For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
TexasHappy's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, December 29th, 2014 8:16 PM

Why does UVerse NOT have the Hallmark channels?

I have waited for years for the possibility of being able to get AT&T's U-Verse. But, now that I know that they do not have the Hallmark channels at all, I have rethought this need. I would rather have lower quality service than not have the Hallmark channels. They are the only TV that keeps me from having nightmares all the time. I do not want the channels that throw the vulgar language in our faces day and night, so I don't subscribe to them on my present service. I thought once that AT&T promoted positive family values. But, lack of channels such as Hallmark, Hallmark Movie Channel, and Up TV does not project support of family values and wholesome family television time together. How MUCH could they [Hallmark] want in fees to make AT&T drop them in 2010? Believe me, I have been passing the word via any means I can to stop others who just assume that U-Verse has these desired channels. OR, may I ask HOW CLOSE you are to resuming business with Hallmark? PLEASE, most of us would pay extra to have such channels, as much as some will pay for sports and other channels.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

The Hallmark Channel is Here!

Follow the link to find out more

by ATTU-verseCare

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hallmark has been gone for 4 years. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@TexasHappy wrote:

I have waited for years for the possibility of being able to get AT&T's U-Verse. But, now that I know that they do not have the Hallmark channels at all, I have rethought this need. I would rather have lower quality service than not have the Hallmark channels. They are the only TV that keeps me from having nightmares all the time. I do not want the channels that throw the vulgar language in our faces day and night, so I don't subscribe to them on my present service. I thought once that AT&T promoted positive family values. But, lack of channels such as Hallmark, Hallmark Movie Channel, and Up TV does not project support of family values and wholesome family television time together. How MUCH could they [Hallmark] want in fees to make AT&T drop them in 2010? Believe me, I have been passing the word via any means I can to stop others who just assume that U-Verse has these desired channels. OR, may I ask HOW CLOSE you are to resuming business with Hallmark? PLEASE, most of us would pay extra to have such channels, as much as some will pay for sports and other channels.

Hi @TexasHappy - please continue to do your word of mouth thing as there are at least a few folks each week, who sign up for U-Verse and fail to check the channel lineups for themselves.  So your mission of education is appreciated. 😉

As far as discussions go, these forums are primarily "customer to customer" forums with some AT&T involvement.  AT&T usually does not give us little folk access to their lawyers notebooks.  We did hear that they almost struck a deal in 2013 and they tried again in 2014.  According to a message that I received from Hallmark TV's Facebook page, they are mulling over AT&T's offer.   So it sounds like the ball is firmly in Crown Media's court.  Did you also contact them and demand that they work things out?

I really want the channels back as my wife loves their movies.  I do scoff when someone mentions "Hallmark" and "Family Friendly."  Have you checked out the plot lines from "Cedar Cove?"  Adultery, drug abuse, divorce, a musician who abandoned his family.  Family friendly, really? 🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

The topics mentioned as not really Family Friendly are valid points with the exception that generally speaking real life is being depicted. Families are facing those issues every where. These shows are not perfect, but they do most of the time show the bad and the good in a much different light than other channels. Sometimes they give more realistic solutions (hopefully) as things are resolved. And, if they are sappy at times, bring it on! Sometimes we need sappy!    And, I will be in touch with Hallmark right away to see is holding them up in accepting AT&T's deal! Thanks for that info.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@TexasHappy wrote:

The topics mentioned as not really Family Friendly are valid points with the exception that generally speaking real life is being depicted. Families are facing those issues every where. These shows are not perfect, but they do most of the time show the bad and the good in a much different light than other channels. Sometimes they give more realistic solutions (hopefully) as things are resolved. And, if they are sappy at times, bring it on! Sometimes we need sappy!    And, I will be in touch with Hallmark right away to see is holding them up in accepting AT&T's deal! Thanks for that info.

Not a problem and most of us on this forum do hope that it gets resolved but the impasse happened at a time when Crown Media needed money (they lost millions on Martha Stewart) and AT&T was small and was easily taken advantage of at contract re-up time.

The name of their Facebook page is "Hallmark Channel USA."  I'd "message" them, to make your point known.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

My wife almost fainted when I explained that our new service provider didn't have Hallmark.  Had I already not committed and had cut off the Xfinity cable service, I would have stopped the installation.  

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

9 years ago

@dacypo wrote:

My wife almost fainted when I explained that our new service provider didn't have Hallmark.  Had I already not committed and had cut off the Xfinity cable service, I would have stopped the installation.  

All U-Verse installation technicians should be required to have smelling salts or ammonia capsules readily available for instances like the above. It would certainly be good for public relations between AT&T and it's new customers.

AT&T certainly does not want any new customers to hit their heads as a result of fainting when they hear that U-Verse does not have the Hallmark channels.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I, too, have been hoping Hallmark and ATT Uverse would go to marriage counseling and resolve their differences.  We had been UVerse subscribers since they became available in 2009 in our area (So. Calif).  At our second home, we added Charter Cable in spring 2014 (we had been over-the-air digital). UVerse was not available.   Charter has Hallmark Channels.  After a couple of nights of watching the Hallmark Movie Channel, we fell back in love with their great family movies. My wife went on the warpath and insisted (and I agreed) to drop UVerse and get something with Hallmark at home.  After looking at options, we signed up for DISH as they had great pricing.  We watch Hallmark every night and have about 70 Hallmark movies we have recorded on our DVR.  We miss the speed and interface of UVerse, but now that we have so enjoyed Hallmark for about 6 months at home - and almost year at our mountain home, we would give up the UVerse interface and speed in a heartbeat just to have the two Hallmark channels.  We have had three neighbors who - once visiting and watching a couple of Hallmark's holiday movies during Christmas with us - canceled their UVerse.  Two went with Dish, the other Direct (for better sports as I recall).  Charter Cable is too expensive in our area (while it was much less costly at our mountain home - their pricing is weird).   If UVerse ever gets back the two Hallmark channels, we would drop Dish immediately and go back to UVerse.  However, until they get back Hallmark, we will never have UVerse TV in our home again - regardless of the price.   That is really a shame, because we love everything else about UVerse TV.  We did keep the UVerse Internet - very fast and reliable. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@taxnegotiator If Hallmark is a priority for you, you did what you had to get Hallmark. 

Unluckily Hallmark wants too much money for the small. but vocal minority of users that used the Hallmark channels on Uverse. 

For me Hallmark is not a blip on my radar and can enjoy everything else on Uverse. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I think you are grossly underestimating the number of Hallmark viewers.  A sizable number may not have reasonable alternatives or are waiting patiently (as we did for quite awhile) for Hallmark to return.  I believe you would be surprised at the actual number of former subscribers who jumped ship for other providers. 

Neither you nor I have seen the specifics of the contract negotiations.  ATT complains that Crown media is requesting too much.  Crown media says that ATT does not want to offer the carriage fee that Hallmark commands.  Who knows who is right, or if there is a right answer? I agreed with some others - I would be willing to pay a premium fee to get back Hallmark.  They offer  that with HBO and other movie channels.  Why not for the Hallmark Channels?  That seems a win-win, but no one is discussing that option from ATT's side that I can tell. 

Obviously, not everyone is a family-oriented movie buff.  If they are not, then losing Hallmark was no big deal to them (and you sound like one of that crowd). 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.