puffpup7's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 1st, 2014 8:26 PM

Why is U-verse TV unavailable in my area?.

Hey there! I'm really frustrated as to why there's such a lack of communication and vagueness when I inquire as to why U-verse TV service is "Not Available" in my area. When I switched to U-verse internet Broadband service last April, the CSR who handled my account said that the U verse availability was recently established on our local lines and that U-verse TV service would "follow soon". Just when is "soon". I've chatted with CSRs who have checked to see what the status of availability is. None of them couls confirm any info. in that regard. Just the "You will be informed when that service is available. Lately there have been promotions of U verse TV upgrade options "in your area" on local radio. You'd think that means TV service is now available to all U-verse subscribers who have the Broadband Internet service. But obviously when I've entered my home address and clicked to send my info- all I get as a reply, is the: "U-verse TV is unavailable in your area." message. (They never specify what they mean by "your area".) I've read that the excuse is the same as when DSL gradually became available: the closer you were early on, the better you were to get the service if you were within 3 miles of the Central Exchange location for your local phone's 3-digit prefix. In my case I live only two blocks away from the Central Exchange. The CSR above did mention the more new U-verse subscribers they got in the area, the better. He also indicated the closer I was to the Central Exchange the sooner I'd get the uprade to the TV service. Perhaps if the TV services don't become available, I just may go back to Time Warner since I get their basic channels as part of my rent. We can't have satellite services due to the Housing Authority not allowing dishes to be installed outside our windows. It's strange that I have Wireless Home Phone service available thru my ATT mobile plan that uses a transceiver unit that moves the phone signal around, yet their's no such system to send digital TV signals. Anybody know why ATT is silent about availability of U-verse TV? I need a specific answer or I'm going to contact a local talk show host and see if he can get the "4-1-1" on this.         

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

@AprilR wrote:

It’s a year later and it’s the same story for me...I live in Lexington SC and they tell me that I can’t get U verse because “Windstream” and “Time Warner Cable” (now spectrum) have some “non-compete” grandfathered monopoly on providing service in this area...WHAT?!? Like, I can’t get U-verse (even though I have AT&T cellular service and Direct TV...and sadly the windstream internet that I have cannot handle the Direct TV services that I pay for. Going to cancel...pointless waste

Is Windstream the incumbent local exchange company (ILEC) for your area?   In some areas they are a CLEC (competitive LEC), but I think in some parts of the state they bought the existing coop or smaller telephone company and are the successor to "the phone company" in your area.  AT&T doesn't overbuild; when someone else provides wireline service, they're not going there.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Wow...exactly the response I was expecting. Poor AT&T, please don’t waste
your precious resources “over building” so over 200,000 (yes that’s
correct) customers could have access to your internet offering! I honestly
could care less if the Direct TV representative that visited my home upon
installation had been diligent in seeing that my services were canceled due
to the inability of my “oh so inferior” internet service Windstream. And my
costs refunded as they were supposed to be over 6 weeks ago if service
continued to be poor or unsatisfactory. Instead, I got a bill for $510.00
and I have no TV service currently! Way to go AT&T and DIRECTV! Check the
history of my account at [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.