kendallquinn's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 8:07 PM

WWME and 2 other channels gone?

I am so frustrated with AT&T! My favorite old tv channels are gone? I recieved no warning! I'm old so I like my old shows and I am really sad they are gone. Am I the only one?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Citizen60123 wrote:
It continues to.amaze me that AT&T still does not get It. They keep alienating their customers by pulling popular channels. First Hallmark, then Scripps HGTV, etc. remember that fiasco?. Now weigle broadcasting METV. And soon Amc. Both cable companies carry all here in Elgin, Comcast and WOW. Come on AT&T you are losing whatever competitive advantage you may have had!!

You mean something that happened almost 2 years ago that lasted less than 3 days?

Yeah, you have quite a long list there. You should become a Dish Network customer so that you could create a much longer list.

By the way, a deal was reached today with AMC Networks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Sir, we still are blacked out. Just because the parties are talking does not mean they will reach an agreement. Yes, I CAN read. Thanks.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Citizen60123 wrote:
Sir, we still are blacked out. Just because the parties are talking does not mean they will reach an agreement. Yes, I CAN read. Thanks.

Blacked out of what?  The agreement between AMC Networks and AT&T has been reached.  It's a done deal!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

@pin wheels -2348 wrote:

Channels 23 & 48 are no longer available in my area. I question the value of ATT services, as Channels , like Hallmark and WWME are not available.  

Looks like the 23/48 problem is that Wiegal Broadcasting transitioned from 2 OTA channels (possibly transmitters in a different location-fact they had different call signs) to subchannels on the WCIU 26.x transmission.  WMME is now 26.3 and WMEU is 26.4.

ATT does not carry any subchannels in any markets and that is why those 2 channels were dropped. 😉

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weigel_Broadcasting#Stations_owned_by_Weigel_Broadcasting

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

12 years ago

I believe there are 2 VHO's that are affected by channel WME-28 (IND) channel 23 and WMEU-48 (IND) channel 48. One is CICRIL which services the Chicago area and affected suburbs. I believe theres a seperate VHO in IN that is also affected.

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

12 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@pin wheels -2348 wrote:

Channels 23 & 48 are no longer available in my area. I question the value of ATT services, as Channels , like Hallmark and WWME are not available.  

Looks like the 23/48 problem is that Wiegal Broadcasting transitioned from 2 OTA channels (possibly transmitters in a different location-fact they had different call signs) to subchannels on the WCIU 26.x transmission.  WMME is now 26.3 and WMEU is 26.4.

ATT does not carry any subchannels in any markets and that is why those 2 channels were dropped. 😉

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weigel_Broadcasting#Stations_owned_by_Weigel_Broadcasting

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Hummmm....

If these channels are now subchannels, the reply from Weigel needs some clarification.  I read it to mean "we're gonna fix it soon".  They'll have to do something other than subchannels to get back on Uverse.  Can they feed Uverse 23/48 and the rest of the world 23.x and 48.x ?

Related question:  is there some technical reason why Uverse doesn't "do" subchannels?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@k9jdk wrote:

Related question:  is there some technical reason why Uverse doesn't "do" subchannels?

I think it's a cost issue.

The "must carry" rule is a fairly hard rule that exists about local carriage.  Basically, if any provider carries any local channel in a certain market, they are required to carry all local channels in that market.

But the rule was written for NTSC broadcasts, and doesn't address subchannels.  I think AT&T is worried about setting a precedent.  If they start carrying one subchannel within a market, they're opening themselves up to requests and/or lawsuits from other subchannels to force them to carry them as well.

In Houston, I believe there are at least 10-15 subchannels that aren't carried.  If they were to start carrying one or two, they then might be in a situation where they would have to carry all of them.

While WMME and WMEU were low-power analog broadcast stations (Class "A"), AT&T was required under the must carry rule to carry them if they were normally considered receivable in the Chicago market.  Once they transitioned to a digital subchannel, it looks like AT&T dropped them to avoid having to carry all the other subchannels as well.

They might still be carrying them in areas where the digital subchannel cannot normally be received, if WMME and WMEU are still broadcasting in that area in analog on their low-power station.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe7777 wrote: 

They might still be carrying them in areas where the digital subchannel cannot normally be received, if WMME and WMEU are still broadcasting in that area in analog on their low-power station. 

That could be the case because the notice indicates that the channels would be removed "from portions of the Chicago market".  If those channels are now received as subchannel  in those portions of the Chicago market, I would not anticipate that they will return to those portions unless AT&T changes it's policy about carrying subchannels which would then affect carriage of subchannels in ALL of the U-verse markets.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

All I know is I had these channels, I watched these channels and now they are gone.  It is time to move on to another provider such as Comcast or one of the many satellite providers.  Either that or find the shows I like on an internet carrier like hulu.

We really don't need a land line either.   More savings.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I wish spokespeople from AT&T and Weigel Broadcasting would be honest and just tell the U-Verse subscribers what the real issues are here. 

This is what I received back from an email I sent to Weigel... "We expect service to be restored quickly to viewers within approximately 20-miles of downtown Chicago. We are working closely with AT&T to thereafter restore service to all other Chicago area viewers."

I'm 40 miles outside of downtown Chicago so for me, and many others like me, I guess it's just tough luck.  Weigel danced aroung that one.  Just like it or leave AT&T I guess!  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.