Explore & discover

Helpful Links

UVerse keeps freezing, losing signal

Contributor

UVerse keeps freezing, losing signal

While I'm watching tv, the channel continues to freeze and then say the signal has been lost. It comes back within a minute or two, but is super frustrating because it's happening every few minutes. Some channels are worse than others. If I play on demand or a recording it doesn't do it, it's only with the live tv so it's super frustrating. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 28
Contributor

Re: UVerse keeps freezing, losing signal

DSL : Physical Line 1
Type Since Current Current Time Since
Period Reset 24-hr int. 15-min int. Last Event
Link Retrains 24 1 0 0:15:00
DSL Training Errors 0 0 0 0:00:00
Training Timeouts 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures 305 13 0 0:16:02
Loss of Signal Failures 24 1 0 0:16:01
Loss of Power Failures 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures 134 6 0 0:16:04
Cu. Seconds w/Errors 366 13 0 0:16:02
Cu.  Sec. w/Severe Errors 361 13 0 0:16:02
Corrected Blocks 17690 175 0 0:16:14
Uncorrectable Blocks 192050 7045 0 0:16:02
DSL Unavailable Seconds 1887 75 0 0:15:00
DSL : Physical Line 2
Link Retrains 24 1 0 0:15:00
DSL Training Errors 0 0 0 0:00:00
Training Timeouts 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures 296 10 0 0:15:58
Loss of Signal Failures 24 1 0 0:15:57
Loss of Power Failures 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures 158 8 0 0:16:05
Cu.  Seconds w/Errors 364 17 0 0:15:58
Cu.  Sec. w/Severe Errors 357 17 0 0:15:58
Corrected Blocks 4990 202 0 0:16:14
Uncorrectable Blocks 191538 9006 0 0:15:58
DSL Unavailable Seconds 1916 75 0 0:15:00
DSL : Aggregated Information
Loss of Framing Failures 601 23 0 0:15:58
Cu. Seconds w/Errors 27 1 0 0:16:02
Cu. Sec. w/Severe Errors 27 1 0 0:16:02
Corrected Blocks 22680 377 0 0:16:14
Uncorrectable Blocks 383588 16051 0 0:15:58

This is how mines look. I was told that “Seems like you’re not the only one having this issue” from the tech. And never heard back from my situation. And tech support in India says everything is fine and just reset everything. But issue keeps happening. Whole system goes out at specific times of the day like it is programmed to. Very disappointing when my wife works from home and the system goes out during her meetings everyday around 9am. 

Message 16 of 28
Tutor

My U-verse did the same thing from day one. The tech changed out the box
that transmits the signal. It fixed the problem. Sorry I don’t know what
the box is called. (It is not the wireless access point box or the
router.). Tell them to get you new equipment. Maybe that will help.
Message 17 of 28
Contributor

They already changed the gateway/modem for the same issue. It seemed to get worse with the signal. I would have to change channels for it to come back on no matter what channel I’m on. The biggest issue is that the whole system goes down for a few minutes around the same time everyday several times a day. It’s like AT&T has it programmed to do that everyday. It did it on the first and current equipment. AT&T seems to not know what’s going on but they claim there is not a problem they can see. It’s a bit frustrating that we pay all this money for the highest service but can only use it 60% of the time. 

Message 18 of 28
ACE - Expert

@KennyE01, I reformatted your output so I could read it.  You appear to be having intermittent signal issues between your gateway and the VRAD.  At the point you took the snapshot, the line had been fine for 16 minutes, but sometime in the previous 24 hours both lines needed to retrain (which means loss of service or a minute or two).  Since your last stats reset (probably last boot), this has happened 24 times, showing a cumulative error time of 6 minutes (which I don't think includes the time it's going through the retrains).  Another thing to note is that you have more hard (CRC) errors than soft (Corrected) errors.  This leads me to believe that some source of interference is coming on and going off and causing your issue.  That source of interference could be a street light, a noisy power supply in your home, a nearby radio operator, or a million other things. 

However, it's hard to troubleshoot that, even when the tech is onsite, if the source of noise isn't generating it when the tech has his test equipment on the line.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 28
Tutor

Good evening,

Hoping someone can help. All TVs in the house (3 in use) are becoming pixelated, freezing, then losing signal every 5 to 15 minutes all day & all night.

We've checked & re-checked everything we can thing of. This started a week ago and has never happened in all the time we've had AT&T U-Verse/Frontier.

I've copied & pasted our broadband status, if anyone can help me decipher it. I'm out of ideas. The next step is to have a tech come out. I've spoken to several reps and each time I do, the cable connection appears to get better. Within 5 to 24 hours, it's back to no signal. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

DSL Status
  Downstream Upstream
Line StateUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)32339
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)5041
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)68868
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)5041
ModulationVDSL2
Data PathInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)24.10
Line Attenuation (dB)19.60
Output Power(dBm)14.2-13.6
Errored Seconds00
Loss of Signal00
Loss of Frame00
FEC Errors32370
CRC Errors00
IPv6
StatusAvailable
Global Unicast IPv6 Address2602:252:d3e:7620::/60
Border Relay IPv4 Address32.223.104.10
IPv4 Statistics
Transmit Packets12425669
Transmit Errors0
Transmit Discards6
IPv6 Statistics
Transmit Packets0
Transmit Errors0
Transmit Discards0
Message 20 of 28
ACE - Expert

@kathycyr, your numbers, which indicate the quality of the signal between the Gateway and AT&T's network look pretty good.  Which now sends me to looking at the network between the Gateways and the DVR and the other TV Receivers:

1. How are they connected (Coax, Ethernet, Wi-Fi?)  
  2. If Wi-Fi, you do have a dedicated WAP from AT&T and it's at least 3 feet away from the Gateway?
  3. If Coax (especially the DVR), have you made sure all the connections are tight at each wall plate and the back of the device?
  4. If Ethernet, do you have a cable going directly from each TV Receiver to the Gateway, or are you using an Ethernet Switch?  If a switch, what else is on that switch?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 28
Tutor

JefferMC,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't expect it be so quick and truly appreciate it.

We're connected by coax and we've made sure everything is tight everywhere.

The problem started this past Tuesday with one TV and spread to the others within two days or so.

If the signal is pretty good, then I'm stumped. Yesterday, the TV's were good through the morning, but started ramping up with no signal later in the day.

Today, we're losing the signal every 2-5 minutes. Throughout the week, there's been no consistent pattern. The times we lose the signal is random.

Message 22 of 28
ACE - Expert

If you haven't already, do a whole house reboot (unplug everything, then plug in the Gateway, when it is booted up, plug in the DVR, wait for it to boot up, then the others.

Since the coax constitutes a bus, any issue anywhere in the coax network can cause an issue, though the most likely places are at the splitter/diplexor and gateway.  

You might consider switching over to Ethernet, at least for the DVR.  If Frontier offers, you might switch to wireless boxes for the other TVs.

Message 23 of 28
Tutor

JefferMC,

I replied a bit earlier, but don't see it. I'll try again.

After you mentioned our connection looks pretty good, we went back and re-checked everything once again.

Come to find out my husband switched out a splitter, which seemed to do the trick at the time, but a relative switched the same splitter out a second time and that's when the problems started. The splitter was switched to what my husband originally had and everything has been okay all day. I'm still keeping an eye on it, but fingers crossed. I'm going to keep your suggestions in mind anyway, just in case. Thank you so much for your help/replies. I still don't understand what happened. It really had me stumped. It started with one TV's cable box freezing up, all LED lights on, no response/wouldn't shut off and no signal to that one TV. It just grew from there. I'm hoping it's okay now. Again, thank you for your help. It really means alot.

Message 24 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Be sure that when you replace a splitter, you must keep the following in mind:

• AT&T is not sending traditional baseband CATV on your coax.  It is running an HPNA network protocol over it, which has different requirements.
  • Leave no un-terminated (i.e. open) ports.  If you need 3 legs, use a 3 way splitter, do not use a 4 way and leave a port open.  If you must use a splitter that has too many ports, you must put a termination cap on the unused ports.  The termination prevents the signal reflecting back and interfering.
  • It should be at least 1 GHz-rated splitter.  Use the AT&T-provided one if at all possible

Message 25 of 28
Contributor

Hi All,

I had the same issue as you guys. I'm an ATT phone customer for 6+ years and U-Verse customer for 3 years now. I never had any issues until recently. I found the freezing (and never anything to explain it as the broadband is always good) was due to their modem/wifi router combo machine having extremely poor wifi capabilities. The broadband service itself wasn't the problem, in my case. It was their router. A quick (and needed fix if you are attempting 65mbps+ speeds as their router/modem combo is ill adept at handling anything over 30mbps) is to hook up your own router then have their modem source your router. Just bypass their built in router altogether. As soon as I did that my internet was perfect and, above all, consistent. Essentially, you turn their modem/router hybrid into a modem only. It does that job very well. I haven't had any issues with my wifi turning on and off since I switched to my own router. Hope that helps!

Message 26 of 28
Contributor

Our TV and internet keeps having this same problem, freezing often and losing signal. I have had 2 different techs come out and look for the problem and had the Modem/Router and the TV Box both replaced and that did not solve the problem. The tech said 1 pair of wires had a great signal and the other had voltage on it, the problems happen at random times during the day and night, and it seems to be getting worse. I emailed the tech's manager Ronnie at ra7882 at att.com and got no response, I also tried to text both of the techs that came out and have got no responses. I contacted Comcast tonight and found out their prices which are very comparable to Uverse, maybe a few dollars less, but I left Comcast for a reason...............the same reason I might be leaving AT&T if this isn't fixed this week.

Message 27 of 28
Tutor

Thank you so much, JefferMC. I had no idea and will let my husband know asap.

Message 28 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support