dopamine5ht's profile

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 12:06 PM

Will I be able watch Al Jazeera America on Aug 20th and beyond?

I know that current tv is no more, and al jazzera america to go live. The question is will I be able to enjoy it. I have been looking forward to this adtion of news channels. In my view ABC* CNN* FOX* *NBC* is not enough.

I am hoping this channel goes live. Maybe some day I will get my wish in see BBCnews as well. I want  more news and less news entertainment.

Not that I want any of the other channels to go away. I just want more options. I like uverse dearly. I am still waiting the 1000's of channels everyone was dreaming about years ago.

I am still kind of irritated., and so is my family that although we enjoy our UVERSE TV. It is still does not live up to the ideal. Kids channels are great. The educational channels are still lacking. Dreaming of the day that we have something equivalant of BBC 4 here.

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

To me it is NEVER. "great news" when a provider like U-Verse simply refuses to carry a channel and make it available for its subscribers. I know U-Verse like the back of my hand and can read them like a book! Here's what most assuredly happened:

Al Jazerra probably wanted U- Verse to carry the BeIN Sport channel that they also have ownership of as well as the Internet offerings of BeIN Sport. AT&T, who balked at the Internet BeIN Sport offering before and walked out on negotiations, did so again. I love u- Verse but their attempts at hardball can be maddening! Now I personally would probably not watch Al Jazeera America or BeIN a whole lot myself, but I believe in CHOICE! I think every provider should offer every channel so their subscribers can choose what they want to watch. The provider has no right to choose what I can watch FOR me! And I'll just bet that they don't bring the Pac-12 Network aboard either. Something will probably fall through there too. So even though I WANT to watch Pac-12, U-Verse might tell me that I CAN'T watch it! It's funny AJA was able to make an agreement with every other major provider out there BUT U-Verse! Here in Spartanburg, if you have Dish, Direct, or Charter you will have the option of watching AJ if you so choose. But AT&T has decided to make your decision for you- like a parent telling a child they can't watch something.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@codycooper864 wrote:
To me it is NEVER. "great news" when a provider like U-Verse simply refuses to carry a channel and make it available for its subscribers. I know U-Verse like the back of my hand and can read them like a book! Here's what most assuredly happened:

Al Jazerra probably wanted U- Verse to carry the BeIN Sport channel that they also have ownership of as well as the Internet offerings of BeIN Sport. AT&T, who balked at the Internet BeIN Sport offering before and walked out on negotiations, did so again. I love u- Verse but their attempts at hardball can be maddening! Now I personally would probably not watch Al Jazeera America or BeIN a whole lot myself, but I believe in CHOICE! I think every provider should offer every channel so their subscribers can choose what they want to watch. The provider has no right to choose what I can watch FOR me! And I'll just bet that they don't bring the Pac-12 Network aboard either. Something will probably fall through there too. So even though I WANT to watch Pac-12, U-Verse might tell me that I CAN'T watch it! It's funny AJA was able to make an agreement with every other major provider out there BUT U-Verse! Here in Spartanburg, if you have Dish, Direct, or Charter you will have the option of watching AJ if you so choose. But AT&T has decided to make your decision for you- like a parent telling a child they can't watch something.

You have said this about bien Sport before. Unless you can cite your sources, you're just spreading around rumors that have a very strong possibility of being false.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Sadly disappointed....just tried to tune in to 189 and it is no more.  Just read that ATT dropped the network an hour ago.  I have been a customer for over 20 years, they just lost me.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@mnkbean wrote:

Sadly disappointed....just tried to tune in to 189 and it is no more.  Just read that ATT dropped the network an hour ago.  I have been a customer for over 20 years, they just lost me.

U-Verse hasn't existed for more than 7 years. Dropping thembecause they aren't carrying a brand new channel on day one is making you want to leave them?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I was looking fordward to Al Jezerra.  It's news coverage is detailed and objective.  Now I guess I need another provider

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have been a customer of ATT for all those years, not just a UVerse customer. And yes, if there is something I am interested in that they don't provide, I will switch.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am sick and tired of corporations deciding what news I can watch.  It's bad enough we have to watch then crap that's already part of your line up.  Are you afraid of real journalism?

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@mesdesigns wrote:

I am sick and tired of corporations deciding what news I can watch.  It's bad enough we have to watch then crap that's already part of your line up.  Are you afraid of real journalism?

The AT&T corporation is a business. As a private business, it has the right to provide whatever content it feels like providing. Input from the customers helps, but the corporation or business has the final say.

If you owned a business. would you want your customers running your business instead of you running it yourself? Large or small business, the owners have the last say.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

If you owned a business. would you want your customers running your business instead of you running it yourself? Large or small business, the owners have the last say.

Not true.  At some point, if the corporation doesn't do what the customers want, they lose sales and eventually go bankrupt.  The final say is in the hands of the customers.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

I must admit that I was hyped up to see what Al Jazeera America was all about.  I have heard some good things about Al Jazeera's new coverage compared to the coverage provided by US news networks.  I'm disappointed that U-verse could not come to an agreement to carry that channel.

From what I have read Al Jazeera wants to expand carriage of the network in the US, and is not focused on making a profit at this point.  If true, I could not imagine them asking for an outlandish carriage fee for the channel.  I wonder if there were other factors that came into play with U-verse's decision not to carry.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.