For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mpd3253 - STB is set top box (aka receiver). If they were wired before, you can reuse the wires.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
mpd3253 - STB is set top box (aka receiver). If they were wired before, you can reuse the wires.

If they were wired before using Cat5e.  They don't support a Coax connection.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

It was coax. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mpd3253 - I should have said - If STBs were wired before, why did you switch to wireless? I suppose if you were having problems with the COAX, you do not want to switch back. Going back to COAX would certainly require a complete understanding of what you have.

Jeffer - I did not mean that those STBs were wired rather, wires were in place that could be used. Also, it was my understanding that the wireless STBs have both COAX and network connections & will boot to the first signal that they see.
If that is incorrect I need to know. Also, I had never seen that one application would preclude the other in the future.

Back to the original problem - It does sound like the WAP is in a bad place & you need to experiment with a better location. If you want to try the COAX & there is a COAX connection on the wireless STB, you will need to describe the current COAX wiring. Or, you can pull cat5, either new or via the existing COAX.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

We were having problems with the coax. The technician came and swore the wireless wouled solve all the problems.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

Jeffer - I did not mean that those STBs were wired rather, wires were in place that could be used. Also, it was my understanding that the wireless STBs have both COAX and network connections & will boot to the first signal that they see.
If that is incorrect I need to know. Also, I had never seen that one application would preclude the other in the future.

As shown in this manual (http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/IPN7005_Product_Manual_7_21_11_Final.pdf) the only coax connector on the box is broadband video out.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

JefferMC =OK - Thanks - I will remember that - cat5 only for wiring a wireless box.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

So the best solution is to move the WAP around? It has to stay plugged into the router does it not? It appears from other posts that the WAP is the problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I have always seen full signal on the receiver. I'll try moving the WAP.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hello mpd3253,

I will be glad to help you restore connectivity to your Wireless Receivers. Since the WAP for your Set Top Boxes (STB) is downstairs and the Set Top Boxes are  upstairs there may be a very weak signal reaching them. Based on the construction of your home the wireless signal may not be strong enough to reach those receivers. I recommend relocating the WAP like ACE - Master aviewer suggested by using a longer Ethernet cable to the gateway if possible, and choosing a different area of your home. Try placing the WAP in a high location like the top shelf of a cabinet or other furniture. I sent you a private message in case the WAP is defective or we need to coordinate the installation of Wired Receivers instead.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.