue with defective equipment. I will be happy to assist with that and will have my team send you a private message.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 88 of 191 (25,896 Views)
Contributor

Can someone from Att help me as well? Same issue it keeps losing connection and my actual DVR'd shows are having freezes/skips in it

didnt have this issue when I didn't have a wireless receiver 

Message 89 of 191 (25,676 Views)
Community Support

Hi @Prkelley1983,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your wireless receiver, but I will be glad to help. Our team will send you a private message to gather more information and work with you to getting this issue resolved.

-David T

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out here in the Forums by sending us a Private Message or checking out our Chat Support.

Employee Contributor*
Message 90 of 191 (25,658 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.