dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Saturday, November 9th, 2013 2:31 PM

Windows 8 PC and Uverse.com Live TV

I have a Gateway Windows 7 desktop PC connected via Ethernet to RG, and a Gateway Windows 8 desktop connected to the RG via WiFi.  When trying to use uverse.com's "Live TV" feature, the Win 7 PC says connected and I can view 100+ channels.  The Win 8 PC, is a different beast.  I installed the plugin (Step 2) but it always remains "Not Connected," meaning I can only view ~40 channels.  I see this: "Connect to U-verse Home Network to watch up to 126 LIVE channels."  Well, I AM connected, or else I would not be online.  In the FAQ it mentioned adjusting Firewall settings.  Can someone step-by-step me through that OR is it something else?  Thanks!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Is there anyone using Windows 8, to view live TV via uverse.com?

I have found a few sites for adjusting Win 8's Firewall.

Here is one I found from Brother.  Yes it's probably for a printer, but I digress.

A MS article on Firewalls.  It mentions allowing a port.  What port would this be?

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Dave.....maybe try PM'ing Somejoe7777?  He's the resident computer wizard.Smiley Wink

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Lol, thank you for the promotion. I will be sure to do my best to uphold the new title. I am glad everything is working, and thank you for letting us know what fixed it.

-David T

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@DavidCS wrote:

The only thing I can think of is making sure java is not blocked, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of components at work. If you disable the firewall and it is still not working, then the problem is probably not with the firewall.

I am still in debate on getting Windows 8, but maybe there will be a good sale on it, and I can get a copy for cheap. For some reason, when it comes to electronics, I am always up to date with the latest toys, but on operating systems, I'm years behind. I had one machine running Windows XP up until 2 years ago.

-David T

I lucked into getting this computer, it came with Windows 8, so I will use as is.  XP is my OS of choice.  Seems like MS alternates between good OS and bad ones.  Win 98 was good, ME bad, XP GREAT, Vista bad.  Win 7 is growing on me but 8 got lost of mixed reviews.  I have heard that the 8.1 upgrade is nice.

The main reason Win 8 is getting mixed reviews is the interface.  From everything I've read it's a rock solid OS, but it's a HUGE learning curve.   Classic Shell is what I've been told to get for Win 8, it brings back the start menu and creates a Win 7 style interface.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

It's the Metro interface, and the dichotomy between apps that run in the Metro interface and what's available to them vs applications on the Desktop interface.  e.g. IE in Metro can't run ActiveX controls, IE in Desktop can.

And the fact that they put gesture based controls on the desktop to replace things that worked better with a mouse... I guess that falls under Interface.  I also had to look up how to find the blasted disk image capture because SEARCH wouldn't get you there (at least in 8.0, I haven't tried in 8.1).

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

@dhascall wrote:

@DavidCS wrote:

The only thing I can think of is making sure java is not blocked, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of components at work. If you disable the firewall and it is still not working, then the problem is probably not with the firewall.

I am still in debate on getting Windows 8, but maybe there will be a good sale on it, and I can get a copy for cheap. For some reason, when it comes to electronics, I am always up to date with the latest toys, but on operating systems, I'm years behind. I had one machine running Windows XP up until 2 years ago.

-David T

I lucked into getting this computer, it came with Windows 8, so I will use as is.  XP is my OS of choice.  Seems like MS alternates between good OS and bad ones.  Win 98 was good, ME bad, XP GREAT, Vista bad.  Win 7 is growing on me but 8 got lost of mixed reviews.  I have heard that the 8.1 upgrade is nice.

The main reason Win 8 is getting mixed reviews is the interface.  From everything I've read it's a rock solid OS, but it's a HUGE learning curve.   Classic Shell is what I've been told to get for Win 8, it brings back the start menu and creates a Win 7 style interface.

One of the tiles takes you to a Standard Win 98/XP/Vista/7 style Desktop.  I have added some apps to the tablet style GUI and it's okay but Win 8 was never ready for primetime as just a PC OS.  For instance, no Search Box in the MS Store.  I upgraded to 8.1 last night and that issue was fixed.  I normally work in standard Desktop mode.  If you have a multitouch monitor, the Metro Interface might be cool.  I saw a 21" Multitouch monitor that ran Android, similar to the Win 8, Metro and multitouch display setup.  I do not have a touchscreen.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the same issue with Windows 8.1 always showing not connected while I am on my home network. The accepted solution did not work for me. I still have the problem with all firewall and anti-virus software disabled. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin, clearing browser files/cookies, adjusting security settings, using a wired instead of wireless connection, and nothing has worked. My phone and tablet are both able to view the Live-TV in home channels just fine. All software is up to date, and the plugin is allowed to run always.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Funny thing about windows 8.. it is so "great", rather than fixing it, Microsoft is starting from scratch and relesing Windows 10!

Not really on topic, I know.. but figured it at least deserved a passing mention.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.