For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
puffpup7's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 1st, 2014 8:26 PM

Why is U-verse TV unavailable in my area?.

Hey there! I'm really frustrated as to why there's such a lack of communication and vagueness when I inquire as to why U-verse TV service is "Not Available" in my area. When I switched to U-verse internet Broadband service last April, the CSR who handled my account said that the U verse availability was recently established on our local lines and that U-verse TV service would "follow soon". Just when is "soon". I've chatted with CSRs who have checked to see what the status of availability is. None of them couls confirm any info. in that regard. Just the "You will be informed when that service is available. Lately there have been promotions of U verse TV upgrade options "in your area" on local radio. You'd think that means TV service is now available to all U-verse subscribers who have the Broadband Internet service. But obviously when I've entered my home address and clicked to send my info- all I get as a reply, is the: "U-verse TV is unavailable in your area." message. (They never specify what they mean by "your area".) I've read that the excuse is the same as when DSL gradually became available: the closer you were early on, the better you were to get the service if you were within 3 miles of the Central Exchange location for your local phone's 3-digit prefix. In my case I live only two blocks away from the Central Exchange. The CSR above did mention the more new U-verse subscribers they got in the area, the better. He also indicated the closer I was to the Central Exchange the sooner I'd get the uprade to the TV service. Perhaps if the TV services don't become available, I just may go back to Time Warner since I get their basic channels as part of my rent. We can't have satellite services due to the Housing Authority not allowing dishes to be installed outside our windows. It's strange that I have Wireless Home Phone service available thru my ATT mobile plan that uses a transceiver unit that moves the phone signal around, yet their's no such system to send digital TV signals. Anybody know why ATT is silent about availability of U-verse TV? I need a specific answer or I'm going to contact a local talk show host and see if he can get the "4-1-1" on this.         

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

The U-verse name has been attached to multiple technologies:

1) The FTTP or FTTN with VDSL2 service which allows customers to have a choice of IPTV, HSIA and VOIP on one physical connection.

2) The ADSL2+ services which may be deployed from a neighborhood box, but is more typically deployed just like the older ADSL service, i.e. from the Central Office, and can only offer HSIA and VOIP.

#1 requires them to run fiber to each neighborhood and construction of a VRAD (Video Ready Access Device) at the end of the fiber run. This becomes the N (or Node) in FTTN (Fiber to the Node).

All #2 requires them to add one or two pieces of equipment in the Central Office and start selling.

It appears you have #2.  To offer #1, they have to do the fiber/VRAD build out.  They may have thought that we'll get enough ADSL2+ customers to prove demand so we can roll out #1.  They may still be waiting for that "enough customers."

AT&T doesn't telegraph their plans any more than they have to, to keep competitors in the dark.  Unfortunately, this also keeps their customers (and potential customers) in the dark as well. Sometimes you can get a glimmer of what's coming by reading through Public Utility/Service Commision filings in your community/city/county/state.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

878 Messages

8 years ago

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@puffpup7 wrote:

Hey there! I'm really frustrated as to why there's such a lack of communication and vagueness when I inquire as to why U-verse TV service is "Not Available" in my area. When I switched to U-verse internet Broadband service last April, the CSR who handled my account said that the U verse availability was recently established on our local lines and that U-verse TV service would "follow soon". Just when is "soon". I've chatted with CSRs who have checked to see what the status of availability is. None of them couls confirm any info. in that regard. Just the "You will be informed when that service is available. Lately there have been promotions of U verse TV upgrade options "in your area" on local radio. You'd think that means TV service is now available to all U-verse subscribers who have the Broadband Internet service. But obviously when I've entered my home address and clicked to send my info- all I get as a reply, is the: "U-verse TV is unavailable in your area." message. (They never specify what they mean by "your area".) I've read that the excuse is the same as when DSL gradually became available: the closer you were early on, the better you were to get the service if you were within 3 miles of the Central Exchange location for your local phone's 3-digit prefix. In my case I live only two blocks away from the Central Exchange. The CSR above did mention the more new U-verse subscribers they got in the area, the better. He also indicated the closer I was to the Central Exchange the sooner I'd get the uprade to the TV service. Perhaps if the TV services don't become available, I just may go back to Time Warner since I get their basic channels as part of my rent. We can't have satellite services due to the Housing Authority not allowing dishes to be installed outside our windows. It's strange that I have Wireless Home Phone service available thru my ATT mobile plan that uses a transceiver unit that moves the phone signal around, yet their's no such system to send digital TV signals. Anybody know why ATT is silent about availability of U-verse TV? I need a specific answer or I'm going to contact a local talk show host and see if he can get the "4-1-1" on this.         

You posted on July 6, 2006, that you could not get U-Verse television. Now after almost eight years, it is still not in your area. What provider have you had for the last almost eight years?

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/Re-Soon-to-be-former-AT-amp-T-Customer-Make-sure-U-Verse-is/m-p/3886535/highlight/true#M23178

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response! I wondered if what you said about them getting enough subscribers to validate offering U-verse TV. But the CSR acted as though that wouldn't "take long" to happen- as though it'd be less than 90 days. You'd think they could at least provide the service to limited areas close to the Central Office. I'm only two blocks directly north of the local exchange. Our phone cable line from the building connects with the Main north trunk line running under a local alley directly from the exchange. I live in the Downtown area and you'd think there'd be plenty of Uverse hook ups since the area is the center for County government & business concerns. But often it's another phone service that provides them data services. I only use my phone line for the Uverse service. I have Wireless Home Phone with my ATT Mobile service and its much cheaper. Wish there was a way Uverse could stream its TV signals on regular internet. I know of some streaming  services  now available but charge a fee as many websites do. Thanks for the "4-1-1" that ironically ATT couldn't or wouldn't provide. They could briefly explain publicly what you did. I may go back to Time Warner since they've revamped their service tier.   

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Hello and I'm sorry Att isn't available in your area but have you tried to get Att servers on the Internet? It has the same great features on the web as it dose with u-verse. I wish I could help you more I;m going to check some good resource's about that problim your faceing and get bact to you. Justin

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have had U-Verse WiFi for almost 3 years now and been hearing the same thing, TV service will be in your area soon. I checked on the app tonight and it says that we have it in our areaarea now but reading some of the reviews I've read tonight I'm a little apprehensive on switching from Direct TV. We have 4 DVR's, an awesome package & all of the movie channels with them for $125-$150 monthly. So, if U-Verse can't give me the same quality deal with the same kinds of prices & customer service I'm not sure if I should switch. ....... I need some opinions?!?!?!?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

If u-verses isn't available in your area keep trying to contact ATT so you can get a idea when it may be available to you as far as Time Warner goes that's the last cable company I'd sign a contract with I had their services with a two year contract and I was suppose to been locked in a fixed rate but my bill just keep getting higher not to mention always having my service dropped every time the weather conditions weren't perfect. ATT has signed contract with Direct TV I'd recommend them sense there affiliate with Direct TV you can get Direct TV by calling ATT.

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

8 years ago

They got me to switch ... I am now regretting it. What they promised me. is a lie. I was told that by a social manager today. after verifying 20 times before the install. The drilling of my home. ATT Manager tells me today after I already got correct bills. That it was a mistake, I don't qualify. All  ATT people workers told me wrong and he is sorry. I won't get my promotional 2 year contract rate. Look all over this site. many are the same. Bill Too high not what was promised. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

It’s a year later and it’s the same story for me...I live in Lexington SC and they tell me that I can’t get U verse because “Windstream” and “Time Warner Cable” (now spectrum) have some “non-compete” grandfathered monopoly on providing service in this area...WHAT?!? Like, I can’t get U-verse (even though I have AT&T cellular service and Direct TV...and sadly the windstream internet that I have cannot handle the Direct TV services that I pay for. Going to cancel...pointless waste

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.