musketarm's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, June 17th, 2011 9:31 PM

Wireless TV

I purchased a wireless (built in wifi) TV recently.  I have it set up in my living room which does not have a coaxial jack.  I can watch internet streaming such as Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, etc., but I can not watch the u-verse programming I pay for due to no coaxial hook up.  All of the u-verse receivers have USB ports.  So I'm wondering, with technology the way it is today, why doesn't AT&T have a jump drive for a receiver which would bring the programming signal from the main DVR/Gateway to that receiver thus giving me all my channels.  We have wireless internet/streaming, so what's the problem.  Having to run a coaxial to the wall kind of defeats the whole wireless TV thing.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

363 Messages

13 years ago

What about the MediaFlex from Ruckus Wireless?

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/mediaflex-home-products

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/mediaflex-home-products/7000-series

The OP could use that to wirelessly connect the STB/DVR to the RG, then connect the STB/DVR to the TV either via HDMI or Component, then there shouldn't be a need to run CAT5 or Coax, then if the TV is 802.11n capable, then the OP could connect the TV to it too

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Wireless TV would be great, but they have not yet perfected it. There were some posts about some trials a while back.

The TV would stil need a connection to an STB. The STB must be connected coax or cat5. Search here for posts about the possiblity of  network devices that operate over the home electric system.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I tried using a wireless bridge with mixed succes. It worked fine, including HD programming, BUT I had occasional drop outs. 

I had converted a Linksys router to a wireless repeater and it was only capable of type G and 100 MHZ through the LAN port to the STB.

I think that a type N router with GByte output would do the trick. But for now the ATT gateway is the limiting factor as it is ttype G. So we will have to wait for them to upgrade the router/gateway. (or buy our own ... hmmmm)

Guru

• 

644 Messages

13 years ago

Can you post a link to your TV for me....Smiley Very Happy

Guru

• 

644 Messages

13 years ago

o well

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@musketarm wrote:

I purchased a wireless (built in wifi) TV recently.  I have it set up in my living room which does not have a coaxial jack.  I can watch internet streaming such as Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, etc., but I can not watch the u-verse programming I pay for due to no coaxial hook up.  All of the u-verse receivers have USB ports.  So I'm wondering, with technology the way it is today, why doesn't AT&T have a jump drive for a receiver which would bring the programming signal from the main DVR/Gateway to that receiver thus giving me all my channels.  We have wireless internet/streaming, so what's the problem.  Having to run a coaxial to the wall kind of defeats the whole wireless TV thing.

I think that Kong57 has alluded to this - something smells a bit fowl here Smiley Wink:

This TV does not have an HDMI, composite or component input?  Why on earth would you buy a TV that has no hookups to run the service "that you pay for?"  Again something is odd here.

As far as wireless TV's go, IIRC I read that UV was exploring the possibilities of wireless STB's but you still need wires from the box to the TV.  If UV offers "wireless TV," could you imagine someone giving out their port /login info?  Free TV for all.  Thanks for the chuckle musketarm.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

13 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@musketarm wrote:

I think that Kong57 has alluded to this - something smells a bit fowl here Smiley Wink:

Exactly

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Excellent suggestion.  Went with the Media Flex and it works great.  I would recommend this to all with similar problem.

mikedamirault new what he was talking about.  Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I've heard there are STBoxen that have wifi adapters built-in now... so the TV can receive signal from the ATT Wireless Gateway.  Anyone using these?

My STB, connected to my ethernet, drops out all the time.

~ jds

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks.  I ended up getting the Media Flex 7000 series transmitter and receiver  which works great.  I understand that AT&T now has wireless STB's.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.