kitdragon2000's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 7:58 AM

USB on U-verse Box

I have an external hard drive that I keep my movies on that I have in digital form. I travel a lot so I keep them there incase I don't have wireless access.... I noticed the USB port on the box, but when I tried to plug it in to see what happened.... It froze everything including all the other TV's in the house (My box is the main box....) 

is there a possibility of connecting my USB to the TV without taking up my laptop? What do you guys recommend?

Thank you ahead of time for any help.

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

The USB port on the UV receivers (STB) can be used to charge devices or power them on. They only serve as a logical device for special remote controls for Uverse.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kitdragon2000 - The USB does not allow connecting additional storage. If you want to capture content from an STB you need to "play" through video outputs to a video input.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I heard you can enable to port for storage some of the first receivers it was enabled

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, the support guy on chat told me that too, back in 2009.  He was wrong then and he is still wrong.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

I was able to charge an iPod Touch off a VIP1200. Some remotes have charging capabilities and the USB ports are good for that as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This is the type of thing I just don't get. UVerse cares enough about the charging of my devices to put a couple USB plugs on my receiver. However, the ability to play media through those same devices didn't come up?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

They were put on the reference hardware platform in the beginning, but the software hasn't been enabled to use them for anything other than power.  Plenty of valid explanations for this.

However, they are useful for the RF/IR dongle for the AT&T U-verse Point Anywhere remote control.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

They were put on the reference hardware platform in the beginning, but the software hasn't been enabled to use them for anything other than power.  Plenty of valid explanations for this.

However, they are useful for the RF/IR dongle for the AT&T U-verse Point Anywhere remote control.

I'm sure a lot of them are legal reasons, aka "don't steal this movie." But yeah, as already said, it *is* perfectly possible to put a TV show on a laptop or computer, you just need to be willing to do a lot of work in order to do so.

For the people that travel a lot, I'd recommend a Slingbox. As an added bonus, it's also a good way to tell if your house still has power. (Slingbox won't work without electricity.)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

How to download movies from te STB to an external hard drive?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.