dopamine5ht's profile

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 12:06 PM

Will I be able watch Al Jazeera America on Aug 20th and beyond?

I know that current tv is no more, and al jazzera america to go live. The question is will I be able to enjoy it. I have been looking forward to this adtion of news channels. In my view ABC* CNN* FOX* *NBC* is not enough.

I am hoping this channel goes live. Maybe some day I will get my wish in see BBCnews as well. I want  more news and less news entertainment.

Not that I want any of the other channels to go away. I just want more options. I like uverse dearly. I am still waiting the 1000's of channels everyone was dreaming about years ago.

I am still kind of irritated., and so is my family that although we enjoy our UVERSE TV. It is still does not live up to the ideal. Kids channels are great. The educational channels are still lacking. Dreaming of the day that we have something equivalant of BBC 4 here.

Scholar

• 

118 Messages

11 years ago

Are we going to get this network or not? It couldn't cost that much. They said they wanted 12 cents per subscriber, they might even go less. That's nothing. You're paying over $5 for ESPN alone. TNT is $1.21 and Fox News is 82 cents and CNN and HLN is 52 cents if you want to compare. 

For those who want The Blaze (I believe that's Glenn Beck's own network) how much does that cost? Who else carries it? Does it stream online? 

I seriously want to watch AJAM. Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network among others didn't drop it over contract disputes, why did AT&T? Obviously there's some interest and it's not that expensive. It might even become $0.00 because they want that kind of coverage. NASA TV has no carriage fees. Costs us nothing. 

Is this some sort of personal agenda? It sure seems like it. 

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jeremy1069fm wrote:

Are we going to get this network or not? It couldn't cost that much. They said they wanted 12 cents per subscriber, they might even go less. That's nothing. You're paying over $5 for ESPN alone. TNT is $1.21 and Fox News is 82 cents and CNN and HLN is 52 cents if you want to compare. 

Big difference, those networks (ESPN and TNT) actually have MILLIONS of viewers every day.

For those who want The Blaze (I believe that's Glenn Beck's own network) how much does that cost? Who else carries it? Does it stream online? 

Blaze network is only available on Dish.

I seriously want to watch AJAM. Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network among others didn't drop it over contract disputes, why did AT&T? Obviously there's some interest and it's not that expensive. It might even become $0.00 because they want that kind of coverage. NASA TV has no carriage fees. Costs us nothing. 

NASA costs you, just not via your provider, you pay through your taxes.

Is this some sort of personal agenda? It sure seems like it. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

In San Antonio, TX there is no more U-verse TV channel 189, so no Al Jazeera America for this city.  I'm not sure why.  So now I'm having to stream Bill Press and Stephanie Miller on my computer.  I think if people would push them to add Free Speech TV to the line-up we could get at least one progressive (and non-establishment) news source on TV.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@lilyf wrote:

In San Antonio, TX there is no more U-verse TV channel 189, so no Al Jazeera America for this city.  I'm not sure why.  So now I'm having to stream Bill Press and Stephanie Miller on my computer.  I think if people would push them to add Free Speech TV to the line-up we could get at least one progressive (and non-establishment) news source on TV.

Uverse is not carrying Al Jazeera America any where, any time, any how.  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

Looks like Al Jazeera is having troubles finding national companies to advertise.  They claim to only have 6 min per hour of commercials so they can focus on the news, however many of those commericials are for their own network.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I concur. It is disappointing, indeed. Missing BBC, too.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@sdekleva wrote:
I concur. It is disappointing, indeed. Missing BBC, too.

You can still watch BBC America on Channel 188 in standard definition.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I think ATT boasts over 600 channels.  How many of those channels are religous and shopping?  How many are duplicates (HD and non-HD)?  I probably watch 20 channels.  Let us have true cafeteria selections and we can pick Al Jazeera for ourselves.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@moontalker wrote:

I think ATT boasts over 600 channels.  How many of those channels are religous and shopping?  How many are duplicates (HD and non-HD)?  I probably watch 20 channels.  Let us have true cafeteria selections and we can pick Al Jazeera for ourselves.

The religious and shopping channels pay AT&T to be on.

The problems with paying for any channel by itself are that they have deals with other providers to be carried on various tiers. This would be unfair for the other providers who charge all subscribers to a tier a low price to carry it. In addition, they'd probably charge $12-15 per individual subscriber, similar to HBO, Cinemax, FOX Soccer Plus,  etc. Because of that high price, few people would subscribe...the higher the price, the fewer people pay.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@moontalker wrote:

I think ATT boasts over 600 channels.  How many of those channels are religous and shopping?  How many are duplicates (HD and non-HD)?  I probably watch 20 channels.  Let us have true cafeteria selections and we can pick Al Jazeera for ourselves.

I will say that we are closer to ala carte pricing than we were five years ago but the channels will not go for that any more than providers will.  In fact, Al Jazeera used to be a free selection on Roku but no more.  That was AJA's call.   If you want AJA, you may have to find a provider that carries it and that is not as simple as it sounds, anywhere.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.