lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hello cindyh5161,

I'm sorry you are experiencing the same issue with your Wireless Access Point for your receiver. I can help you determine if it needs to be replaced. I have sent you a private message to gather specific details and assist you further.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Jarange,

I can also help you resolve the issues you are experiencing. I apologize about your service interruptions and would need to do further testing to identify what is causing the wireless interference in your home. It is possible you have a defective WAP for your receivers but if the wireless interruptions are also noticed when connected to your iPad I would like to find if there is another source for these interruptions. I have also sent you a private message to assist you further.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hello. I am having this exact problem.  Both of my wireless receivers lose the Cisco WAP signal.  The WAP is about 20 feet from the main TV box

After spending an hour on the phone with the AT&T rep and going through the endless checklist of posible causes, AT&T finally sent a tech out to our house (which I had to take off work to meet).  The tech was befuddled and finally replaced the WAP with another Cisco WAP.  The problem continues to this day, and it's driving my family crazy.  Since finding this discussion chain, I tried changing the control channel.  Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed the problem.

Please help. 

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hello admiral1869,

I'm sorry you are having issues with your Wireless Receivers. I don't know your specific setup but it seems like the WAP may need to be relocated. Usually a Standard Ethernet cable is used to connect the WAP to the Residential Gateway which leaves the device in close proximity to other electronic components that could be causing major interference on the WAP. By using a longer Ethernet cable and getting the WAP further away from these possible interferers, it may improve the connection between the Wireless Receivers and the WAP. I have sent you a private message for further testing and help you resolve this.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I am still waiting for my new Motorola WAP.  I replied to the e-mail that you sent ot me but I still have had no response and AT&T does not show an order for this. Please reply as quickly as possible because I am still having the problems.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi cindyh5161,

I am so sorry for all the inconveniences. If you replied to the e-mail through your e-mail account, unfortunately, that does not send a return message. In order to reply back, you must login to your account at forums.att.com and reply back to the private message. I greatly apologize for everything once again, and if you have replied back by private message, please disregard my comment.

-David T

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for providing the requested information cindyh5161,

I'm sorry if you experienced difficulties communicating with me. I received your message yesterday and have submitted an order to send you a WAP.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having a similar problem, except my CISCO WAP keeps losing network connectivity.  It shows the power sysmbol, the wireless symbol, but the computer looking symbol on it (network) keeps going out.  I was able to resetablish connectivity by un plugging and re-plugging the network cable, or disconnecting and reconnecting the power, but now neither allow it to connect to the main 2 wire router.  It is a direct connection with no switches , etc between the two.

Open to suggestions.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I'm having a similar issue but with the newer Motorola WAP, which has already been replaced once.  I have 2 wireless receivers and both will lose connectivity to the WAP.  One of the receivers is less than 20 feet away from the WAP.

I have an ethernet connection to a local switch, that the WAP plugs into.  Nothing else on the switch has any issues at all.  they symptom is that the wireless receivers will work fine for days or weeks and then suddenly, the wireless strength indicator is blank!  Sometimes I have to reboot and re-pair the devices multiple times before the receivers will connect.

Please don't tell me that the WAP has to connect direct to the gateway.  That's not a realistic solution in a multi-floor home with quite a few (more than 20) network connected devices.

Thanks,

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi gkluzak,

I greatly apologize about the issues you are having with your wireless receivers. One thing worth trying is unplugging the power on the WAP and the U-verse router. Plug the power back into the U-verse router first, and then plug the power into the Cisco WAP after the U-verse router comes up. After that, hopefully that sorts out everything, and everything will continue to route as normal.

Let us know how it goes, and if you have any further issues, I will be glad to assist.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.