oobleck's profile

Scholar

• 

389 Messages

Friday, December 13th, 2013 3:39 AM

What happened to Classical Masterpieces?

A couple days ago I discovered that the Music Choice channels had been renumbered.  No problem, I thought, I'll just unhide whatever channel Classical Masterpieces is now on.  Wrong!  It's nowhere to be found, either in the channel list or the MC app, though it's still available on musicchoice.com.  Why would AT&T carry only 46 of the 50 MC channels?

--

oobleck

Scholar

• 

389 Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:
In addition on December 10, MC Classic Alternative (channel 5117), MC Romances (channel 5146), MC Classical Masterpieces (channel 5140), and MC Stage & Screen (channel 5126) will be removed from the U-verse channel line-up.

Thanks for the info, dwinth.  I wonder how they decided which four channels to drop.  Presumably they can keep track of how many people watch (or listen to) each channel.  Or is a Ouija board involved?

--

oobleck

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@oobleck wrote:

@dwinth wrote:
In addition on December 10, MC Classic Alternative (channel 5117), MC Romances (channel 5146), MC Classical Masterpieces (channel 5140), and MC Stage & Screen (channel 5126) will be removed from the U-verse channel line-up.

Thanks for the info, dwinth.  I wonder how they decided which four channels to drop.  Presumably they can keep track of how many people watch (or listen to) each channel.  Or is a Ouija board involved?

--

oobleck

I have never taken advantage of Music Choice or it's predecessor, but I still hate to see any music channels dropped. I enjoy classical music at times, but I prefer listening to my own CD's.  I have never been able to get into using a television music channel for my enjoyment. I should check out the remaining channels.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

I have Music Choice through another provider, and Classical Masterpieces is the only one of the listed channels I could find. I know we used to have Stage and Screen, because that was one of my favorites.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Here's a link to some semi-technical documentation that Music Choice has provided to its affiliates:

http://corporate.musicchoice.com/affiliates/channel-lineup-change-2013/

From glimpsing through them, my take away is that Music Choice has added some additional channels meaning there are more than the original 50 channels.  However, apparently providers subscribe to a number of channels package (e.g. 50) and now that there are more than 50, if the provider wishs to provide their subscribers with those extras, the provider would have to change their MC subscription.  If the provider doesn't, then some of the old channels (like Classical Masterpieces) have been replaced by others in the "first 50" and are no longer available to the provider's subscribers.

So, Music Choice changed things.  And it's all AT&T's fault.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Here's a link to some semi-technical documentation that Music Choice has provided to its affiliates:

From glimpsing through them, my take away is that Music Choice has added some additional channels meaning there are more than the original 50 channels.  However, apparently providers subscribe to a number of channels package (e.g. 50) and now that there are more than 50, if the provider wishs to provide their subscribers with those extras, the provider would have to change their MC subscription.  If the provider doesn't, then some of the old channels (like Classical Masterpieces) have been replaced by others in the "first 50" and are no longer available to the provider's subscribers.

I hope certain posters read your post, and the moderators can finally close the thread.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Jeffer and dwinth - I hope that we're not getting into who's fault it is because that can be played both ways.

Is it Music Choice's fault that AT&T only bought or made room for 46 channels, instead of 50, 52 or however many?  There were once 48 Urge channels.

Is it Music Choice's fault that U-Verse now carries say, "Pop Country" instead of "Classical Masterpieces?"  If you ask me, any "country" music made after 2000 is "pop" style music, yecch!    I doubt that MC foced AT&T into that.  

So I'm not sure if a document that says MC has over 50 music channels when AT&T only has 46 slots is a true "solution" to the OP's concern.  Wikipedia has a great timeline of MC past channels.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

dhascall, did you look at the documents I linked?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

dhascall, did you look at the documents I linked?

I did.  I read this with particular attention:

1. If the Music Choice digital audio feed is passed directly on to the cable plant i.e. no multiplexing or grooming of the signal, then the only action required is the addition of the four channels with updated MPEGs and Source IDs on the channel map in the controller.

Nowhere in there did it state that you would have to pay extra for these feeds.  I am sure, of course, that AT&T paid for 46 channels but MC has had 50, so they haven't always carried everything.  I also looked at another doc, in that schema that said that Tejano, Instrumentals and some Italian channel, were the new overflows.  So, I'm a bit confused.

From the carriage agreement that TG posted a few months back, it seems that AT&T had at least some say in the matter.  Some of the blame must fall with AT&T, maybe they could have negotiated to carry the extras, maybe said I do not want this channel or that.  Now of course, MC may be "maximiz(ing) and extend(ing) our brand and programming strategy" by moving some less important channels (to them) and dissing on Classical Masterpieces.  I know payola rukles only apply to DJ's, individual radio stations and so on but they do not apply to corporate broadcasters, so MC may be looking for a cash cow but it's not 100% MC's fault, IMHO.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

What I got out of the channel list (showing old and new allocations) is that MC had taken the Classical channel out of its normal place and moved it to an overflow area.  

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I got that too but AT&T still has 3 of the 4.  Ok it is indeed MC's fault that this occured (maybe other channels do make MC more money) but then it's up to AT&T and MC tro see how to handle it.

Brighthouse in our area added those four to the end:

1996Music Choice: Singers & Swing
1997Music Choice: Easy Listening
1998Music Choice: Classical Masterpieces
1999Music Choice: Light Classical

U-Verse still has three of the four, so, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that it was more than likely AT&T's call to keep those three and shelve "Masterpieces."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.