dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Saturday, November 9th, 2013 2:31 PM

Windows 8 PC and Uverse.com Live TV

I have a Gateway Windows 7 desktop PC connected via Ethernet to RG, and a Gateway Windows 8 desktop connected to the RG via WiFi.  When trying to use uverse.com's "Live TV" feature, the Win 7 PC says connected and I can view 100+ channels.  The Win 8 PC, is a different beast.  I installed the plugin (Step 2) but it always remains "Not Connected," meaning I can only view ~40 channels.  I see this: "Connect to U-verse Home Network to watch up to 126 LIVE channels."  Well, I AM connected, or else I would not be online.  In the FAQ it mentioned adjusting Firewall settings.  Can someone step-by-step me through that OR is it something else?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi dhascall,

Not sure if this helps, but I was running through the threads and saw this

https://forums.att.com/t5/Applications/Live-TV-on-Windows-7-will-not-run-without-shutting-off-ATT/m-p/3797327#.UoLG5aw8Gz5

@cdw7334 wrote:

Live TV on Windows 7 - will not run without shutting off ATT Security Suite Firewall by McAfee

I know his reference was towards Windows 7, but I could only imagine it would apply to any OS and any firewall.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Solved.  Norton FW (bloatware... blah!) did not even ask, it just blocked it.  I uninstalled Norton, and just went with Windows Defender.  That FW asked if I wanted to allow uverseonline to connect and I said yes.  Now at 109 channels.  I should have looked more into what my Superhero, DavidCS, suggested, sorry dude!  You need a promotion, so I'll promote you to DavidCSSH (Superhero).

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Sorry I can't help with the Win 8 but I have Win 7 Pro and I am connected wireless and it worked fine.  Just trying to see if the wireless had anything to do with the equasion but it appears not.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Beebbe.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks David - I will play around with the FW settings.  I wish that I knew what to adjust, and where to adjust it,  lol.  New to Windows 8.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

The only thing I can think of is making sure java is not blocked, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of components at work. If you disable the firewall and it is still not working, then the problem is probably not with the firewall.

I am still in debate on getting Windows 8, but maybe there will be a good sale on it, and I can get a copy for cheap. For some reason, when it comes to electronics, I am always up to date with the latest toys, but on operating systems, I'm years behind. I had one machine running Windows XP up until 2 years ago.

-David T

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

What I have been able to determine is that the component that determines whether or not you're inside your AT&T U-verse served home is a Java component.

The different video providers each seem to have their own preferred player using its own preferred technology.  I've identified both Silverlight and Flash so far.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@DavidCS wrote:

The only thing I can think of is making sure java is not blocked, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of components at work. If you disable the firewall and it is still not working, then the problem is probably not with the firewall.

I am still in debate on getting Windows 8, but maybe there will be a good sale on it, and I can get a copy for cheap. For some reason, when it comes to electronics, I am always up to date with the latest toys, but on operating systems, I'm years behind. I had one machine running Windows XP up until 2 years ago.

-David T

I lucked into getting this computer, it came with Windows 8, so I will use as is.  XP is my OS of choice.  Seems like MS alternates between good OS and bad ones.  Win 98 was good, ME bad, XP GREAT, Vista bad.  Win 7 is growing on me but 8 got lost of mixed reviews.  I have heard that the 8.1 upgrade is nice.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

I like 7 even better than XP.  There are several things about 8 that I do not like.  There are things about 8 that are nice if you have a touchscreen.  I don't see significant differences between 8 and 8.1, but I'm not the daily user on our 8/8.1 machines.

Oops, wandered off topic.  Sorry.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I actually just ordered a new laptop and paid $75 to "downgrade" it to Win 7 Pro.  They did however send me the full Win 8.1 software on CD's with it.  I'm just so use to Win 7 because that's what all of my office computers are running. 

I have talked to several IT guys and they tell me Win 8 is not really ready for the business environment yet.  Can't agree or disagree since I haven't tried it.  I'm sure we will all be forced there eventually.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.