rathbone1's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 3:31 PM

U-Verse TV keeps freezing

I have had  U-verse TV and Internet for several years throughout which I've had problems with the TV picture freezing and then losing connection. When this happens, my Internet goes out as well. I've rebooted the system and it works for a while. Techs have been out numerous times and temporarily fixed the problem only to have it re-occur later on down the road. This is extremely frustrating and I'm considering going back to my old cable company and using ATT DSL for my Internet. In those days, I had no such problems.

I've had the router and DVR replaced twice. My DVR sits on top of my DVD/VCR combo player. My computer is in a room other than my TV but nearby. The latest malfunction was last night. This morning it seems to be working....for now... but the thought of a shutdown always looms. My next door neighbor has Uverse and doesn't experience these problems.

Any suggestions?

[subject edited as new topic was created] -moderator

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

You have a single twised-pair Ethernet cable running from the Residential Gateway (RG or "modem") to your TV receiver that's acting up?  Do you have more than one TV receiver, and are all of them doing this?  What brand/model RG do you have?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Yes it's a single ethernet cable. The RG is the one AT&T brought. Says Arris NVG589 on the front. I have the one receiver in the living room connected to the RG then two others that are run off a wireless box. When the one in my living room is out they're all out.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

Got it fixed?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Same thing here.  Same exact story.  Only they also dug up my neighbors yard up the street to find nothing wrong.  They said, well maybe some wires got moved around or jolted, but we couldn't find any issues.  They worked on this for weeks.  Then it was fine for a couple months, now the same thing.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So frustrating. We have had the same thing happen over and over again. Techs have been out, devices have been exchanged and replaced, account was closed and re-opened to try and find a solution. Nothing has fixed the problem. We are going to switch providers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am so glad your story had an happy ending. Mine has been a NIGHTMARE !!!

I have been with AT&T since 2003. My trouble began with ordering uverse. It kept freezing, sounds blips...became insane to try to watch TV. Two  (2) techs came out and tried to fix it- storys ends with me canceling the service between horrible u verse and slow internet. Then the real NIGHTMARE BEGAN...They billed me for u verse after I had canceled my service and have charter ( which I hate).. they kept billing for u-verse and my phones and threaten to turn off my phones if it was not paid. This went on 6 months and still going on.  I am about to move ALL my phones to another carrier, sad really so many years- you would think to expect loyatly from them since I have been a well paing customer for 13 years but that and a quarter will buy you a bubble gum ball.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

aviewer,

I tried all that you stated but it will still freeze about every 6-8 minutes.  If I change the channel, it seems like it is ok for another 6-8 minutes before freezing again and losing connection.  If I'm changing channels, it's all good.  It only freezes when on one channel (any channel) for more than 5 minutes.  What else can I do?  My equipment is as follows:

Arris NVG599 (Gateway)

Cisco ISB7105 (Wireless Receiver)

Arris VIP2250 (Wired Main DVR)

Cisco VEN501-AT (Wireless Access Point)

I am on the U-verse 450 bundle with Gigapower internet speed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

What and where is the terminal box?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Since getting this service, every day while watching TV the service cuts out. I watch only a few hours a day. Today for example (Christmas) I'm watching from 9:30a to 10:15a. I videoed 6 interruptions of anywhere from 10 secs to 1.5 mins. This is unacceptable. What is best way to resolve?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

it is recommended to disable IPv6 if you are experiencing these issues.

To Disable IPv6 on the NVG589 please follow these steps:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/Slow-connection-using-Google-Facebook-and-certain-sites-after/m-p/4204960#M382

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.