floweed's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 15th, 2015 2:06 AM

Why can't I watch recorded shows on other devices?

If I recorded shows on my TV, why can't I watch them on my iPad?  I even have a "watch" button, but clicking it does nothing.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Clicking watch is supposed to start streaming that show from the online library available whether you've recorded the show or not.  Does streaming normally work from your app if you pick it some other way?

You cannot actually watch the show streamed from the DVR on the mobile device; that has to be done from a TV.  The watch button on the recorded shows menu is a convenient way to watch a show that you're interested in (because you recorded it right), but it doesn't actually come from the DVR.

You're like the sixth person to ask this sort of question this week.  Normally we get one a month. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Some additional points should made.
While Comcast allows streaming DVR recordings, it's usually not advisable on a metered connection such as wireless cellular.  Streaming video using Uverse app in similar scenario does not count against data allowance.

If on a Wi-Fi connection, in addition to using the uverse app to watch live streaming or on demand content, almost every broadcaster has their own app and every one I've sampled has entire repertoire of a series on offer.

Nevertheless, I too would like the option of watching DVR recordings on a connected device, and I let AT&T know every time I answer the survey presented to me by the Uverse app.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@floweed - As jeffer says, there have been a spate of posts with this same question. I wondered if it is the same person raising the profile or maybe it is the next big thing.

You can watch your recordings on your ipad, just not via the u-verse app- you need a slingbox app - https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Applications/Watching-Recordings/m-p/4326986#M6330

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is really disappointing, I downloaded the ATT app on my Ipad and android because I really really didn't want to miss American Horror Story. Then, I wasted about an hour trying to figure out how to watch the recording on my Ipad and/or Android. Since I was traveling, I was soooooo excited to have access to this wonderful feature. To my surprise ... the apps WILL NOT play recordings!!!!!!!! How misleading! !!! ATT you really need to inform your customers that this feature is NOT available away from home! !!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The reason this person may be asking and the reason I'm here researching this issue is, personally I was able to do it previously with Comcast. The smirk (apparent ) in your  response sounds like we're looking for a "new" technology, it is not. Why not is my second question. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

You can watch any recorded show on Comcast xfinity. Why can you on att?  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have run into the same problem. It seems I used to be able to watch whatever was recorded on my dvrs before on my ipads, laptop, and phones when on the same wifi network. Now it does not let me. Yes, I have whole home, I have it set to share, watch, and record from external devices, and still nothing. No, I do not have a genie setup in the house. I'm running 3 HD DVRs on a whole home setup (cheaper and I can record/watch more shows).

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Come on AT&T, what's wrong with your technology?  I have two homes, one with U Verse and one with FIOS.  I can watch anything recorded on my FIOS DVR from anywhere in the US while traveling.  Get with it or I'm going to shift to Xfinity at my U Verse house.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T just doesn't give crap! It is time to get mad as Hades!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

This is not an advertised feature of U-verse TV.  It is an advertised feature of DIRECTV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.