lgskaggs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, April 28th, 2014 2:59 AM

Why is DirecTv's HD better than AT&T?

I just had AT&T Uverse installed, and left DirecTv and there is a very big difference in the picture quality. What is the reason for this? If this is a technology issue, is there something being done to resolve this? 

And yes, I have everything setup correctly, and I am using the exact same TV's and picture settings as I did earlier with DirecTv. 

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

8 years ago

WHY did you change from the BEST PQ Provider (DirecTV)

to the Lowest ?

It is NOT technically possible to "STUFF"  HDTV, Internet and (2) phone Lines into an OLD (1) Pair Copper Phone line.

and YES, AT&T "DID" something about it. They Bought DirecTV.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@directv100 wrote:

WHY did you change from the BEST PQ Provider (DirecTV)

to the Lowest ?

It is NOT technically possible to "STUFF"  HDTV, Internet and (2) phone Lines into an OLD (1) Pair Copper Phone line.

and YES, AT&T "DID" something about it. They Bought DirecTV.

I think Bilbo and Gandalf are cooking up a surprise for you.

Yes, it is technically possible to "stuff" HDTV, Internet and two VOIP voice channels into old copper pair.  Millions of users will attest to this fact.

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

8 years ago

My mistake, you are correct, it is possible to "Stuff" them together, BUT they will NOT work as well compared to doing it separetly.

Who are Bilbo and Gandalf

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@jolorenzo wrote:

Directv's signal is on a fiber optic cable for faster delivery, thereby providing a better quality picture.

WOAH...I'm going to need some clarity on that statement.  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@directv100 wrote:

My mistake, you are correct, it is possible to "Stuff" them together, BUT they will NOT work as well compared to doing it separetly.

Who are Bilbo and Gandalf

How well it works varies from very well to poorly depending on the distance from your home to the neighborhood VRAD, the gauge, age and history of the wiring involved.  Those in neighborhoods less than 30 years old who live withn a half-mile of their VRAD should have no problem with HD video, decent High Speed Internet, and VOIP (which doesn't take enough bandwidth to enter in to the conversation).

Some information on Bilbo and Gandalf on this website.  The specific page referenced is especially relevant.

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

8 years ago

That is All correct.

Don't forget you can-NOT measure the distance from the VRAD in a straight line.

Sometimes the "Wire" takes an obstacle course.

Example: An apartrment house. The wires may go to the Far end of the complex, to the Main, or Sub Phone room,  then wind themselves through the building, NOT always going the most direct route.

This can also be true of the cables in the street, Buried, and on poles.

If they are tooo long, you may not get any signal.

You also have to consider how MANY devices are sharing the line.

Tell me more about   Bilbo and Gandalf

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@directv100 wrote:

That is All correct.

Don't forget you can-NOT measure the distance from the VRAD in a straight line.

Sometimes the "Wire" takes an obstacle course.

Example: An apartrment house. The wires may go to the Far end of the complex, to the Main, or Sub Phone room,  then wind themselves through the building, NOT always going the most direct route.

This can also be true of the cables in the street, Buried, and on poles.

If they are tooo long, you may not get any signal.

You also have to consider how MANY devices are sharing the line.

Tell me more about   Bilbo and Gandalf

Nothing but bashing Uverse, isn't that your thing?  SomeJoe7777's UvRealtime told me 400' and walking it found it was 396' away.   Sometimes it is just straight lines.

Have great Uverse HD TV on my Panasonic plasma and 12/1.50M always getting 15.35/2.00M on speed tests.  Actually get 16.24/2.17M on speedof.me.

I've had Dish before this, but dropped it after a tree was in the way of the HD satellite and decided I wanted Uverse.  Had to wait a few weeks before getting the Congratutions on Uverse service.

Pretty sure there is a tree in the way of DirecTV satellite too; although another resident in my 4 family flat got it in early winter (never a good idea if trees around).  Be interesting if there aren't problems in Spring when leaves spring up on the trees. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

@jolorenzo wrote:

It was explained to me, by the uverse tech, that the directv signal is of far better quality. My brother has diretv & his HD picture quality is night & day better than my uverse hd. Also, directv broadcasts in 4K now. No one else does other than Netflix.  I'm switching next week.

It would be a better quality, coming directly from the satellite to a short cable to your router or set top box.  If you are using the wireless solution, Genie, the signal will stay great - assuming everyone is in range of the router's wireless signal.

I switched from DirecTV/Brighthouse Internet to Uverse, and while the video quality is very good on Uverse, it just holds a candle to DirecTV, resolution wise.

My only problem with having DirecTV is the weather - I'm in central Florida and we have almost constant thunderstorms during the summer, which block the signal to the satellite (and quite often fries the cable modem/router).  I would love to use DirecTV with the option of switching to Uverse TV when the signal cuts out from the cloud cover.  That would be too sweet for words.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Not my words...came from the uverse/directv tech's mouth! Lol

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yup, hope there aren't any intergallactic trip ups!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.