For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
em.e.white's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 4:04 PM

Closed

UVerse keeps freezing, losing signal

While I'm watching tv, the channel continues to freeze and then say the signal has been lost. It comes back within a minute or two, but is super frustrating because it's happening every few minutes. Some channels are worse than others. If I play on demand or a recording it doesn't do it, it's only with the live tv so it's super frustrating. Any ideas?

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

JefferMC,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't expect it be so quick and truly appreciate it.

We're connected by coax and we've made sure everything is tight everywhere.

The problem started this past Tuesday with one TV and spread to the others within two days or so.

If the signal is pretty good, then I'm stumped. Yesterday, the TV's were good through the morning, but started ramping up with no signal later in the day.

Today, we're losing the signal every 2-5 minutes. Throughout the week, there's been no consistent pattern. The times we lose the signal is random.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

If you haven't already, do a whole house reboot (unplug everything, then plug in the Gateway, when it is booted up, plug in the DVR, wait for it to boot up, then the others.

Since the coax constitutes a bus, any issue anywhere in the coax network can cause an issue, though the most likely places are at the splitter/diplexor and gateway.  

You might consider switching over to Ethernet, at least for the DVR.  If Frontier offers, you might switch to wireless boxes for the other TVs.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

JefferMC,

I replied a bit earlier, but don't see it. I'll try again.

After you mentioned our connection looks pretty good, we went back and re-checked everything once again.

Come to find out my husband switched out a splitter, which seemed to do the trick at the time, but a relative switched the same splitter out a second time and that's when the problems started. The splitter was switched to what my husband originally had and everything has been okay all day. I'm still keeping an eye on it, but fingers crossed. I'm going to keep your suggestions in mind anyway, just in case. Thank you so much for your help/replies. I still don't understand what happened. It really had me stumped. It started with one TV's cable box freezing up, all LED lights on, no response/wouldn't shut off and no signal to that one TV. It just grew from there. I'm hoping it's okay now. Again, thank you for your help. It really means alot.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

Be sure that when you replace a splitter, you must keep the following in mind:

• AT&T is not sending traditional baseband CATV on your coax.  It is running an HPNA network protocol over it, which has different requirements.
  • Leave no un-terminated (i.e. open) ports.  If you need 3 legs, use a 3 way splitter, do not use a 4 way and leave a port open.  If you must use a splitter that has too many ports, you must put a termination cap on the unused ports.  The termination prevents the signal reflecting back and interfering.
  • It should be at least 1 GHz-rated splitter.  Use the AT&T-provided one if at all possible

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hi All,

I had the same issue as you guys. I'm an ATT phone customer for 6+ years and U-Verse customer for 3 years now. I never had any issues until recently. I found the freezing (and never anything to explain it as the broadband is always good) was due to their modem/wifi router combo machine having extremely poor wifi capabilities. The broadband service itself wasn't the problem, in my case. It was their router. A quick (and needed fix if you are attempting 65mbps+ speeds as their router/modem combo is ill adept at handling anything over 30mbps) is to hook up your own router then have their modem source your router. Just bypass their built in router altogether. As soon as I did that my internet was perfect and, above all, consistent. Essentially, you turn their modem/router hybrid into a modem only. It does that job very well. I haven't had any issues with my wifi turning on and off since I switched to my own router. Hope that helps!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Our TV and internet keeps having this same problem, freezing often and losing signal. I have had 2 different techs come out and look for the problem and had the Modem/Router and the TV Box both replaced and that did not solve the problem. The tech said 1 pair of wires had a great signal and the other had voltage on it, the problems happen at random times during the day and night, and it seems to be getting worse. I emailed the tech's manager Ronnie at ra7882 at att.com and got no response, I also tried to text both of the techs that came out and have got no responses. I contacted Comcast tonight and found out their prices which are very comparable to Uverse, maybe a few dollars less, but I left Comcast for a reason...............the same reason I might be leaving AT&T if this isn't fixed this week.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Thank you so much, JefferMC. I had no idea and will let my husband know asap.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have had the same problem for about a month. I go on to get help and they put me through all kinds of resetting. Refreshing. Plugging and unplugging and it's never fixed.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Singapore1 wrote:

I have had the same problem for about a month. I go on to get help and they put me through all kinds of resetting. Refreshing. Plugging and unplugging and it's never fixed.

These sort of issues indicate a communications problem between your receivers and the AT&T network.

1. Does this happen on live TV, recordings or both?
  2. Does this happen on all receivers, or just some?
  3. How are your receivers connected to the AT&T Gateway? (Wirelessly, Coax or Ethernet Cable?  If Ethernet, any switches or routers in use?)
  4. How strong is your signal from AT&T at the Gateway? (go to http://192.168.1.254/ , click on the Broadband tab and look for a table of statistics with Sync rates, attenuation, SNR, and error counts.  Make a screencap of that table and post in a reply for our analysis.)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I can't find it now, but someone in here mentioned a strong nearby power source as a possible interference issue causing the TV picture to freeze. I realized today the spotlight had burned out, whose switch was on the same wall as the outlet the boxes are plugged into, and the switch was in the on position. Turned the switch off and viola, TV picture is fine now! I know this is an old thread but if this helps someone, as reading about the interference did for me, it's worth it!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.