dopamine5ht's profile

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 12:06 PM

Will I be able watch Al Jazeera America on Aug 20th and beyond?

I know that current tv is no more, and al jazzera america to go live. The question is will I be able to enjoy it. I have been looking forward to this adtion of news channels. In my view ABC* CNN* FOX* *NBC* is not enough.

I am hoping this channel goes live. Maybe some day I will get my wish in see BBCnews as well. I want  more news and less news entertainment.

Not that I want any of the other channels to go away. I just want more options. I like uverse dearly. I am still waiting the 1000's of channels everyone was dreaming about years ago.

I am still kind of irritated., and so is my family that although we enjoy our UVERSE TV. It is still does not live up to the ideal. Kids channels are great. The educational channels are still lacking. Dreaming of the day that we have something equivalant of BBC 4 here.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@codycooper864 wrote:
Oh I can switch to another provider and watch them if I want to. Don't tell me what not to plan on! It is not like I am forced to use U-Verse.

Why would you switch providers just because of one channel that was not even a factor in the U-Verse lineup until it was announced that Current TV was selling out to Al Jazeera? What you get with another provider may not be perfect or even less perfect for your needs either.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Got home tonight expecting to tune into Al Jazeera and found out that AT&T U-verse is not carrying it. I just switched to U-verse from Comcast thinking I was getting improved services and stations. Very upset also because I feel that I was mislead. Asked before switching if I would be able to get Al Jazeera and was told yes. Had I known, I would have thought twice about the switch at this time. I hope that whatever the issue is that has blocked the channel from being included will be resolved. I feel like a blade of grass between two fighting elephants. And..I'm paying to be in the middle. This sucks!

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

I did not say I WOULD switch. I said I COULD! I do not like being told what to plan on because I make my own plans buddy boy! I am waiting to see what they do about the Pac-12 Network before deciding what I wish to do anyway.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was really looking forward to being able to watch Al Jazeera America.  I have followed the Al Jazeera English web site for a long time and have been impressed with their unbiased news coverage at a time where all of the U.S. based news seems slanted.  AT&T's decision today was very disappointing.

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

11 years ago

Hello Community Members,

I would like to remind everyone that per the Community Guidelines:

"... The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters. Therefore, no such discussions are permitted. We reserve the right to delete inappropriate material."

You can view the guidelines HERE.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

No, you will not be able to watch Al Jazeera since At&T pulled the plug.  This is the final straw for me.  I've had all sorts of problems since I became a UVerse subscriber in January.  Now, I'm ready to go back to Comcast.

Scholar

• 

276 Messages

11 years ago

Very happy that they will not carry them.

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

Wow! People sure do get worked up over the stupidest stuff. Instead of worrying and threatening over this one channel that will NOT EVER draw big numbers, try spending more time with your kid or pet.

You'd be better off than this constant whining. I don't get my way..i'm leaving and taking my ball back to Comcrap, who I trashed before I trashed AT& T.  

WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Haven't had NHL Network for 2 years..love hockey. not whining. Get over yourselves.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@bluewahoos86 wrote:

Can you be more specific about your answer "provided value for our customers and our business"? This is extremely dissapointing. AT&T is doing a disservice to our community by not airing Al Jazeera America. You are depriving your customers of high quality news, which is an asset more valuable than regular programming. The are no alternatives to  CNN, FOX, and MSNBC for a 24/7 news channel. AT&T has a moral obligation to broadcast the news so that the American people can stay informed about the crucial issues of our time. 

AT&T is a for profit company, after all, so they do have to watch their bottom line.  I may have jumped the gun, wondering aloud if AT&T made a Political decision not to carry the channel instead of a truly economic one.  That may still be the case, idk.  In a non-related newsgroup, last night, it was mentioned that Current was pulling in 50 cents per subscriber, per month.  Texasguy37 knows the actual # of U-Verse subscribers but if it is 5 million (and assuming that includes TV) multiply that by 50 cents, equals well over $2M a month.  SO, I can see that AT&T might balk at that rate as there are cheaper channels that I regularly watch.  PLUS they had to cough up more $ for FOX Sports 1.  Long story short (and directed squarely at AT&T): I never watched Current but would more than likely tune in at least some to AJ.   Please reconsider.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

This is ridiculous - I cannot believe att made this choice.  As soon as I got home yesterday, I tried to watch the channel only to discover their last minute, lame decision.  Their reason for not airing the channel is just not true.  They were afraid of backlash & decided to become censors.  All my reasons for leaving Comcast pale to this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.