For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi trigger8,

I have received your message and look forward to working with you to get this resolved.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having this problem with freezing. We have tried resetting devices, wap hard reset, different channels. No luck. One wireless receiver within 20 feet of wap. Please help!!! My wife is going crazy over this. Thanks.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Elakedrive,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your wireless STBs, and I will be glad to help. I will have my team send you a private message to discuss this further.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We have had U-verse for three months, and we never had problems with this, until...

Two days ago, a technician came out to resolve wi-fi internet issues.  The resolution was to relocate the modem/wireless router to a separate room from the main DVR.  With wires going directly from the main service box to both the modem AND the main DVR, we achieved the desired result: better internet service to the primary desktop computer.

However, we are now experiencing a constant loss of connection between the satellite tv boxes and their wireless access point, which is located next to the main DVR, connected through a switch.  The main DVR does not lose its connection, but the pairing of the access point cuts out constantly.  As previouly mentioned, this was NEVER a problem before the service to repair the wi-fi internet connection issue.

I have not attempted any fixes beyond power cycling and re-pairing the devices, nor have I read through this entire thread.  Perhaps some direct assistance could help.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi cavie2197,

I am so sorry about the inconveniences, but I will be glad to help. It sounds like moving the U-verse gateway may have put it in a place where the wireless signal to the wireless receivers have been degraded, whether it be by distance or additional EMI. I will have my team send you a private message to gather more information.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the same problem. I've had uverse for almost one year no issues until this week. My two wireless receivers lose connection and I have to reset Cisco WAP. Lasts about 24 hours then all over again. Three wired receivers all work fine. I haven't moved anything. All as it has been. I need to get this fixed. Please advise. Thank you. 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi JohnMelHunt,

I apologize about the issues you are now having with your wireless receivers, but I will be glad to help. One thing to try is rebooting all the equipment starting with the U-verse gateway, then the WAP, and then the wireless receivers. Also, I will have my team send you a private message, so you have a direct point of contact just in case we need to replace your WAP.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi DavidCS,
I had uverse since October at my apartment. No ptoblem at all 🙂 I moved this weekend and of course my uverse moved with me. At first, all was fine. Now my 2 upstairs bathroom cannot connect to my motorola access point. My wifi signal is weak. It is just horrible. My downstairs wireless receiver (which is next to the acccess point and modem) goes in and out. What should I do? I am kind of fed up right now.

Thanks,
Mike n Marla

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

As I've said before in other threads the issue is often WiFi technology itself, not AT&T equipment or anyone else's equipment. I know... I suffered with less than reliable WiFi performance for a solid year and did everything humanly possible to fix it, with varying degrees of success.

First off what exactly does the term WiFi mean?

The term WiFi is actually a trademarked term meaning IEEE 802.11x  created by the Wi-Fi Alliance, the organization that owns the Wi-Fi (registered trademark) term specifically defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network (WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' (IEEE) 802.11 standards."

Wow, that was a mouthful.

Wi-Fi works with no physical wired connection between sender and receiver by using radio frequency (RF) technology.  When some RF current is supplied to an antenna, an electromagnetic field is created that then is able to propagate through space and pass through objects like walls even if made of brick or concrete, but with varying success. 

The principle is simple enough, the access point, your AT&T supplied Gateway (router) (AP). broadcasts a wireless RADIO signal that WiFi devices can detect and "tune" into with some wireless network adapters. Today such adapters are built into many things like cell phones, "smart TV's", some laptops and other electronic devices.

OK, now you know how it works, so time to learn what can go wrong. If you're old enough like me, you probably remember when if you had an old black and white TV and on top of it had some rabbit ear antenna where you played with it now and then to get a better picture.

Same with any WiFi receiver. Just moving it a bit, sometimes as little as a few inches can if you are lucky make your problems go away, because moving the receiver might give it a better position to pick up the radio signals being broadcast from your AP device.

Here's a tip. If you have a wireless phone that's WiFi capable, grab a copy of WiFi Analyzier, install on your phone, (remember you need to have your cell first see the AP device meaning you'll need to type in the Gateway name/password or whatever is required first) to have your phone become part of your WiFi network. Then you can walk around your home or apartment using WiFi Analyzier (or something similar) which works a little like a geiger counter, the needle going further into the green and the beeps getting closer to together as you find "sweet" sports, where if you can, you'll move you AT&T WiFi received to.

If lucky, doing this simple step will fix your problems. I'm not lucky and it didn't help me. So what else can go wrong? Interference.

Two types. The first is something that physically is blocking some of the broadcast signal. Why your WiFi device works sometimes, and don't others. If you live in an area where a lot of your neighbors also are using WiFi, the signals can intefer with one another. WiFi is broadcast over a set of channels and they bleed into ajoining channels which if somebody else's AP is close enough can be an issue. Your AT&T Gateway (router) is probably set to auto which means it picks which channel to broadcast on. You can change that and pick a channel.

How depends on which Gateway you have, so you'll need to read your device's manual, which you'll find as a PDF file you can download from the web.

Just Google, like here. I have a 2wire 3801 HGV http://hackingbtbusinesshub.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/3801hgv_user_guide_rev-1-0.pdf

Still having problems after trying different channels? Then the interference might be something in line of sight between your Gateway and the wireless receiver giving you troubles. Plumbing, electrical, heating ducts, even big metal objects like your refregiator or stove can block enough of the broadcast radio signal to make things spotty at best. What my issue was.

For me, WiFi works fine... if upstairs. My conclusion why is because the radio signals from the AP easily pass through the floor. They didn't downstairs where my big screen TV and gateway next to it are, because my PC is in the den which the AP broadcast to in order to have Internet on my PC, the  line of sight path runs into a bathroom plumbing, heating ducts and a big refregiator.

So what now?  If possible, I know if you live in an aparment you probably can't, but if a home have AT&T (or do it yourself) run a Ethernet line from Gateway to whatever device wasn't working.

As an alternative to that somewhat drastic step you might try one of the newer use your home's electrical wiring solutions where you get 2 devices, one plugs into of your Gateway's Ethernet port, the other to your device, both plug into a nearby electrical outlet, bang, you use your house or apartment's already exisitng electrial wiring to create your network. I've asked if anyone's tried this in other thread, if somebody responded I missed it.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I've been losing connection on the 2 wireless receivers I have every night. Even one of the receivers is setup right next to the Cisco WAP and still loses signal. I'm getting pretty tired of going thru the resetting process. I've also tried changing the channel thru the U-verse gateway IP, but they're still losing signal. I've read other customers have received the Motoral WAP and they have no problem after switching. Can you please help? Thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.