fool58's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 11th, 2014 10:55 PM

Where is the Hallmark Channel?

I am new to At&t U verus. I was told when I signed up the Hallmark Channel was available.  It took me a week to finally realize you don't have it. Very misleading.

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

Did Crown Media once state that they didn't need AT&T because their ratings were and they were doing just fine without them?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@codycooper864 wrote:
Did Crown Media once state that they didn't need AT&T because their ratings were and they were doing just fine without them?

When you are averaging less than 1 million viewers daily, I don't see how it could hurt or help by adding another 1 or 2 viewers.

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

Good point. I am surprised the channel survives with such a low viewership.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I guess you guys are out of the loop. Hallmark's ratings have greatly improved. Cedar Cove has been the #1 show in its Saturday night time slot. The original films have seen increases, too. The ratings in 2010 were abysmal. It's not 2010 anymore. The truth is, Martha was dragging them down. Once they dropped her, ratings began to improve.

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

Hallmark is not missed in my household. I'm watching college football on Saturday night.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@mamaste wrote:
I guess you guys are out of the loop. Hallmark's ratings have greatly improved. Cedar Cove has been the #1 show in its Saturday night time slot. The original films have seen increases, too. The ratings in 2010 were abysmal. It's not 2010 anymore. The truth is, Martha was dragging them down. Once they dropped her, ratings began to improve.

While it may have 1 show that is winning a weekend time slot, it's still not anywhere near the top 25 shows for the week and it's ratings are still abysmal when compared to other networks. 

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

Winning a ratings battle on a Saturday night is like winning a game of poker aginst a bunch of people with no money.

Also, I just looked a the ratings for the show. It has never won the night in the number of viewers (that belongs to Nick and Lifetime) and it is never in the top 5 for the 18-49 ratings demographic.

Sources

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

11 years ago

I don't think ratings are what determines a channels lineup from a cable television provider. If that was vital, AT&T U-verse likely would not carry, for example, Justice Central. If this was the structure, we wouldn't have individual channels surprassing 100.

It seems like at least one of the two parties - Crown Media or AT&T U-verse - has been instrumental in not bringing back Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel. I don't know the details. Regardless whatever negotiations, the three years which have passed since after both left the lineup helps to answer the following question: "Which one can better survive without the other?" Both will claim they are doing well.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

@LoveHD wrote:

I don't think ratings are what determines a channels lineup from a cable television provider. If that was vital, AT&T U-verse likely would not carry, for example, Justice Central. If this was the structure, we wouldn't have individual channels surprassing 100.

It seems like at least one of the two parties - Crown Media or AT&T U-verse - has been instrumental in not bringing back Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel. I don't know the details. Regardless whatever negotiations, the three years which have passed since after both left the lineup helps to answer the following question: "Which one can better survive without the other?" Both will claim they are doing well.

Ratings doesn't wholly determine whether a network is carried by a provider but I'm sure it plays a part in how much said network wants to charge and how much a provider is willing to pay.  And therein lies the problem.

Hallmark wanted $xxx amount of money and ATT was unwilling to pay it as per this statement from ATT:

We are very disappointed that Hallmark has refused to provide AT&T and its customers with a fair deal one that is no worse than similarly-sized and smaller providers and refused to adhere to key obligations under our current deal. We offered to extend the current deal while talks continued, and Hallmark rejected that offer. We don’t want customers to lose their programming, but we believe strongly that our customers should not have to pay more than their fair share for Hallmark’s channels, which is exactly what Hallmark is demanding.”       8/2010

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

11 years ago

Hallmark - Your shows aren't as good as you seem to think they are. This is one time that I actually side with AT&T.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.