Why doesnt Uverse offer the NHL Network when it carries NFL NBA AND MLB?

Contributor

Why doesnt Uverse offer the NHL Network when it carries NFL NBA AND MLB?

Message 1 of 34 (51,436 Views)

Re: Why doesnt Uverse offer the NHL Network when it carries NFL NBA AND MLB?

halk wrote:
This is incorrect. AT&T had the NHL Network and cancelled it a couple days before the start of the 2011/2012 season. I had just switched over from my cable company after verifying that the NHL was part of the Uverse lineup. I caught all the preseason games and the day of the final preseason game around October 2, 2011, they ran a banner across the screen announcing they were cancelling the NHL Network at midnight. They have never had it since and I went back to my original cable company since the day the NHL was dropped. They have lost thousands of customers in the U.S.A. but they refuse to bring the NHL back and I spent months calling everyone at Uverse including the president's office.

When weighing the cost for placing a channel on a lower package AT&T has to look at the number of subscribers and determine whether or not the cost works for them, if it doesn't, they won't add/change the channel.  While hockey maybe popular, losing "thousands" of customer is probably cheaper than paying the network for MILLIONS of customers, many who probably wouldn't watch it.  ESPN is the most expensive channel on the air and for each subscriber AT&T pays ESPN over $4.00 per subscriber that has access to it.  Since it's available in every package except for UBasic and UFamily, it costs AT&T close $225 million per year.  NHL's highest rating was on NBC Sports Network, game 3 of the Stanely cup and it only drew just shy of 4 million viewers. That's just a few hundred thousand less than the number of UVerse subscribers. Now figure that is across 13 major cable providers that's less than 300,000 viewers on average per network.  Last count DirectTV had 20,110,000 subscribers, Dish has around 14,000,000 subscribers, Comcast has around 50,000,000 subscribers, AT&T has around 5,000,000 subscribers.  When you look at those numbers, NHL network and the number of viewers isn't that high. ESPN averages 115,000,000 viewers per month.  That's a far greater number than an NHL game.  The majority of hockey games draw less than 1,000,000 viewers.  Since the majority of NHL games are on either the RSNs or NBCSN, the NHL Network loses out on a lot of viewers if they game they are showing isn't a major rivalary game between the higher profile teams. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 34 (48,889 Views)

THERE ARE ALSO MANY "TALK" SHOWS AND OTHER INFORMATIONAL SHOWS AVAILABLE ON THIS NETWORK TO KEEP UP WITH THE SPORT IN GENERAL.  WISH THEY WOULD OFFER THIS CHANNEL.  CONSIDER MOVING BACK TO COMCAST!

Message 17 of 34 (48,581 Views)

WHY DON'T THEY JUST ADD IT TO A HIGHER TIER, LIKE U300?

Message 18 of 34 (48,580 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

mypreciousmoments wrote:

THERE ARE ALSO MANY "TALK" SHOWS AND OTHER INFORMATIONAL SHOWS AVAILABLE ON THIS NETWORK TO KEEP UP WITH THE SPORT IN GENERAL.  WISH THEY WOULD OFFER THIS CHANNEL.  CONSIDER MOVING BACK TO COMCAST!

There is no need for your shouting (the use of all capital letters). That is not going to change anything in regards to the NHL Network.

(edited to remove link to deactivated website)

Other than that, it is all up to AT&T. They are very much aware of their subscribers desire for getting back the NHL Network.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 34 (48,569 Views)
Contributor

If they're so aware of it, and so many people are complaining, how many people does it take before we get some movement from these people considering negotiations? It seems that if they really wanted to offer a service to their customers, they would try to go back to the negotiating table! If not, why not make it a premium option?
Message 20 of 34 (35,474 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

wb8cki wrote:
If they're so aware of it, and so many people are complaining, how many people does it take before we get some movement from these people considering negotiations? It seems that if they really wanted to offer a service to their customers, they would try to go back to the negotiating table! If not, why not make it a premium option?

Maybe the NHL Network doesn't want there to be a premium option.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 34 (35,469 Views)
ACE - Expert

wb8cki wrote:

AT&T is looking to pay so much money and NHL network is looking to make so much money.  AT&T pays per the subscriber that gets the network times the per-subscriber fee.  AT&T thus wants it on the highest possible tier so the number of subs is lower.  NHL Network wants it on the lowest possible tier so that the they get the highest number of subs.  So they go back and forth about which tier and how much per subscriber.  Then you have to throw in streaming rights for PC's, Phones, Tablets, in Network, out of network, authenticated users, etc.

Message 22 of 34 (35,468 Views)
Contributor

I was an early adopter seven or so years ago. Unfortunately I moved to an area that doesn’t have access to U-Verse. That has all changed today U-verse is now available in my neighborhood! So I rushed to see what U-verse's channel lineups look like.

Well, what even more unfortunate is that U-verse DOES NOT CARRY the NHL Network. That non-starter for me! Stupid, Stupid Stupid!

Well, I guess I be sticking to Direct TV.   

Message 23 of 34 (33,258 Views)
Tutor

I fail to understand how the negotiators for 30 other providers such Cablevision, Charter, Comcast, Cox, Direct TV, Dish, Quest Broadband, Time Warner and Verizon could all negotiate decent deals for their customers yet AT&T. Perhaps AT&T needs to hire the negotiators from one of these other companies. I suppose I should cross Direct TV off this list since AT&T plans on buying it.

Message 24 of 34 (27,005 Views)
Tutor

or buying a video service with no channels

Message 25 of 34 (27,002 Views)
ACE - Master

at3edme1 wrote:

I fail to understand how the negotiators for 30 other providers such Cablevision, Charter, Comcast, Cox, Direct TV, Dish, Quest Broadband, Time Warner and Verizon could all negotiate decent deals for their customers yet AT&T. Perhaps AT&T needs to hire the negotiators from one of these other companies. I suppose I should cross Direct TV off this list since AT&T plans on buying it.

But it takes two to dance, right?  I was not at the negotiations but (playing Devil's advocate) what if the NHL negotiator simply didn't want to play ball with AT&T?  Just saying.  CBS is in the same boat, with Video on Demand.  CBS only offers their shows via VoD where CBS owns the local station - and that is in just 14 of AT&T's almost 140 markets.  CBS will not budge!  

I can't say whether we will get NHL or not but I bet that they are trying.   Channels want carriers to pay more and carriers want to pay less - and so it goes, it is a two way street.  Good luck.

Message 26 of 34 (26,986 Views)
ACE - Professor

dambro wrote:

I was an early adopter seven or so years ago. Unfortunately I moved to an area that doesn’t have access to U-Verse. That has all changed today U-verse is now available in my neighborhood! So I rushed to see what U-verse's channel lineups look like.

Well, what even more unfortunate is that U-verse DOES NOT CARRY the NHL Network. That non-starter for me! Stupid, Stupid Stupid!

Well, I guess I be sticking to Direct TV.   

After the merger goes through and the channel lineups are finalized, AT&T *could* get NHL Network off DirecTV's lineup, or the NHL could pull the channel from DirecTV, based off AT&T's lineup.

We simply do not know. There is a LOT to be figured out by "the suits" before everything is even begun to be finalized.

Message 27 of 34 (26,973 Views)
Scholar

It's back......and now the question no longer needs to be asked.

Message 28 of 34 (164 Views)
Tutor

The only problem with it being back is that it requires U450 package. I love the NHL but I'm not about to pay $40 more each month for just one channel. (I understand that i would be getting more than just one channel, but those other channels do nothing for me).

ATT, please consider making NHL Network a la carte or as part of a sports package.
Message 29 of 34 (107 Views)
Scholar

It looks like u verse won the battle after all, part of the reason for no nhl network  for 5 years , was that nhl network wanted to be carried on the u-300 tier like mlb and nba networks, but had to settle for the U-450 tier. Seems kind of silly it took nhl network 5 years to get a deal they could have had in oct. 2011. Being a hockey fan,I am thrilled by he deal as the nhl networks games are blacked out nationally, and I could not watch them on game center!

Message 30 of 34 (81 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.